U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:18 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,368,888 times

Advertisements

Well, I have a couple of important matters that depend on the pace and result this background check (i.e moving), so of course, I am worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 03:13 PM

I've checked a bunch of sample reports from various background check companies.

Do they actually ask past employers about your performance, attendance, attitude, communication skills and abilities to work with others? I'm sure the call is transferred to HR, but still.

I do find this to be a cause of concern because in it happens to be someone who really wants to ruin your chances at getting a job, they may provide bogus information purposely even if they don't remember who the heck you are (intern or trainee).

Oh Lord. Here I thought providing statements to back my information up would give me a 50% chance of passing this check.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:26 PM

4,736 posts, read 6,771,478 times
Keep looking. Don't stress over one job.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 PM

10,094 posts, read 13,270,141 times
There is NO Standard! Each company will conduct background checks as they see fit. Each company will determine how or if they need to contact you. Each company will pick what they will verify or who they may want to talk with and what they are interested in knowing. And, each company can change how they do things at anytime. Once again, what one company does may not be anywhere close to what another company does.

Employers may never tell you if something came up and simply use the old "better qualified candidate" line. You are way over stressing about nothing which could be detrimental. If you even telegraph a fraction of the anxiety you show here to the potential employer, you may have already torpedoed your chances.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There is NO Standard! Each company will conduct background checks as they see fit. Each company will determine how or if they need to contact you. Each company will pick what they will verify or who they may want to talk with and what they are interested in knowing. And, each company can change how they do things at anytime. Once again, what one company does may not be anywhere close to what another company does.

Employers may never tell you if something came up and simply use the old "better qualified candidate" line. You are way over stressing about nothing which could be detrimental. If you even telegraph a fraction of the anxiety you show here to the potential employer, you may have already torpedoed your chances.
The background check is done by a third party and the only reason for my anxiety is because I'm under pressure from another angle which has nothing to do with the background check. I'm not concerned about the background check per se, but the amount of pressure lead me to more or less lose it momentarily.

I still know how to deal with employers. Believe me, given what I went through with them these past few months, I'm pretty sure they're aware I'm a very very patient and diplomatic individual. I won't contact them, I'm definitely not that insane. I'll wait.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 07-15-2016 at 04:03 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 AM

16,240 posts, read 18,756,192 times
I have had many different background checks from many different employers because I do consulting and move from gig to gig.

Most take a few days. Often the company doesn't even bother to tell me that it has completed and things passed their standards. Once they never bothered to tell me so I asked about 4 days later and they said it came out ok.

I think lots of people ask for status of their background check because they don't want to give their 2 week notice at old employer until all checks are completed or they might have other job offers waiting in the wing and don't want to stop the process on those until everything is firm with background check. Even if you have clean background, some people worry about a mistake in background records(wrong person's info of someone with same same) or if things got stalled somewhere in the entire process. It's perfectly normal to wonder where things are and if it's done. It doesn't mean you are hiding a bad thing just because you ask for status to see if it's all done. (You might google for best ways to ask the company if your background check is completed, I bet their are some web sites that give suggestions.)

There were times for me when I was contacted to provide paystubs or W2s or Tax Returns to show proof that I worked at a specific company that was on my resume because the Background Checking Firm didn't get a response fast enough for them. I think their rule was if 24 hrs pass and no response that they ask for proof such as paystubs.

A couple of them I was able to get a copy of the results directly from the background checking firm, without having to go to the company(hired by) to ask. In these cases I filled out online details directly into the Background Checking Firm's web site. There was a page on the same site that allowed me to request a copy of the results. It was free and a link was sent to my email.

Did you fill out the info online or via a paper form? Even if a form, it usually has the name of the background checking firm. You might be able to go to the web site of the firm mentioned on the form if you still have a copy, if you filled out a paper form. Certain states in the US require the background checking firms to offer residents of those states a copy of the results. Usually it's a checkbox on the form or web site. However, because of this requirement, there is often a method for the applicant to request a free copy of their own results.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 AM

I actually filled the information on the third party's online platform. I have a copy of what I submitted and it matches every statement, degree name/grades, work reference (dates, job title and duties) I have to a T.

I was told that I would only get contacted if they required further information or if anything that needs clarification/discrepancy pops up so I could explain.

The thing is I was made aware of the fact that one portion of my background screening came back clear (it probably takes 10 minutes to verify that), but I haven't heard anything since.

I was told I'd be notified once the background screening is complete.

In my case, it's not so much about the job notice. It's about moving. My landlord gave me another two weeks before I have to move out. The job is hours away from my current city, so I have to relocate. I managed to secure an apartment in the city I will be working in (hopefully) and made the lease start coincide with the end of my current lease. Hence, I don't want to forfeit my deposit which would definitely take a major toll on my finances.

I was made aware that in case I pass the background check, I'd have to start right away. It was so difficult finding any landlord who'd reply to my emails since I'm not physically in that city. I had a response rate of 1/10, so when I managed to get a landlord to accept a viewing of the apartment which is very close to where I'm supposed to work, I jumped on the opportunity to secure it. I couldn't possibly wait until the end of the background check because my current lease would already be up and I would have wound up with no place to live.

Now, I'm nervous because the deposit has been wired, I have to move out in two weeks and the background check isn't even done yet.

I have a life to organize, so it ain't like I'm sitting and waiting around.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 07-15-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 01:14 PM

16,240 posts, read 18,756,192 times
Go to the website of the firm that is doing the background check. Go to the sitemap. If you don't see it, then go through all the links on their site. You will eventually find a link that allows you to ask for a copy of your background check. This will come directly from the background checking firm. You might first need to login with the original ID# they gave you when you filled out your info. This way when you request the info that can cross reference it to you.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Go to the website of the firm that is doing the background check. Go to the sitemap. If you don't see it, then go through all the links on their site. You will eventually find a link that allows you to ask for a copy of your background check. This will come directly from the background checking firm. You might first need to login with the original ID# they gave you when you filled out your info. This way when you request the info that can cross reference it to you.
No, they don't have such portal. The portal I accessed when entering my information is no longer available. It'd be too easy otherwise. There's stringent data protection involved. Can you imagine if anyone could access their own background check or even other people's?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:38 PM

10,094 posts, read 13,270,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Can you imagine if anyone could access their own background check or even other people's?
I can run a background check on anyone I want for any reason. Only when a person is doing some official check that is covered by law do they need to follow certain steps or limit what and when they look at information. Otherwise, your entire life is an open book being bought and sold everyday.

Employers now routinely use the services of data/information brokers to obtain all sorts of personal information on applicants. Why I can even learn your buying habits from certain on-line vendors, web search you conducted, and even screen names tied to some email you once used.

Now, you also need to be ready for is the admin to start delay. Sure they need you to start right away, but once the check is completed, there's nothing saying their immediate is right away. It could be weeks or months later to actually get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search