U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:44 AM

37,958 posts, read 27,331,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
This. It probably has to be signed off on by HR, the department head, then the division head/VP of whatever, all of which creates opportunities for breakdown.
And if it is a public university, there will be more levels of sign off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 AM

627 posts, read 694,118 times
Most academic jobs at a university will take at least this long. My wife accepted one recently from first interview to signing a letter of intent was over two months.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:59 AM

41 posts, read 16,043 times
Mine is almost two month by next week. I am just anxious lol. I am just wondering can I TRUST the email said "it would be sent to you soon". I hope they are really working on it...
Yes, mine is in a public university.
So anyone knows background check will be after the offcial offer or before it? And my application status on the website is still "in progress". It doesn't seem to be changed. But the job that I have been denied is changed into "position filled".

Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwindyusa View Post
Yes, mine is in a public university.
Oh shoot, there can be many levels of approval then. Many.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:11 PM

Omg!!
IS there any chance that any level wouldn't approve of it? Or is it just a standard process?

Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 PM

627 posts, read 694,118 times
Usually a chair of the department has final say, if the chairman wants you, it is just a matter of time and approvals to all go through. Did you get any sense from the chair of the department?

Old 07-06-2016, 12:22 PM

Well, The director sent me she submitted my name to the HR so HR could process it and get approval from different level. I haven't get any chance to meet with the chair...the director interviewed me and informed me the decision. Also she introduced me to some research staff in her department but no higher level persons.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
Usually a chair of the department has final say, if the chairman wants you, it is just a matter of time and approvals to all go through. Did you get any sense from the chair of the department?
Yeah, usually it is just a matter of time then, unless there are budget issues. I don't know which state but for our state the FY ends 6/30, so this position would be on a FY17 as a start, and that might cause some delays (as financial approvers are probably focusing on closing on FY16). Probably not though.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:36 PM

I am in PA. Should every state has the same FY starting date? If the FY16 is ending at 6/30, then they are probably busy with the financial things~ should I send an email to director to ask or just wait until she contact me?I don't want to push her and I don't want make things worse....

Old 07-06-2016, 12:55 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,668 posts, read 1,239,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwindyusa View Post
I am in PA. Should every state has the same FY starting date? If the FY16 is ending at 6/30, then they are probably busy with the financial things~ should I send an email to director to ask or just wait until she contact me?I don't want to push her and I don't want make things worse....
I think you're freaking out for no reason.

Poster Timberline, who is quite knowledgeable and has worked at a top University has told you that your process is moving quite fast. When I got accepted into a PhD program couple of years ago (didn't attend), I got the impression that six months was the norm.

Relax, take a deep breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search