Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Fortunately, most companies don't even email a candidate letting them know they've been rejected, let alone call them.
Yep.

When I was looking for work in 1992/1993, I received nice formal rejection letters from at least 100 companies before I found a good job again. But those were in response to mailed cover letters and resumes.

When I was looking for work in 2002-2004, I rarely received any response at all from submitted resumes and covers, even ones sent via paper mail. I sent out well over a thousand during that period of time.

Same types of positions (Software Developer/Support), but I was obviously more senior in the latter case. It seems the mindset of businesses has changed, but perhaps also application volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 12:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I just really wish companies would provide feedback so I could actually work on weak areas if they exist!
What? This isn't therapy session. Employers are not there to help you with your weak areas. Good grief!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:20 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
I just assume that there's stuff I still need to work on and just move on. They're afraid of lawsuits.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:21 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
See title... Is it possible? I always seem to have a lot of luck making it final round interviews but I have terrible difficulty actually securing offers. I always try to seek out feedback because I want to know where I could improve, (especially when I feel I aced the interview), but most companies are very adamant about only providing a standard rejection or providing some "safe" and generic reason because these companies are afraid of a having a lawsuit on hand.

The one I get the most now is just simply the "You are an excellent candidate but we found someone better suited for the role". Umm, if I'm so excellent where should I be improving??! I just really wish companies would provide feedback so I could actually work on weak areas if they exist!

Any tips for digging the real answer why you weren't hired out of the company?
Sounds like you are hoping that HR departments (or hiring managers) tutor you on career development and/or interviewing... this is not their role.

And "rejected" is really the wrong word. If 100 plumbers apply for a job, are 99 of them rejected? They have emotional intelligence issues if they think like that.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
If more employers were honest, I could persuade them why whatever their concern was that it wouldn't be a problem but if I don't know how can I prove to them that I would be a good candidate?
This is why employers don't bother with details. When I have 10 applicants (this is rare, some positions receive hundreds of applicants) and only 1 opening, why would I want to spend 20-30 minutes extra with the other 9 rejected applicants, listening to their argument about why they should be hired instead? Not to mention a potential lawsuit if you don't like what I have to say. Imagine doing that for each position.

Just a couple of days ago, a candidate came in for an interview and our receptionist was out sick that day so everyone took turn at the reception desk to help out. When he arrived, I checked him in and he was very rude and dismissive, probably thinking that I was the receptionist. He was very surprised when he found out that not only was I part of the interview panel, I would also be his direct supervisor if hired. I didn't say anything so as not to influence the other interviewers. As it happened, they all got a bad vibe from this guy - he really had a serious attitude issue that would have never worked in our environment. Needlesss to say, we didn't offer him the position and I let my HR handle the disposition although I made sure she's aware of the situation. If we told this guy his bad attitude cost him this job, I'm sure the guy would come back with all kinds of excuses, or even a threat (he got attitude issue, remember?). Tell me, why would I want to open myself up to that kind of conversation? And furthermore, why would my company allow me to open the whole firm to a potential lawsuit from him? All he had to claim was discrimination and the lawyers would have had a field day.

Last edited by graceC; 08-04-2016 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 12:33 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
It's just a 'dog eat dog' world out there anymore, does'nt matter where you choose to work or live. The only remaining question (when looking for work and/or if you find that one job that you truly feel qualifeid for) is: "How bad do you want it ?"

Best to quit approaching the application/interview process with the modern-day dual-mindset of: "How bad do you WANT me to work for you/How much can I GET out of working for you" and yes I know none among us are actually moronic enough to voice those thoughts 'out loud' but let's be honest with ourselves here...we ALL know that those are the primary switches that most of us are (quietly, secretly, privately) waiting on pins and needles for the prospective-employer to hit on.

Myself, I never place much hope on any one particular position I apply to, rather I go by sheer gut-instinct; it's that ONE job that literally jumps out at me, or 'bugs' me after I second-guess myself (and my background/qualifications) and pass on by, and I later say "What the heck" and throw my resume at it. 9 times out of ten that's the one that comes through...strange as it may sound.

No, never invest SO much of yourself in the application process that you end up feeling THEY have an 'obligation' to respond in any way, shape or form. If they WANT you, they'll let you know, and the sad fact is...given the steadily rising population (worldwide) it literally IS an 'employers market' out there, irregardless of country, region, race, color, creed, gender, education, experience, etc, etc...

In the meantime, avoid the caffeine, look after & treat yourself right, learn to downsize and tighten the belt another notch or two, to stretch your remaining re$ource$...and try to RELAX.

As long as you crossed all your 'T's and dotted all your 'i's your ship WILL come in. Eventually.

The more you worry and surrender to 'angst'...the shorter your life expectancy. Gauranteed.

