Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 631 times

Advertisements

I had worked at the same place for over 10 years. I decided to leave in order to work with family in business...and it did not work out. Long story , but it was over personal issues. I have a B.A. degree in English and a Master's in Library and Information Science. I left my longtime job in June 2014. I then left working with family in April 2015. Since then I have been getting by (kind of!) through selling items online, working for some on-demand companies as an independent contractor and also helping a family friend with some property they own, doing some property management type tasks.

I have applied for jobs and got interviews , but no offers. I have so far only applied for library jobs. At this point I am open to almost anything. I was doing real estate with family, and I have had a strong interest in real estate as well.
One issue is that i'm not really on speaking terms anymore with family I was doing business with. I did put that experience on my resume, but I don't want the employer to contact them. I put that I was a partner, which is true so I didn't really have a boss or manager. Even though it was in real estate I related it to the library world by mentioning that I researched properties to purchase,etc.
The other things that I have been doing to get by, I'm not sure if I should put them on my resume.

My last interview was in March of this year, but now that it is July it will be an even bigger gap.
Should I put my online selling experience on my resume to fill in the gap?
I'm also considering looking for a position in another field, but I don't know if this would be a big mistake if I wanted to return to the library field at some point. I am enrolled in courses to get my real estate license and I know there are some real estate office jobs that require the license or being enrolled in classes.

What would you do in my situation?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:01 PM

461 posts, read 509,213 times
I would volunteer in the meantime to keep busy and put on your resume to fill in gaps. You can volunteer anywhere and it will help. Library, humane society, big brother-big sisters, nursing home etc... This can also help you network and shows that you aren't just sleeping all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search