Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 03:37 AM

356 posts, read 302,432 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I still cannot answer the question, what do you want to do? Is that even a viable option anymore? I mean, should "fast paced" "high volume" "must be willing to work overtime, nights, and weekends" cause one to get..excited? It seems like so many people are in jobs where they are not really happy or fully using their talents. So many jobs boil down to clicking a mouse staring at a computer all day, and being tethered to a cubicle. I tried to look into teaching, as an alternative, but, they are low paying positions, and, since I do not have a teaching degree, my attempt was thwarted.

Have any of you used free online career testing to help you find a good fit job that actually pays well? Are you seeking a job that you will actually..somewhat "enjoy"?

The other day I saw a listing for a 911 operator. A job I thought is pretty important, helping people and potentially saving lives. And yet, it paid less than $15.00 per hour. Isn't saving lives worth more than $15.00 an hour? Or how about a bus driver? Transporting precious children. And yet, that too was low paying. I know, I am rambling.

Thanks..

Beans/Rice/Bubba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 AM

901 posts, read 747,296 times
It is called work for a reason, it isn't supposed to make you "excited"

Old 08-02-2016, 11:39 AM

521 posts, read 292,670 times
try a career couch. I wanted to consider one myself but the cost is high around 5K

Old 08-02-2016, 05:00 PM

356 posts, read 302,432 times
Thank you for your comments. As for not getting excited, perhaps you are right. But, I believe we can find jobs that match our values, talents, abilities, interests, and experience which translates into a job that provides a good sense of accomplishment and even enjoyment.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:48 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Thank you for your comments. As for not getting excited, perhaps you are right. But, I believe we can find jobs that match our values, talents, abilities, interests, and experience which translates into a job that provides a good sense of accomplishment and even enjoyment.
sure you can - but i think what most people don't get (especially recent grads) is that you don't get that perfect job as your first gig. I don't know if anyone has heard of "strength finders" but my company uses it (through Gallup) and after 15 years in the workforce i took one about two years ago. I came across the report recently and funny enough "risk management" and "compliance" were recommended as job fits based on my profile. Guess what i do? Risk management/compliance. It worked out for me- but i moved around quite a bit to get where i am.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
People can ask that question for a variety reason - from making sure you and the job will actually be a match, to just asking that because they hard it asked before or read about it. You have to gauge what the interviewer is looking for - or ask them to specify if necessary.

As for the minute crap one has to deal with - it comes with every job/career. You need to look at the bigger picture. Or the ENTIRE picture.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:24 PM

461 posts, read 509,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
You can have a job that does this but it may not pay well. You can't always have it all. What is your passion? Are you willing to do it for less pay? Are you willing to move where you can do it and live with less pay? I have a job that I love and is my passion and it doesn't pay well at all. I live frugally to do this and get a huge sense of satisfaction.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:49 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
You can't pick and choose in an employer's market that call all the shots. This isn't the 1990s or early 2000's anymore. You have to essentially apply to damn near EVERYTHING today with the hopes of seeing maybe a handful of interviews. Hopefully get your foot in the door and go from there. (Learn as you go in most places) Even if you are educated/with experience etc.

The Economy is a mess. So many job posting constantly getting reposted, never filled, people with MORE Than a enough experience and qualified or the job never hearing a darn thing back. Ive applied to countless jobs which I have experience in, more than qualified for, never even get a response.

How can you pick and choose in this MESS what you want to do? You find what you want to do and find the best fit for your when there are options to choose from. There are no options now. There is no picking and choosing or limiting yourself to certain job "openings"

The best advise is just go crazy submitting applications. These days you may submit 200 applications and hear back from hopefully 1-2 of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search