Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 01:21 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,254 times

Advertisements

I think I have a real shot at this, as this one is close to home, has the best hours like I'd been hoping, is small enough that I'm likely to not just be one of thousands applying, and also, unlike most others, they seem to get my situation.
I
However, given all the others rejecting me, this may well be my last chance, and, if not my LAST chance, certainly my LAST BEST chance, to get hired in my field.

Due to something coming up, they had to move back the second round of interviews for like 4 months. I can wait that long and hopefully some of the competition cannot.

How do I get them to hire ME and not those other guys? (I'd even be willing to bribe them, THAT is how desperate I am!, to hire me.)

I thought of intentionally lowballing myself on pay just to get in as that usually works in scaring off the other guys. (Unlike them, I could live at home till I got a pay raise, so I can wait it out.)

They seem to be pretty favorable of me and I had kept checking in with them till they said they would contact me when the 2nd round of interviews began. (They had been a bit vague, mentioning a certain time frame, and I checked in every once in a while.)

How do you beat out someone who may be more qualified than you (though, I'm hoping, since I'm in a more rural area, anyone who could beat me out would have gone to a more urban area, chasing higher pay, and that those more local might only have associates, hence my Bachelors should beat them out. )

Still, this is one of the things keeping me awake at night, as failing this might possibly be a life sentence of having to work jobs significantly BELOW my field's pay rate (unless I can move out of state, where the situation may not be much better.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 07:12 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
There is a bigger issue at play here. Hanging all your shingles on this one job, shows you are not competitive in your field. If as you say, all the people who could beat you out, left for a urban area, you are basically saying you are right around the bottom of the barrel.

You need to look at the bigger picture, of what can you do to make yourself competitive not just in your area but those urban areas too. You need to gather the skills, experience, and education that makes you hold your own in any interview against any other candidate, not hoping a bachelors outweighs an associates, or all the good candidates left.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
As a hiring manager, the applicant's enthusiasm for the job I have open makes a big difference. Both of my last two hires have been a bit less qualified than others I interviewed, but they demonstrated a real desire to work here. A good interviewer can tell when someone is looking for "a job" or is looking for a job with that company. Do the research and in the interviews take advantage of any opportunity to cite facts about the company. If asked why you want the job, give actual factual data about the company demonstrating their success, and that you want to contribute to continuing that success.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:52 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
I agree with enthusiasm, doing your research. I also look for a little humility - not being a doormat at all, but expressing willingness to learn from others, not being afraid to ask questions. Last thing I want is a know it all, anyone with arrogance, or someone who seems overly fixated on moving up and pay. Those are important of course, and I'd be suspicious if they didn't come up, but I don't want that to be the focus of the interview. Show the interviewer how you can help

Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
pointing the company out, but if they are pretty small, and had to push back the interview, they might not be doing so well fiancially

larger companies would at least hold the interview but delay the hiring if on a hiring freeze

i dot get your idea from last line, you said you would lowball yourself and then you are afraid of ending up working at lower paid jobs?

btw, you keep saying your field, you dont have a field if no one wants to hire you. get over it and find a job then move into a career you want.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:48 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
They seem to be pretty favorable of me and I had kept checking in with them till they said they would contact me when the 2nd round of interviews began. (They had been a bit vague, mentioning a certain time frame, and I checked in every once in a while.)
Ummm....Hate to say this, but did they give a reason they pushed back the 2nd round? It could be they FOUND the "Perfect" candidate and aren't going to "Look" anymore.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
In your shoes, I'd be suspicious -- or at least discouraged -- about a 4-month delay in the process. What reason did they give? I would also keep looking for other opportunities and not assume this one was my only hope. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2016, 01:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Four Months? Something is up. Normal healthy companies don't push back hiring for four months when they have already started the process. My bet is that the position is never filled.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
There is a bigger issue at play here. Hanging all your shingles on this one job, shows you are not competitive in your field. If as you say, all the people who could beat you out, left for a urban area, you are basically saying you are right around the bottom of the barrel.

You need to look at the bigger picture, of what can you do to make yourself competitive not just in your area but those urban areas too. You need to gather the skills, experience, and education that makes you hold your own in any interview against any other candidate, not hoping a bachelors outweighs an associates, or all the good candidates left.
I'll take rural right now. The urban areas are likely too competitive for me to EVER get into (without starting somewhere easier to get into this) at this rate as I don't have an internship and have a three year out-of-field gap since graduation. Heck yeah I'm going to hang everything on this.

(BTW, did apply for other things, but none made it. I cannot deny that this one thing is my best bet. Also, my mother knows the people who run the place, so I can easily find out if they are indeed just horsing around and already found someone else.)

I'm really hoping that the four month delay will actually weaken some of the competition, who may not be able to hold out.

Also, there is another issue that I'm aiming for. I've got some medicines that would require a certain amount to be independent from home and still be able to afford. (Note, Medicaid pays the medical bills, but right now, it doesn't cover living expenses.) The Big Box stores would essentially leave me where I am now but maybe without Medicaid and most of my pay just going to pay for the meds, etc and me still likely having to live at home.

It's not that I haven't tried (I've been applying for the past three years before this came up and even after it did, but nothing else seems to be working.)

Old 08-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
pointing the company out, but if they are pretty small, and had to push back the interview, they might not be doing so well fiancially

larger companies would at least hold the interview but delay the hiring if on a hiring freeze

i dot get your idea from last line, you said you would lowball yourself and then you are afraid of ending up working at lower paid jobs?

btw, you keep saying your field, you dont have a field if no one wants to hire you. get over it and find a job then move into a career you want.
Let's clarify, if I failed, I'd end up in retail or something like that for the rest of my life (or so it's seeming). That is always pretty low and my Aspergers will pretty much keep me out of management or anything decent. If I take a lower rate than the others in my field, I can always get the experience to help me later on and also maybe get a pay raise later. If I got out of field, I get ZERO in field experience and am basically trapped in the lower levels, which I'm going to avoid even if I have to go into self-employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search