Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:15 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,

Let me to introduce myself for the "n" time... Summarizing: Spaniard, chemical engineer with experience as Business Development in Power and Process Engineer in Oil & Gas both in a large contractor in Spain, now I am living in Mexico with my wife looking for jobs worldwide since 1 year and a half in a desperate situation of unemployment/jobless.

Now, the current situation: I have a job offer in Mexico, in a city near of Mexico City, in one of the safest cities in this country (which is really hard to find). They processed me a work permit (is similar to a VISA sponsorship) and gave me a month to start working with them. The company is local but the most relevant in the city. I will start working on next monday and the position is Project Developer (project definition, plant site visits and economic estimations) that includes travelling to Central America (I am not comfortable with those countries) and domestic travelling as well. The salary is low but not as terrible as an average salary for a junior engineer in Mexico.

After signing the economical proposal and also a rent house contract for 4 months, in the meantime I couldn´t believe I have been contacted by another employer in United Kingdom. Once again, I got this opportunity through an ATS (Application Tracking System) "brassring" and honestly is much better for me. The position is for Bid Coordinator with power generation projects and is almost the same as my previous experience as Business Development. The job is based in a city placed in southern UK, just below London and 1 hour commuting by train. The position requires almost 0 travelling and the company is... can´t believe... Mott MacDonald, one of the largest consultancy and engineering companies worldwide. It´s too early though, I only passed a quick HR interview and this morning I had the round 1 with a Director. This is the second time I have an interview passing an ATS in Europe despite I have 1 year and a half unemployed and living overseas in Mexico, the first one is still in progress.

It´s too early but what if I am successful with United Kingdom? What can I do with the mexican employer? I want to make sure I will land a job and I am more interested in Mott MacDonald and therefore in United Kingdom rather than in Mexico (obvious reasons don´t need to explain, right?). What a hell to overcome this situation of unemployment and no reason to live and now I am so stressed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Can you afford to lose the money from the 4 months housing contract you already signed in Mexico? If so then go for what you want in the UK. And what's an economic proposal? Is it anything binding you to that job?

Old 07-05-2016, 09:31 AM

Of course I can lose the money of 4 month rent, is less than 1000$ (USD), we are talking about Mexico, I have euros and more than enough savings of my last jobs. Economic proposal is only a letter to accept the salary given by the employer, is not a contract. I am processing the work permit and I will sign the contract shortly. In respect of this position in UK is still in an early stage I know but... what if...

Old 07-05-2016, 09:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Sounds like you really don't want the Mexico job. Since UK and Mexico are worlds apart, literally and figuratively, I'd hold out for the UK job and be more selective of where I apply in the future to ensure I don't end up somewhere I don't want to be. This is all assuming you can be selective and have enough cash to be unemployed longer (which it sounds like is the case).

Old 07-05-2016, 01:21 PM

Thank you Mr_Geek for your quick reply and sorry to be late since I am preparing the luggage. The Mexico job is not bad at all, it´s a great opportunity, an engineering technical-oriented role that is valuable to gain experience. Considering I am not an expat (I mean somebody that was offered a job at home country and go overseas with benefits) and I went to this country to apply for jobs from the scratch, having a job offer as a Project Developer (industry not computing) is a step to come back home. The problem is the salary, is not bad for Mexico because of the low life expenses but the problem would be returning Spain, despite is not an expensive country, life expenses are greater than Mexico.

I thought about what I will do. Unfortunately, I can´t lose an opportunity because I need to make more experience as I mentioned in other occasions, working as an engineer. I thought I can accept the Mexico job and if needed I can set interviews on midnight Mexico time that is morning time in the UK. I have spoken with the Director that interviewed me and I told him I can´t go to the UK to interviews and He told me to not worry about it. In the case that I have a job offer... is Mott MacDonald, those opportunities are really difficult to get, even more considering I am a long-term unemployed and not living in the country. In this sense, if finally I am rejected from the Mott MacDonald selection process, at least I have the chance to work as an engineer in Mexico. I am not planning to stay in this country for a long time, only as requested to gain experience and come back home or in the case I land a job in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, USA (surely not) in the future, I would think about living there for a longer time but... Mexico... is Mexico, you know...

By the way, do you know if it´s legal to resign a job a few days later if you signed a contract? (in the case I would have another job offer in Europe, I have another two processes opened right now).

I know, this is crazy, I don´t know what happened but my life turned to be weird.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:34 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
I see oil in Mexico come up a lot, as in they have a lot of it, but they don't have infrastructure and it is too costly to build it when they have other easier options (part of it is in cartel land). That puts a "cap" on the job? And if you have to travel to south america, how safe is it with the govts as they are?

UK has brexit to worry about, mott may move some offices out of the UK in the future? would that impact you if you had to move later? Could you do a regional thing from Mexico for Mott? And be their guy in the western hemisphere, or anywhere else worldwide. Or even if you can "work" in the UK if they don't have it in the brexit agreement

Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I see oil in Mexico come up a lot, as in they have a lot of it, but they don't have infrastructure and it is too costly to build it when they have other easier options (part of it is in cartel land). That puts a "cap" on the job? And if you have to travel to south america, how safe is it with the govts as they are?

UK has brexit to worry about, mott may move some offices out of the UK in the future? would that impact you if you had to move later? Could you do a regional thing from Mexico for Mott? And be their guy in the western hemisphere, or anywhere else worldwide. Or even if you can "work" in the UK if they don't have it in the brexit agreement
Thank you for your answer. Oil & Gas in Mexico have faced lots of lay offs, I tried to apply to many jobs but I was unsuccessful. Fortunately my previous experience is Process Engineer working in a turnkey project in a big contractor and at office, I could adapt such experience to a similar position in other industries (this position in Mexico involves food, plastics, chemicals and mining industries). In respect of the opportunity in the UK, is for thermal power projects and I have previous experience with power plants, also working for the same contractor. I see the power generation market easier and more stable than Oil & Gas and I am thinking about continuing my career in power market if I would have the opportunity in the future.

Being 1 year and a half unemployed, I can`t afford to be unemployed longer so I thought about accept this job in Mexico meanwhile and keep on applying for jobs in a matter of 5-6 months. It´s better than being unemployed.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:04 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
We are in a down environment for oil and gas. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Take the Mexico job. Besides it will stop the gap in your resume.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
We are in a down environment for oil and gas. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Take the Mexico job. Besides it will stop the gap in your resume.
Exactly, we have a similar quotation in spanish something like... "it´s better a bird in hand rather than hundreds flying" Anyway, I feel lucky after all. I see sad stories from spaniards living abroad such as people with degrees working as a waitress or in a Starbucks. At least this is an engineering job and all the opportunities I am having in Europe are for engineering roles as well. Maybe I have gaps in my resume but I am proud to have all my experience working as engineer.

I will accept the job in Mexico unless I have a job offer from the Mott MacDonald position which is by far better, I think is even a great job for an english engineer, but in the other hand, this position in Mexico involves basic engineering and cost-estimating engineering which seems to be really interesting to improve my resume.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:32 AM

68 posts, read 123,428 times
If I was you I would focus less on the what-if and more on what is reality in front of me. How many other people are on that UK job list?

If you don't want the job in Mexico then do the employer a favor and let them give it to someone else. Otherwise I would take the offer I was given and focus on the other opportunity as it happens.

Passing an ATS is light years from being offered a job. That's like saying because I bought a lotto ticket for the Friday drawing I should quit my job search because I could win the lotto on Friday.

Don't get ahead of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search