U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 05:22 PM

186 posts, read 280,680 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I am 26 year old transportation professional and next week I am moving from Atlanta to Houston without a job. I will have enough money saved up to live for 3 months without employment but hope to get employed within the first 3 weeks. I am nervous but this is a decision that I have made up my mind on and can't turn back on.

I am leaving my current job where I make 53K entry level in the trucking industry and looking for something similar in the Houston area or in Logistics. I have 3 college degrees and that is where my dilemma is coming in. I hold an Associates in Paralegal and Legal Studies, a Bachelors in Aviation Administration, and a Masters in Transportation and Logistics Management. I feel like the degrees and education are so dissimilar that I will weed my self out as a potential candidate.

My Questions are:

Should I leave either the Associates or Masters Degree off in some applications and resumes that I send out?

For my salary should I lower my desired salary from a min of 47K to 40K or even 35K so I can be employed faster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 10:04 PM

68 posts, read 77,523 times
So you are already wondering how you can mold yourself in a manner that you think employers would find more attractive than the person you really are? My advice is to stop thinking about what you think an employee would want and start thinking about what you have to offer. In the time you dedicated to those degrees you learned something that you can apply to the field you wish to work.

Take a step back and think about what you are asking...you are saying: Should I lower my salary expectations and eliminate my education history because I think (for some reason) employers will devalue me for any of the above.

If you need a job to get through after you relocated, then take a low level job to get you through. But don't try to reinvent who you are because you are making a big change in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or