Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Whom ever is more needy pays for the travel. If they really need you, they will pay. If you really need them, you will pay. Each company has their own policy and that policy can differ for various positions. As a general rule, if they reached out to you as in headhunted you, they should be paying. If you applied for a position that you knew was out of your area, you should have expected to pay for travel.

Don't believe this^^^^^^^

Most major corporations pay expenses for interviews for out-of-town applicants. Just because you applied to them, you are under no obligation to foot the bill. There is no such "general rule" , at least not for professional level jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:24 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
The hiring company always pays. It's been my experience 100% of the time.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Most companies will do a set of phone and video interviews to "screen out" candidates, and then offer to fly the few left on the "short list" for the final set of interviews.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:28 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Sometimes you have to ask, but they usually will.

Quote:
Most companies will do a set of phone and video interviews to "screen out" candidates, and then offer to fly the few left on the "short list" for the final set of interviews.
Yes.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Don't believe this^^^^^^^

Most major corporations pay expenses for interviews for out-of-town applicants. Just because you applied to them, you are under no obligation to foot the bill. There is no such "general rule" , at least not for professional level jobs.
And they are under no obligation to pay for your travel if you're coming to them asking for a job!

As a business owner, if I offer travel expense for an interview, that's my decision. I can also decide I'm not going to pay any travel expenses. I'm under no obligation to do it any way but how I choose to do it. How many post have we had where people had where non reimbursed travel expense was a whinny complaint? Obviously there is no standard and it's a company by company decision as they see fit. At some point the message has to be told that there is no absolutes when it comes to who pays. All we have is general rules that generally apply. Heck even you used the term "Most" which means it's a company by company decision.

There are way too many posters that are to eager to make have others throw away opportunities because the actions of a company doesn't make them all warm and fuzzy inside. My message was that you should have been prepared to pay for the travel if you are applying to them and you want that job! Those who say forget the company are just windbags with no skin in the game so they can be all bravado when it comes to other peoples lives.

(and people wonder why we need H1B workers)

Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I say if they don't pay, look elsewhere. If the company isn't willing to pay to fly you out for the interview, what does it say about their compensation (not to mention relocation) package if they hire you?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:

Ditto.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You're underestimating big time if you think you can make such a trip for $650! More like $1200--$1500.
Maybe if he's interviewing in Manhattan. But most places you can do it for cheaper. Flight is roughly $300, sometimes less, sometimes more, but mostly under $400 flying in the Continental US. The flight could very conceivably be under $200. My most recent flight was, and on a major carrier from a medium sized spoke to a hub. Rental Car probably runs $120 for a compact, maybe less. $150 for the hotel if you shop around and don't mind staying at a Choice Hotels property. Breakfast is free. 2 Dinners for under $50, 2 lunches for $30 brings his total to $650 if you assume $300 airfare.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
And they are under no obligation to pay for your travel if you're coming to them asking for a job!
You are not. However, when an employer isn't willing to pay for travel for somebody they want to interview, it's a pretty good sign they will just go hire a local candidate anyway.

Either you have something they want and can't find locally (in which case, they'll pay for the interview) or they expect to be able to find somebody locally with the skills they need (in which case, the local people they interview will have an advantage over you).

Old 07-27-2016, 01:37 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Thanks for your insights and replies. I have enough miles to get there Hotel would be around $250.00 car $100.00 food and expenses $100.00 so no biggie. They are looking for a particular skill set and so far they feel I have those. Should be hearing back early next week.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search