U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 08:48 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,171,992 times

Advertisements

I had applied for a stocker position. Hope it's different from the night-stocker,which DOES require night shifts.

I'm just afraid they're going to assign me the graveyard shift and that for me is a no-no. (In part, having no car, I'd have to rely on others, who have day schedules, to get there. Plus, I have medicine and it's normally worn off at night and I cannot function well without the meds working.)

I guess I'm just nervous about ANY 24/7 joint because of the fear of the dreaded 3rd shift.

(Anything going after midnight or before 5 a.m. is a deal breaker for me.)

Also, another thing, though not quite related to the night shift, is what does a Hy-vee stocker do? Their job descriptions often are the same (or close) for each position and it keeps appearing like each person is doing the job of five people.

While I can do stocking and stuff, it also mentions a bunch of direct customer interaction stuff mixed in there with the stocker position and with Aspergers, I'd like to avoid those types of duties if at all possible.

(Also, I do have a CS Bachelors and have a shot at getting a job in my field, but may have to wait 1-3 more months to get the 2nd interview due to a staffing issue or something.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 12:38 PM

10,150 posts, read 17,916,694 times
What is a Hy-vee?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM

12,661 posts, read 11,384,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What is a Hy-vee?
https://www.hy-vee.com/

A grocery chain.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:26 PM

704 posts, read 510,412 times
Tell them you want to interact with customers. You in Iowa Illinois or where? Either way you're working with good folks there.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 PM

6,231 posts, read 5,644,656 times
Usually the job description states whether or not it's overnight or not. If you get to the interview and it is overnight, politely ask them if there is something else available. They would rather fill some position than have you walk out the door.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:52 PM

504 posts, read 890,733 times
In my experience (10 years of retail, most of it overnight) the 3rd shift jobs will be specifically for that shift only.

Stockers (as the name implies) stock shelves. I wouldn't know the particulars, but most likely you would be pulling items from the stockroom and placing them on the shelves. Since you are on the floor during store hours, you are expected to interact with and help customers - you can't just say "it's not my job". Also you will probably be expected to cross train as well with other jobs like cashier so that you can back them up.

If your local Hy Vee store is like ours, it is huge and crowded. If you are on the spectrum, something on the floor would probably not be a good fit. I would maybe see if you could work in the stockroom/warehouse unloading trucks, moving pallets, etc or being the cart attendant. A lot less interaction with customers that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or