U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 06:33 PM

115 posts, read 74,023 times

Advertisements

When is the best time to look for and apply for jobs? I was told to wait after January as most companies will have a bigger budget to spend because of the new calendar year and closed Q4 earnings.

Recruiters & Hiring Managers, do you find this to be true or a myth? When is the best "time" to search for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:23 PM

10,157 posts, read 17,941,648 times
It depends when fiscal years start. We have money for X number of various pay classifications. When one is vacant, we post to fill it regardless of time of year. If we are pushing our budget, we may delay a process in the Summer to help get our budget back on track.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 PM

10,014 posts, read 9,197,530 times
Don't try and time your job search to some calendar benchmark like that. Plus, your info is inaccurate. Fiscal year and calendar year are not necessarily synonymous. My current company closes the books 6/30, the one before that 5/31. The federal government is October.

Many other factors influence hiring, most importantly need. K12 and higher-Ed tend to have hiring bumps in spring/summer in preparation for September. Retail has a hiring bump in Sept/Oct in preparation for the holiday season. Construction will hire when large contracts are awarded. Companies that are doing well financially will add staff during the year as they restate their expectations and increase budgets, companies doing poorly will lay off. Restaurants will hire when the cook quits, farms will hire in advance of harvest.

There really are so many variables that you cannot know or control. The best time to OK for a job is when you need one, and the best way to apply for jobs is directly on a company's website.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,734 posts, read 57,797,879 times
While new positions are budgeted and cannot be announced until after the first of the year, most openings are replacing retirees, promotions, and people leaving for greener pastures. Those do not have any kind of seasonal peak. We do not accept any applications except for specific openings, and that varies from 5-20 at any given time, currently 12. The only surge is in spring when we announce as many as 20-30 summer internships (paid).

Old 08-02-2016, 07:53 AM

4,812 posts, read 8,408,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
When is the best time to look for and apply for jobs? I was told to wait after January as most companies will have a bigger budget to spend because of the new calendar year and closed Q4 earnings.

Recruiters & Hiring Managers, do you find this to be true or a myth? When is the best "time" to search for a job.
Yes - FTE's are usually budgeted. However, companies fiscal year may differ. I've had ones that aligned with the calendar, and I've worked at ones where the fiscal year started in April, July, and October. So basically every quarter of the year.

Not to mention that just becuase a FTE was budgeted, it doesn't mean they start hiring immediately in the new year. My current company's fiscal year follows the calendar. But my FTE's for this year were scheduled for April and October. We also had a slot open in April because of a promotion. So I actually had two spots to hire for in Q2.

Long story short - there is no 'best' time. Or the best time is when you see an ad that meets your qualifications.

That said - I do typically see a slow down during summers and major holidays as folks tend to be on vacation. However, that really only applies for professional environments. Retailers ramp up hiring to handle their Nov/Dec rush, and entertainment/amusement industry tend to be hiring right before the summer.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 777,993 times
Best Times

September(Tuesday after Labor day) up until the first week of November

January to April

Worst Times

June, July, August, Late November, and December
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search