Don't give up.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:36 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Probably not. I had one potential employer string me along for 6 months after interviewing. After three weeks, I stopped worrying but they still kept me "informed" on the position. I knew they were full of crap. They're also one of those companies who won't tell a person what the pay rate actually is until they're hired.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:46 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
You're lucky to get an honest answer out of a hiring manager in the private sector even if you are employed at the company. Most private sector managers lie about as much as your career politician

Old 08-04-2016, 12:51 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
You're lucky to get an honest answer out of a hiring manager in the private sector even if you are employed at the company. Most private sector managers lie about as much as your career politician
Many of them lie straight out of the gate and start with the job posting.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:37 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is why employers don't bother with details. When I have 10 applicants (this is rare, some positions receive hundreds of applicants) and only 1 opening, why would I want to spend 20-30 minutes extra with the other 9 rejected applicants, listening to their argument about why they should be hired instead? Not to mention a potential lawsuit if you don't like what I have to say. Imagine doing that for each position.

Just a couple of days ago, a candidate came in for an interview and our receptionist was out sick that day so everyone took turn at the reception desk to help out. When he arrived, I checked him in and he was very rude and dismissive, probably thinking that I was the receptionist. He was very surprised when he found out that not only was I part of the interview panel, I would also be his direct supervisor if hired. I didn't say anything so as not to influence the other interviewers. As it happened, they all got a bad vibe from this guy - he really had a serious attitude issue that would have never worked in our environment. Needlesss to say, we didn't offer him the position and I let my HR handle the disposition although I made sure she's aware of the situation. If we told this guy his bad attitude cost him this job, I'm sure the guy would come back with all kinds of excuses, or even a threat (he got attitude issue, remember?). Tell me, why would I want to open myself up to that kind of conversation? And furthermore, why would my company allow me to open the whole firm to a potential lawsuit from him? All he had to claim was discrimination and the lawyers would have had a field day.

Okay but is it an argument or marketing? I thought an interview was about marketing yourself and how can you market yourself if you're not confident enough to know what the other person wants?
Am I just supposed to assume that I'm not sociable enough? That I don't have enough experience? Because maybe you're the one employer that did not care/notice my lack of experience but once I bring it up it then might become a concern. You know how they say "don't volunteer information"?
I'd rather not sue though. I'm not interested in causing drama. I just want to be hired and even if you don't like me and you could direct me to someone who would actually hire me that would be just fine with me. I just need help and I never get the help that I need. I think in some cases you can't even sue anyway because I had asked one interviewer their concern and they said it was that I stuttered, I talked to my coach and they said that wasn't grounds for suing because it was hard to prove.
I understand that there is often a lot of applicants but when I have literally every employer rejecting me and not even giving me direction as to why, what am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to just give up? Because I've really wanted to for a long time. It's not even worth it anymore. Clearly I'm wasting your time by even applying. Clearly it's a waste of time to interview me because you have no interest in me. The other problem is when I'm being rejected I'm not getting paid and if I'm not getting paid that effects the economy because I can't buy as much. That comes back to your business. OR you are paying for it in taxes because I am getting food stamps/section 8. The world truly is a circle. I know that sometimes it is a waste of time because some applicants may actually not be that great but employers hire BSers all the time anyway and what happens if I'm the one applicant who could be good for your business? And you would never know it because you rejected me without even telling me for sure why.

It just makes me mad because I'm not like other people. I don't want jobs just because I NEED money. In fact I've talked to loads of people and they often say I'm crazy for wanting a job. Why don't I go on disability they say? Also even if people are interested in financial independence, they usually are just working until they can start their own business but I could never dream of doing that. I'm not the type of person who could do that.

Well that guy may have actually been a rude person in general. I don't know. I wasn't there but in my case, when I ask for help some people will tell me I have a bad attitude. I don't even say anything bad though. They just say I give off that vibe but come on now you can't blame me esp when I scold myself enough for it..things that aren't even my fault but I blame myself anyway. When I've been taken advantage of a lot in my life and I just want to overcome it by being financially independent but no one will throw me a freakin bone, how do you expect me to act? Not to mention one of those times I wouldn't have been taken if I had just gotten hired years ago because it was supposedly a way to make more money. Do you expect me to be super cheery every time I go in an interview when I know odds are you don't want me and won't even give me a chance to explain myself? Actually most of the time I don't even get an interview anymore because I can't pass those STUPID tests. Employers need to put themselves in my shoes once in a while. I have not had average struggles. In fact it had gotten so bad that I had suicidal thoughts (and that's saying a lot bc I have thanatophobia) At least they're making decent money. I haven't had a formal job since high school. That is in no way normal. I think I'm pretty polite/friendly considering how much I've been mistreated in my life. I always strive to say nice to meet you after I do an interview even though it feels fake as monopoly money. What more do you want from me? I try to fake it/hide it but it only works for other people. The employers must see right through me. I've tried the laws of attraction too and that was months ago. It hasn't seemed to work.
I have even applied to the movie theatre and just as I thought they didn't want me.

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-04-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search