Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's bad taste to apply to companies even if there are no openings posted on their website?

i'm in the accounting field. i want to go back to public accounting at a small CPA firm. i was thinking of just putting together a list of all the small CPA firms in my area and sending them my resume/cover letter. but i didn't know if this would be frowned upon? i'm assuming 99%, if not all, of them will go un-answered but i figured it didn't hurt? maybe 1 will stick?

what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Yes, 99%, if not all will go un-answered, but it may be worth it for you to have that 1% chance. If you have a good resume, and they happen to have a fresh opening, they may consider the benefit of interviewing you in the hope of saving time and money by not having to post the opening, review many applications and interview several people.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, 99%, if not all will go un-answered, but it may be worth it for you to have that 1% chance. If you have a good resume, and they happen to have a fresh opening, they may consider the benefit of interviewing you in the hope of saving time and money by not having to post the opening, review many applications and interview several people.
let's say i apply to a bunch and no one responds so i stay put, but then a year later a position gets posted from one of the same places i applied to - it's not a big deal if i were to then submit my resume AGAIN, right?

that's really the only thing i would worry about. that i apply to nothing and then a position opens up down the road and they see my resume twice. i dont know if that's a big deal or not.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:14 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
You can certainly send in a resume. At my place of work, we would simply discard it without review, but other places work differently.

It certainly wouldn't work against you, particularly if you are a qualified candidate for whatever job ultimately does open up.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You can certainly send in a resume. At my place of work, we would simply discard it without review, but other places work differently.

It certainly wouldn't work against you, particularly if you are a qualified candidate for whatever job ultimately does open up.
Same here, no one would even remember it when an actual opening came up and you apply, since that is done online, and the online system does not allow anyone to apply except for a specific announced opening posted there.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:45 PM

68 posts, read 123,465 times
Do not send it to the business/firm, instead find a person in the firm and address it to him/her. Then drop it in the mail. If you send it to a general firm unaddressed it will end up in the hands of the mail clerk. You will have a much better shot if you send it to a person in each agency than if you send it to just the company.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abvincent1 View Post
Do not send it to the business/firm, instead find a person in the firm and address it to him/her. Then drop it in the mail. If you send it to a general firm unaddressed it will end up in the hands of the mail clerk. You will have a much better shot if you send it to a person in each agency than if you send it to just the company.
i've thought about this too... would e-mail be appropriate? with linkedin i have been able to find a lot of people at the companies/firms, but i wasn't sure if it's appropriate to send them an e-mail with my resume. or should i send the resume through regular mail addressed to them?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:54 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
How does that work anyways?

Most corporations have budgetary restrictions on numbers of personnel they can hire at each level.

Sure, one can apply or send in their resume at any time. But what's the chances of that doing anything when there's no openings?

Old 07-12-2016, 06:02 PM

68 posts, read 123,465 times
I would not send just an email, it is too easy to delete. Though you can probably send an email and a hard letter through the mail. If you do not hear back, do not contact them again. If I had to choose between the two I would send a letter but it probably wouldn't hurt to do both.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:44 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
Don't think most mid-big companies care for unsolicited resumes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search