Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 01:05 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times

Advertisements

I supposedly have a job pending a background check and a drug test. I usually do not do recreational drugs. To clarify I do not use most recreational drugs with the exception of taking a hit of a joint when I am drunk. Therefore, I may actually have a job on 7/11. I no longer get too excited about these things as numerous job offers have been withdrawn from me in recent months.

One of them was probably for the best, but it was extremely unprofessional. I went to a strip club advertising for a dj. I auditioned and everybody there loved me. All the dancers were hugging me and the manager was gushing, saying I am great and I will make a lot of money. Despite the questionable morality of such an establishment I was quite happy. I showed up to work the next day and the Owner arrives, looks at me, and explains his partner made a mistake. Someone else from down South was already hired. He said I was really well liked, and if something changes they will bring me in. I was quite teed off. I did not even shake the guy's hand. I mumbled have a good day or something and stormed out of the building.

Just last week I talked on 2 occasions to people at a department where i worked seasonal at before. I was told there is a stock opening and I could work 20-25 hrs. I responded I need a job, so I'll accept what you are offering. I was told to call HR for my schedule. The next day I call, and the HR woman drops the bomb and says, "I am sorry things have changed, we are not hiring at this point"

There have been other incidents, but it is tedious to remember them all. This is what happens in this so called improved economy. What a lie! This economy has been the same since 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 05:01 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
what metro are you in? Personally, i've moved cities/states a handful of times (especially when the economy was not so hot). Obviously that's not a choice for everyone..Don't let it discourage you though - keep trying!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:53 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Well, I'm agreeing with you, OP. Seen similar. Jobs offered, the number of hours changed. Go to interview then find they are not hiring afterall.
I had one offer a few years ago and did all the preliminary background check, physical, drug test, references, salary offer, written offer, the BAM they called last minute to say that an ''internal candidate'' had stepped forward and she got the job.
I think employers will do anything willy nilly to save a dime.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Because you, and some others have had bad luck does not mean the economy is bad, nor the same as 2008. When I was looking in early 2009 I got a great job, have had 2 promotions since, and now as a manager have hired 4 people. We have had many people retire or accept better paying jobs elsewhere over the last year, so much that HR has a backlog of openings to fill. As jribe indicated some places are doing better than others. If unwilling/able to move, fewer jobs and the competition reduces your chances so naturally it will take longer.

Good luck on that job you may have job on 7/11.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:04 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Because you, and some others have had bad luck does not mean the economy is bad, nor the same as 2008.
Federal tax receipts and state tax receipts usually both start to fall as we enter a new recession and that is precisely what is taking place right now.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Our state property tax is up about 2 billion over last year due to the rising values and new homes built. We have another billion in tax revenue for pot sales. Retail is up 9.4%. This from the state department of revenue.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Federal tax receipts and state tax receipts usually both start to fall as we enter a new recession and that is precisely what is taking place right now.

And yet, we collected a record amount federal tax revenue for the first half of 2016. Government Collects Record-High Taxes in First Half of FY 2016

Old 07-11-2016, 04:50 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
What's wrong with a strip club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search