Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 5,522 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there have been threads like this in the past but I don't have anyone to turn to and could really use some input on my situation!

I just graduated college with an accounting degree (and a minor in finance). I have a good enough GPA, leadership/extracurricular experience in college, and internship experience. I didn't have a job set up upon graduation, so I've been using Indeed with my resume uploaded to search for entry-level accounting positions. I live in New Jersey but am seeking to relocate as I'd like a fresh start. I've applied for lots of positions in different cities/areas, but haven't received much in the way of a response so far.

How should I go about this? I really don't enjoy sitting around never receiving a response. I'm sure my credentials are good enough. Whatever you can recommend would be appreciated - other job search websites to use, people I could possibly reach out to, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 09:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
There are many job search engines. I just linked a few after I did a search for Accounting Job Search engines.

Be very proactive, don't wait for someone to stumble upon your resume.
Start looking at company websites and apply on their sites.

Also, if you really want to travel, have you explored your degree area for possible traveling jobs?

And, don't be afraid to take temp jobs while you are looking. Great on the job trial and network opportunities.

Touch base with classmates, network. You never know what others know until you ask.

Pound the pavement, be proactive....and look at organizations, lots of major organizations have accounting departments. Colleges, Hospitals, Maybe even opportunities to do short term placements.

Have you contacted your campus...re: help on job placement?

And, check IRS, and other Gov't websites for job ops. If you have a State CPA lic., (like Attorneys have the State Bar)look on your organizations website for job leads.

Good luck to you!

https://www.ihireaccounting.com/
Accounting Job Search Engines - Jobs Service
Accounting Jobs & Finance Jobs, CPA/Payroll Job, Accountant Jobs | AccountingCrossing.com
Finance And Accounting Jobs - Finance Job Search

Last edited by JanND; 07-26-2016 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-27-2016, 05:04 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
A lot of employers from areas you want to relocate to are not going to respond to you since it is a lot easier to hire local candidates.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:50 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
i know you may not like this answer, but your best bet may be to go to a less desirable area - not sure where you are looking to relocate to? The midwest in general has a lot of opportunities in the bigger cities (STL for example) and you could have an easier chance getting your foot in the door at a decent place. I would only do this for a big company though (fortune 500). The other thing to consider is just applying for jobs in financial services (banks, insurance, mortgage, etc) to get your foot in the door and get to accounting eventually if you still want to. A lot of the major financial services companies pay quite well out of college (i've seen 60k to 85k) for analyst type jobs. good luck

Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
From your description your credentials are fine, but not special. Thousands of people graduate every year with an accounting degree, with good grades, blaw, blaw, blaw. What sets you apart from the other thousand? Research your field, find out what makes people sit up and take notice.

In your search be proactive, do the online thing, but also go in person to businesses, meet people, shake hands. Trade organizations are a great place to start.

Every graduate who did not have a job when they took off the cap and gown, is sitting in-front of their computer waiting for the next job to pop-up on Indeed, etc.. Set yourself apart, by being the guy who looked them in the eye while handing them your resume. Be prepared the vast majority of places, the secretary will take your resume, and say she will give to HR, and you will never hear back, but a couple of places you will get to talk to someone, and that is the place most likely to offer you a job.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:25 PM

242 posts, read 300,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyism View Post
I'm sure there have been threads like this in the past but I don't have anyone to turn to and could really use some input on my situation!

I just graduated college with an accounting degree (and a minor in finance). I have a good enough GPA, leadership/extracurricular experience in college, and internship experience. I didn't have a job set up upon graduation, so I've been using Indeed with my resume uploaded to search for entry-level accounting positions. I live in New Jersey but am seeking to relocate as I'd like a fresh start. I've applied for lots of positions in different cities/areas, but haven't received much in the way of a response so far.

How should I go about this? I really don't enjoy sitting around never receiving a response. I'm sure my credentials are good enough. Whatever you can recommend would be appreciated - other job search websites to use, people I could possibly reach out to, etc.
Job ads should only be a small part of your job search. You should also be networking, sending speculative applications and so on. One technique I have found useful is to identify companies I'm interested in and identify someone within that company who has a job title I would want. I then cold call them and ask to meet or speak on the phone with them for 15-20 minutes about the given industry, company and job. It's called informational interviewing and it's a very useful tool for building a professional network when you're fresh out of school. In many cases it did lead to referrals.

Also are you following up with job applications? That is very important. If you're applying from job ads you're facing stiff competition so this is one way to help you stand out.

If you don't live far from your college see if you're allowed to access the school's career service after graduation. At my university you are allowed to use it up to a year after you graduate. I found going there very helpful.

Last edited by 514gal; 07-27-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 01:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
From your description your credentials are fine, but not special. Thousands of people graduate every year with an accounting degree, with good grades, blaw, blaw, blaw. What sets you apart from the other thousand? Research your field, find out what makes people sit up and take notice.

In your search be proactive, do the online thing, but also go in person to businesses, meet people, shake hands. Trade organizations are a great place to start.

Every graduate who did not have a job when they took off the cap and gown, is sitting in-front of their computer waiting for the next job to pop-up on Indeed, etc.. Set yourself apart, by being the guy who looked them in the eye while handing them your resume. Be prepared the vast majority of places, the secretary will take your resume, and say she will give to HR, and you will never hear back, but a couple of places you will get to talk to someone, and that is the place most likely to offer you a job.
Don't forget, when you show up and are introducing yourself to the secretary, be extra polite.

Believe me, being polite can make a difference....many people do not realize the power secretary's and/or receptionist have, impressing them is often the first step. Being a jerk, or treating them like underlings can often be your last. They are the Gate Keepers of any business/organization.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:12 PM

427 posts, read 500,175 times
Get a job at McDonald's. Work there for a couple years. Work your way up from the bottom.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:47 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyism View Post

If you haven't landed a job then you aren't good enough, YET. Maybe in the past you would of landed a job no problem, but everything has changed, even in accounting.

What are your weaknesses? Start improving and getting better.

What do you want to do in accounting?

Accounting is not the great field full of jobs everyone thinks it is. It is brutal and set up to only reward the very few at the top.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:36 PM

674 posts, read 608,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
One technique I have found useful is to identify companies I'm interested in and identify someone within that company who has a job title I would want. I then cold call them and ask to meet or speak on the phone with them for 15-20 minutes about the given industry, company and job.
You are lucky that strangers would set aside that much time to talk to you. If I got such a cold call, I would decline to take it. If you are referred to me by someone I know, then it's a different story and I would most likely take your call.

OP - mine your school's network; search the school alumni database for individuals who are in the field you're interested in, and drop them an email to see if they'd talk to you. I have always accepted calls or responded to emails from students from my alma maters (I have several).

If your contacts accept your calls, be mindful of their time and calendar. Don't call on a Monday morning and speak for 30 mins as people usually need that time to clear off the stuff that came over during the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search