Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:58 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times

Advertisements

Remember that old animated commercial which asked "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?"

Well, maybe it is time I do a new animated commercial and ask "How many applications does it take to get a job in the rust belt?"

I am coming up on 100 applications in 3 months of job searching, still no job offers. Nada. Nothing. Big fat zero. At the beginning of my job search, I originally estimated it would take me 300 applications, and 10 interviews before I received a job offer. Surprisingly, I have had 10 interviews out of 86 applications, but still no job offers.

Should I be discouraged?

Or should I just laugh about my pathetic job search results?

I am leaning toward the latter, because laughing makes me feel better.

BTW, I have been applying for office/admin/customer service jobs and even part-time minimum wage retail jobs. I am qualified for the jobs I apply to, in fact I may be over-qualified for many of the jobs. But there is not much going on in the rust belt and unless you know someone (wish I did, my fault) your chances of getting a job is slim to nothing. I noticed many people in my neighborhood are on disability, seems like welfare and disability are the current ways to survive in the rust belt.

I think it is time to move, there is only so much laughing one can do, laughing isn't going to pay the bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 AM

521 posts, read 292,738 times
- What kind of jobs are you exactly looking for? based on experience
- how do you apply? company website, recruiters, indeed, linkedin?
- how did your 10 interviews go? what did you feel?
- did you consider applying outside new york?
- did they check references? do you have good references?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Most people getting jobs these days aren't getting it from blind job applications filled out by the hundreds.

People are using things like Linked In and networking to find jobs.

So perhaps a more targeted approach is necessary. You have to realize how many people are applying to each position.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:43 PM

18 posts, read 16,462 times
That is normal, many people are in your same situation. Sometimes it takes a little bit of luck but make sure you network because you never know who can help you. You seem in a good state of mind so just keep your head up and continue to apply.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
- What kind of jobs are you exactly looking for? based on experience
Mostly office/admin/customer service jobs that require a minimum of an associates degree (I have a bachelor's) and 4+ years experience (I have 10+ years experience)

Quote:
- how do you apply? company website, recruiters, indeed, linkedin?
Company websites, a few recruiters (useless in my opinion), Indeed, Monster, NYS Job Bank, Craigslist

Quote:
- how did your 10 interviews go? what did you feel?
The 10 interviews went OK. Nothing special. The majority of the interviews consisted of the interviewer doing most of the talking, basically just talking about the job responsibilities, etc. I don't think they were really interested in hiring me, I got the vibe on the majority of the 10 interviews that they already had an "internal" candidate picked out. Plus, I feel I was over qualified and perhaps too old (I have grey hair that I like and don't want to dye) for most of the hiring managers at the interviews.

What I don't like about the majority of the interviews, is they always told me they would get back to me either way, but out of the 10, I only heard back with rejections from 3. I guess interviewers "feel" like they have to say they will get back to you either way when they are face to face with you at an interview, so they don't sound rude, but after you leave all bets are off. I guess that's people for you...

Quote:
- did you consider applying outside new york?
I have been debating applying outside of NY, taking my address of my resume. However I am applying for lower level office jobs and I doubt a small company in Arizona is going to call a candidate living in NY. That's one long drive for the interview!

I will need to move to an area, and apply for jobs locally. The problem is I don't know what area of the country has a hot job market. I suppose any place that isn't the rust belt.

Quote:
- did they check references? do you have good references?
Only one interviewer asked for my references. I called my references the night after the interviewer to give them a heads up. Come to find out, they were never called by the interviewer. I don't believe it is a reference problem.

I think this area of the country just sucks, plain and simple. I originally posted this thread to see if my job search problems are typical. Should it really take 100+ job applications to get a job in this country if one has education and good work skills and experience? Seemingly in my case, yes.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Most people getting jobs these days aren't getting it from blind job applications filled out by the hundreds.

People are using things like Linked In and networking to find jobs.

So perhaps a more targeted approach is necessary. You have to realize how many people are applying to each position.
How does one use LinkedIn to find jobs?

How does one network? I have spoken to my family members about my job search, asking if there is any job openings where they work, but everyone says no one is hiring, or say to me "you don't want to work there." People in this area get really pissy and selfish about jobs, if you ask anyone about getting a job where they work, they get defensive, I guess maybe they are thinking I am going to take their jobs.

Should I just walk into places and introduce myself to someone and say I need a job?

I am willing to network but I have no idea how to do it.

Any advice on where to start?

Old 06-27-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmbam View Post
That is normal, many people are in your same situation. Sometimes it takes a little bit of luck but make sure you network because you never know who can help you. You seem in a good state of mind so just keep your head up and continue to apply.
Thanks. I was beginning to think my crappy job search results was an anomaly. You never really hear of others applying for close to 100 jobs with zero results. At least not here on the City-Data Job Search forum.

Yes, it is going to take a lot of luck for me to land a job. Which is why I am also trying my hand at the "Law of Attraction." Laughing about my job search keeps me from getting depressed.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:43 AM

521 posts, read 292,738 times
wow! I don't think you did anything wrong in my opinion, but from your response it seems you don't have a linkedin profile? I can't imagine getting a job without it.

few tips:
1- create a profile similar to your resume
2- add a summary
3- add connections - start with your coworkers and some recruiters
4- join groups
5- download linkedin job search app - very helpful

Old 06-27-2016, 08:47 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
If you're not getting interviews, your resume is definitely the culprit. Try to make sure that you are looking at the job description and re-matching (not copying) what the responsibilities actually are. And if you're selling yourself for more than one type of job, you need multiple resumes!

Old 06-27-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
If you're not getting interviews, your resume is definitely the culprit. Try to make sure that you are looking at the job description and re-matching (not copying) what the responsibilities actually are. And if you're selling yourself for more than one type of job, you need multiple resumes!
I am getting interviews, no job offers. I have 5 different resumes tailored to the jobs I apply to. I keep track in a spreadsheet of each job I apply to, date applied, company, resume I used, where I applied etc. I am not selling myself on the interviews, I guess. Although, the vibe I have gotten from the ten interviews I have been on in the past 3 months is they didn't intend on hiring me before I even walked into the door. Interviewing is all about personality. I lean toward Asperger's with regard to my personality, plus I am a more creative person who doesn't mind seeing the humor in life. Many of the interviewers I have spoken to seemed rather uptight. I guess I haven't clicked with the right person yet.

I had another phone interview this morning, don't think it went well after I told them my salary range of $15/hr. I have another in-person interview scheduled for Thursday for my first data analysis position. I love data and programming databases, I should be a shoo in for the job, but I have a "feeling" they are looking for a younger person who has database experience (good luck) and has lots of marketing/development experience. I told the hiring manager honestly on the phone that I had NO development experience. Don't think it went over too well. That damn Asperger's kicking in, sometimes I am too honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search