Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:46 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,043 times

Advertisements

Spoke twice with recruiter at the company. Rather nice and relaxed type of interview style. Next she wanted to arrange an phone interview between myself and the mgr there. I had expressly told her that I was available all of the following week with the exception of THURSDAY. We chat on and schedule the Monday of that next week for a phone interview at 10am. I get a call and email on Monday morning to say the mgr can not do the interview that day . But can do it on THURSDAY. I had stated to her that THURSDAY was out in the previous phone call.

Now to me I smell a rat and feel they were being very playful and less than respectful to me.

This I know was merely a junior position but still , if they had selected somebody else, just say sorry but in fact the position was filled. Was she playing a trick on me or something ?. There is no other explanation.

I mean why on earth would you pick the very day to interview when I had expressly indicated my unavailability on that day. She knew that.

After thinking about I sent her an email to indicate I was not happy with the situation and would be advising other job seekers to be cautious in dealing with this company.

Be careful in your interviews and not all interviews are equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 04:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Default You smell a rat because you choose to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Spoke twice with recruiter at the company. Rather nice and relaxed type of interview style. Next she wanted to arrange an phone interview between myself and the mgr there. I had expressly told her that I was available all of the following week with the exception of THURSDAY. We chat on and schedule the Monday of that next week for a phone interview at 10am. I get a call and email on Monday morning to say the mgr can not do the interview that day . But can do it on THURSDAY. I had stated to her that THURSDAY was out in the previous phone call.

Now to me I smell a rat and feel they were being very playful and less than respectful to me.

This I know was merely a junior position but still , if they had selected somebody else, just say sorry but in fact the position was filled. Was she playing a trick on me or something ?. There is no other explanation.

I mean why on earth would you pick the very day to interview when I had expressly indicated my unavailability on that day. She knew that.

After thinking about I sent her an email to indicate I was not happy with the situation and would be advising other job seekers to be cautious in dealing with this company.

Be careful in your interviews and not all interviews are equal.
Wow, did you overreact.

NO other explanation? How about ...

She forgot that you said that?
The manager really was only available on Thursday and the recruiter thought she would see if you could change your plans that day?

Being so paranoid is not going to help you. Employers really don't have time to play tricks on people like you imagined. And sending her a huffy email about warning other job seekers just tanks your chances for getting hired there or by anyone else she knows.

Be smarter next time.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:36 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
I guess you don't really need that job, huh?

Do you really think that recruiters and hiring managers have nothing better to do so they make up 'tricks' to play on their applicants? Wow. We see about 35 applicants a week out a pool of over 150 applications....we don't have time to pee much less play games with you.

That email was totally uncalled for and I can guarantee you'll never get another interview at that company.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Do you really think that recruiters and hiring managers have nothing better to do so they make up 'tricks' to play on their applicants? Wow. We see about 35 applicants a week out a pool of over 150 applications....we don't have time to pee much less play games with you.

That email was totally uncalled for and I can guarantee you'll never get another interview at that company.

I was so pissed . I did send an email to her HR director. I really could care less about getting a job in this company, given all the details here. First time to do that and I have to say last time , unless it is of serious concern. She contacted just now to say there was a misunderstanding and wanted to talk about it. Just standard practice I think. Also, stated she still wanted to chat about the position.

It was only part time anyhow. So , I vented my spleen on this one. Never happened before and never again I must say. Not good getting worked up over this stuff.

But you know what , the whole thing just did not add up . Like nothing I have gone through before. I still believe she was misleading me though.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:53 PM

902 posts, read 746,871 times
If she didn't write it down, then she forgot. Her life does not revolve around some prospective candidate, I am sure she has other work to do that is more important and more pressing than remembering that some person she talked to last week mentioned something about a Thursday being unavailable.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:01 PM

68 posts, read 123,188 times
I think an email or call reminding her that Thursday wouldn't work (again) would have been a better approach. She may be the recruiter at the firm you do want to work at next.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:26 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Looks like the OP didn't after all. Although in this employer's market, its refreshing to see a candidate who isn't desperate for any job.

Quote:
Not saying its true in this case but many recruiters/staffing agencies post fake jobs all the time. Why do you think recruiters have the same reputation as politicians and lawyers?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:28 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
If she didn't write it down, then she forgot. Her life does not revolve around some prospective candidate, I am sure she has other work to do that is more important and more pressing than remembering that some person she talked to last week mentioned something about a Thursday being unavailable.
Totally understandable. However, these people are supposed to excel in multi-tasking and managing multiple, conflicting priorities. They should be capable of seeing the small details and being able to do more than one thing at a time.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:44 PM

But I did send the email and left voicemail with her too , that is the bit I am annoyed with and heard nothing back

See she was so interactive up till the time I tell her Thursday did not work, again. Nothing after it . You see where I am coming from. All of a sudden nothing . No call nor email .

Now bear in mind , the original position was filled and she was looking at the part time gig as an experimental position. There was no actual listing for this one anywhere. Until Sunday when it is posted. Then on Monday, get the call to say the hiring mgr can not speak any day but Thursday. After me telling her at least twice Thursday was not going to work for me.

?????

Old 07-12-2016, 05:50 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
There's no reason in the world to write such an unprofessional e-mail.

Not only to express your displeasure, based on your own hunch, but to subtly threaten to undermine her by bad word of mouth (as if that's ever going to do anything or make the recruiter quake in her boots).

I get it, sometimes it can be annoying when others can't meet our schedules. But no excuse not to take the high road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search