Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:38 AM

427 posts, read 499,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Do you have a criminal record now?

Also, if you listen to no other advice in this thread, listen to this:

Do NOT enroll in any for-profit college like 'University of Phoenix' no matter what admissions officer says about it.
I was being sarcastic. I don't use drugs beyond the occasional j. Also, I'm not going to Phoenix, I'm well aware of for profit universities. I know if a "college" advertises like a business then it is a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 03:42 AM

902 posts, read 747,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I was being sarcastic. I don't use drugs beyond the occasional j. Also, I'm not going to Phoenix, I'm well aware of for profit universities. I know if a "college" advertises like a business then it is a business.
That explains a lot

Old 07-21-2016, 09:20 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Don't try the massage therapy occupation. First the schools who teach it aren't cheap, they turn out more graduates than the market can absorb and you need to develop a clientele. Not a smart move.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
You need psychiatric counseling before you will be able to get by in life, let alone work a job successfully. It seems you have a lot of issues to work through.

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 07-21-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 12:50 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Good.

As long as you avoid debt and a criminal record, you are nowhere near screwed.

Do you have a car? You can drive for Uber or Lyft.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,975 times
I honestly don't think the OP wants to listen to anyone's advice- just venting/ranting.

Case in point: the op has said they have a college degree from a prestigious school. I don't know anyone who graduated from a prestigious school and didn't have plenty of help finding a good job. Sounds like the OP would rather be a vagabond and complain..

And I didn't go to a prestigious college - but I worked hard and am doing quite well for myself/family- as I'm sure many on here are. It's the effort you put into your own life, not waiting for a hand.. But good luck waiting for Hilary..

Old 07-21-2016, 04:55 PM

17 posts, read 22,939 times
I'm sort of in the same boat as you OP. I recently graduated and right now I'm still searching for work. A couple of weeks ago I was down in the dumps, but now I'm starting to get some interviews. I may not be hired for any of these positions, but at least people are interested. They are entry-level jobs that pay minimum wage or slightly higher, but I'd rather be miserable at a sales job than sitting alone at home not making any money.

Probably not qualified to offer advice, but I would suggest trying to get that job at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Try to write a really good cover letter and build a good resume. If you don't want to include those oddjobs (which might be for the best) try to emphasize whatever skills and experience you have.

You are not useless. Even if you are bad at retail or food service those jobs are better than nothing. Don't think of them as dead-ends, but as something to buoy you up as you try to figure out what you want in life. I'm not sure what I want to do so, for now, I'm happy for any kind of employment, just as long as it's not my old restaurant job (which I may have to go back to...if they let me.) Hell, I might find out that retail is the thing for me. I doubt it because, like you, I'm pretty introverted, but you never know...

You can do it. And don't let this depression become an excuse not to do anything. You are still young so you are not without hope. Try to do some volunteer work as well. Right now I'm doing an online internship. It may not lead to anything, but it keeps me somewhat busy while adding something to my resume. Take things one step at a time.

Also try consulting a career counselor if you haven't already. The one at your university is probably still available to you. Talk to your old professors. See what they have been up to. Try to establish better connections through them.

And whatever you do, don't give up. I'm guessing one of the reasons you haven't been able to hold a job is because you give up on yourself. Don't. Try your hardest. Apply to as many things as possible. Hopefully, something will stick and when it does don't let go.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Don't try the massage therapy occupation. First the schools who teach it aren't cheap, they turn out more graduates than the market can absorb and you need to develop a clientele. Not a smart move.
You don't need clientele if you just want to work at a massage therapy clinic, which is how most start out before branching out on their own (and gaining clientele).

Old 07-23-2016, 01:23 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,557 times
Quote:
My resume has a two year gap on it after finishing college. I have mainly worked short term and short lived odd jobs since then, not holding a job longer than three months.

I just don't think I'm fit for any of the low skill jobs I can qualify for. I'm too slow for restaurant work, too introverted (and passive aggressive) for service, and I'm not strong or good at manual labor. I actually scored .5/10 on a physical strength test, when I went to an employment aptitude test in Chicago. The coarse personalities you have to deal with it in these jobs are also often too much for me to take. I've always tried my best in these capacities but it always ends up in failure, or I just quit because I can't stand it any longer.

I keep saying "I can't," over and over again, and maybe that's what's screwing me. But I've experienced all these fields in some way. I've been willing to try almost anything in the past two years. However, I have continued to avoid telemarketing jobs, insurance sales, door to door sales, all the pyramid schemes, and a lot of the labor gigs and blue collar work.

I find myself pathetic. I have above average intelligence and outstanding creative abilities. I'm a really good musician and made around $100 busking for an hour or two at various locations and times around town. However, I am very paycheck centric. Because all my friends have normal jobs, I feel like a loser for not making anything of myself as far as employment is concerned. One of my roommates, who was cast in a (very) minor roll in a big budget blockbuster starring Tom Cruise, and gets paid stand up comedy gigs, is able to hold down a job waiting tables at a 5 star Hotel in Beverly Hills. This makes me feel even more ineffectual.

I look at my dad, who dropped out of high school, manage to successfully pursue a career as a radio DJ in Northern and Southern California in the 1970s and early 1980s, before pursuing a career in corporate America in the Midwest and making a nice salary, which for the first 22 of my years, allowed me to do whatever I wanted to. He even opened his own (ultimately failed) deli in Santa Maria before he was my age!

All this said, I'm I just not meant to work? Am I meant to live with my family forever in rural Illinois while everyone else is able to find happiness and success?
Sounds to me you should bring your music skills to the fore and find an area where you can use them. Does not have to be busking necessarily but maybe teaching or tutoring music. I like you am above average intelligence, creative , sensitive and found myself like a fish out of water when trying blue collar stuff. I would often be aghast and numbed by the oafish nature in manner and words of many fellow workers at these jobs. They looked at me as arrogant and conceited even when making my own efforts to fit in . It was a complete waste of time.

With the knocks received from what I thought of as the easy blue collar jobs in mind, I eventually decided to pursue what was more spiritually satisfying to me. Best decision I ever made and regularly think, if only if only, I had thought like that before.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Sounds to me you should bring your music skills to the fore and find an area where you can use them. Does not have to be busking necessarily but maybe teaching or tutoring music. I like you am above average intelligence, creative , sensitive and found myself like a fish out of water when trying blue collar stuff. I would often be aghast and numbed by the oafish nature in manner and words of many fellow workers at these jobs. They looked at me as arrogant and conceited even when making my own efforts to fit in . It was a complete waste of time.

With the knocks received from what I thought of as the easy blue collar jobs in mind, I eventually decided to pursue what was more spiritually satisfying to me. Best decision I ever made and regularly think, if only if only, I had thought like that before.
Thanks for your suggestion.

That's sort of what I want... but I also am very good at drawing. People tell me I should do THAT.
I visualize myself in the future having my own condo doing ceramics, making paintings, playing music. I really wish I had the liberty to do everything I like.

However, right now I really need a job... obviously. I would like to work for an organization that creates products I enjoy and has a good work atmosphere. I am also interested in massage therapy because I would enjoy helping people feel better physically and with their bodies.

I am very fixated on money right now because I really want to be an independent adult with her own apartment and so on. I really feel very jealous of people who have made it, whether it be finance, medicine, or music. I really would like to see myself doing well, either NOW or in the near future. I'm just ready to do whatever it takes to make money so I don't have to live with roommates and can just do whatever the hell I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search