U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 05:06 PM

427 posts, read 397,795 times

Advertisements

I finally got a full-time job offer after a grueling three week job hunt. After getting the official offer letter on Monday I was told to come in most likely on Friday (today) to fill out my paperwork. I talked to my future supervisor on Wednesday and said he would call me once the background check had gone through, noting that it was "taking longer than usual."

Because they set up operations and need people to start working next week, is it possible that I may lose the offer because the extended length of the background check? I have no criminal history or even a bad credit history. I suspect because I have moved around a lot in the past few years since college it may be hard for them to verify my addresses. For example, in my current home I am actually not on the lease so in a way it is not really "my" address.

Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,110,043 times
Three weeks isn't very long to be looking for a job. What made it so grueling? Not sure about rescinding the offer. Probably not unless the position needs someone now.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Three weeks isn't very long to be looking for a job. What made it so grueling? Not sure about rescinding the offer. Probably not unless the position needs someone now.
that's what I'm worried about. i need this job and i don't want delays in my background check to prevent me from getting it.

all job hunts are miserable. especially when you're broke (like me) and really need something immediately.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:59 PM

4,702 posts, read 2,533,140 times
This almost happened to me! I jumped through all the hoops, and then I get a call saying there is a delay and I was brought before the hr officer who VERY STERNLY informed me that they were looking at rescinding the offer. The thing is, I had an immaculate record, no back taxes, no bad performance Reviews, not even a traffic ticket for more than 30 years, nothing negative. It was humiliating to have my potential supervisor ask me if there was something in my background that I had not revealed. Come to find out that same hr officer had neglected to do part of the necessary paperwork! She never apologized. I was hired.

Another thing, THEY called ME more than once out of the blue asking me to come work for them! Well, finally my backgound check came back as clear. I worked for them for a year even though I had another taxing position, as a favor. After a year, my contract came up for renewal. I did not renew. I was tired and had worked my buns off and I felt no guilt leaving even though they still needed me. I never forgot that fiasco. The way they handled it was very wrong.

You should stay on top of THEM! Maybe they have missed a step and that is what is holding up the process.

I actually did some consulting work for them the following year. Guess what! They shorted me in my paycheck.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:17 AM

10,077 posts, read 5,185,823 times
what kind of background check? mine took nearly 6 months...

not just mine, but the type of check means everyone is backlogged. If they wanted to hire someone else, they would still be waiting as well.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
what kind of background check? mine took nearly 6 months...

not just mine, but the type of check means everyone is backlogged. If they wanted to hire someone else, they would still be waiting as well.
it's not really a professional job. they said it usually takes like a couple days for most people. if i don't get the call from the manager asking me to come in to fill out my paperwork on Monday i'm going to be scared.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:42 AM

614 posts, read 752,514 times
I dunno, but they might rescind the offer if they see you freaking out because the HR person who normally handles such things is on vacation, or something totally trivial like that.... ;-) If you are sure you have nothing to hide, take a deep breath and tell yourself the delay isn't your fault. About the only thing you can do is contact the hiring manager on Monday and ask if they are missing some information from you that would help to expedite the process, because you're really excited about the new job and eager to start work....

Old 08-06-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
I dunno, but they might rescind the offer if they see you freaking out because the HR person who normally handles such things is on vacation, or something totally trivial like that.... ;-) If you are sure you have nothing to hide, take a deep breath and tell yourself the delay isn't your fault. About the only thing you can do is contact the hiring manager on Monday and ask if they are missing some information from you that would help to expedite the process, because you're really excited about the new job and eager to start work....
i have nothing to hide but a couple traffic accidents in the last few years (one of which, this year, i was at fault for... I nicked someone in the parking lot, and left my contact information on their windshield). i also was let go from a job after a 1 week trial period. i have experience in this job so i should be much more successful here. i reaaally want and need this job.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:17 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,369,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
i have nothing to hide but a couple traffic accidents in the last few years (one of which, this year, i was at fault for... I nicked someone in the parking lot, and left my contact information on their windshield). i also was let go from a job after a 1 week trial period. i have experience in this job so i should be much more successful here. i reaaally want and need this job.
Companies these days don't do the background checks themselves. They out-source the task to a background checking company. There can be a number of reasons for the delay which have nothing to do with you personally.

They might have trouble reaching the resources to complete the background check. Maybe they called company XYZ, and the line is always busy. Or they get the run-around of who to talk to at the company who has the job of answering questions for your background check. It is that sort of thing.

I recommend you contact your supervisor, and ask if you can being work while the background check is being completed. Many companies do this anyway, and if they really find something they don't like, they can terminate the employee anyway.

What you don't want to do, is start off being defensive about the whole thing. Just contact the supervisor and discuss a start date while the background checking is being completed.

Find out the name of the background check company being used so you can contact them and ask what information left is needed for them to complete the background check. They might be contacting the wrong places entirely and don't know what to do about it.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 AM

10,077 posts, read 5,185,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
it's not really a professional job.
So why do you need a background check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or