Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 02:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times

Advertisements

So I'm at a point in my life where I'd really like a change in scenery and escape the corporate hellhole I got sucked into, and like so many my age who love the outdoors but grew up in ugly places, I want to move to the Colorado Front Range. In quite a few of the job postings I'm qualified for (entry-level civil engineering with better experience than average), they make a point to say that local candidates are preferred, some even going so far as to say non-locals won't even be considered. I realize that most employers, especially those in cities known for quality of life, can afford to be choosy, but I'm young, skilled, have few ties, and would move for free since my entire life can basically fit inside my car, so it seems strange that it would be an uphill battle to even get noticed.

One of my best friends just moved to Boulder, and the thought occurred to both of us that I could put his address on my resume when I apply to jobs in the area, removing a big hurdle in getting interviews. The biggest problem I can think of is that I might be asked to interview on short notice, but I have enough PTO and airline miles that I don't think it'd be too big an issue.

My question is: Are there any problems I might not be thinking of? Are interviewers keen to such a setup? Is such a fib bound to snowball out of control?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 PM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
Do it.

One other thing you may want to do is to get a (free) Google Voice # with the local CO area code, and put that on your resume. Then you set the GV # to ring through to your cell phone #, or any other phone you want. I am surprised few people use GV, it is quite powerful and flexible.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search