Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:50 PM

894 posts, read 586,929 times

Advertisements

I'm diligently job-hunting and have been for quite awhile. So I'm also trying to get "in-between" work to help pay bills and make ends meet until I get a better, more stable job.

I figure tutoring kids and adults would bring a few dollars for now. I also applied for waitress jobs too.

Any other ideas for in-between work? PS: I keep hearing people say I should try to earn money by making my own YouTube videos but I honestly don't know the first thing about doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 06:04 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Years ago schools maintained a list of tutors for parents who were in need of their services; some of whom were substitute teachers. I don't know if they still do that or not. I currently see a core group of tutors working with various people at the library; I have no idea how these tutors get referrals. What I am trying to say is that tutoring may not be easy to break into depending on how things work where you are at.

Look at working security or delivering pizzas.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:18 AM

242 posts, read 300,574 times
When I was out of work I was tutoring to make some money and to have something to put on my CV to avoid a gap. You can try applying to local tutoring services in your area or by putting an ad online. What field do you work in? Any chance you could do some sort of freelance consulting?

Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Tutoring is a good idea.

Also, babysitting, house sitting, and pet sitting/dog walking are options to bring in some cash while remaining flexible for interviews and such.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
What is your experience and what are your skills? A lot of retail and restaurant seasonal work is available now, I see signs all over the place. Tutoring requires finding customers, and around here people will require references. You may be limited to people that you know. The same applies to dog walking and house sitting.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:23 AM

894 posts, read 586,929 times
^^^^When I lived in a larger city, I did a lot of temp work so I have a lot of experience doing administrative assistant & other general office stuff. Although we have a few temp agencies in my new town, the few jobs they do have require that I drive which currently I don't.

I agree that it might be hard to get students to tutor. So I figured putting up flyers and handing out business cards may help somewhat.

Walking dogs would have been a good idea but I'm extremely terrified of all dogs (even puppies). Also, we live close to the country so people mainly just let their dogs roam free instead of walking them or having others walk them.

When I was single, I lived in a few different cities. However, I always made sure they were places that a non-driver could still get around easily for work, etc. And I also always made sure that it was reasonably easy to get work. But now, my husband insists we live in his hometown and it's extremely limited here. (We relocated last year.)

I even tried online earning sites for awhile but although I did get paid sometimes, it wasn't really worth it since surveys took forever to qualify for (if I even qualified at all).

Old 11-17-2016, 06:23 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I am not sure about self employment but I temped as a customer service rep for a year.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:09 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I did flower delivery as a contract driver both seasonally and part-time. Used my own vehicle, picked up my load around 1pm, done around 5pm. Made decent money and deducted my mileage for taxes as 1099l Loved it and would do it again except the biz I worked for closed last spring.
Florists need help Thanksgiving, Christmas, Val. Day, and Mother's Day. Most have regular part-time drivers year round.
I just drove around and introduced myself to get work.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:21 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
^^^^What state? I live down South. (I'm female. Able-bodied though and willing to try.)
Chances, that is an MLM/Network Marketing gig or some internet affiliate stuff. Self employed, you have to have customers and clients. To do this, you will have to live in a decent populated area. Most online gigs are fake or you won't make any money from it. If you have skills, you can go to www.upwork.com and offer your services but like I said, it depends on your skills.

The majority of self employment requires you to acquired clients and/or sell. Do you have the skillset to do it? Do you have the mindset to do it?

Old 11-19-2016, 03:16 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Try Best Buy parttime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search