Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:01 PM

307 posts, read 363,291 times

Advertisements

...at DICE.com or other sites even though your resume is not actively posted?

I have been searching through jobsites and did not post my resume online. I just send resumes directly through email to various companies. Actually, I call some of them over the phone.

Since I'm trying to "sneak out" of that company I just wanted to be absolutely sure there's no way that they can find out I'm looking.

Can y'all share some insights please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:09 PM

115 posts, read 98,667 times
Some websites will block your current employer
Indeed doesn't, funny you mention this because I uploaded my resume and HR dropped it off on my desk like hey look what I found online.

I think your boss will find out sooner or later when you start using conference rooms for phone calls and taking "random days off" for interviews. I'm at a small place so it's much harder to be discrete.

Me personally, I don't care if they know I'm looking.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
I tell my boss I'm searching for work in the hopes that he gets his act together. In fact I told him that yesterday morning. Also an IT pro, so yeah, don't be so afraid of them knowing.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:48 PM

307 posts, read 363,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I tell my boss I'm searching for work in the hopes that he gets his act together. In fact I told him that yesterday morning. Also an IT pro, so yeah, don't be so afraid of them knowing.
hmm, I always had this thinking that if they knew you were looking for a job they'd keep you away from the "in" group, and all the coffee-room meetings. I wonder if I'm making a big deal out of the whole thing.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:27 PM

115 posts, read 98,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
hmm, I always had this thinking that if they knew you were looking for a job they'd keep you away from the "in" group, and all the coffee-room meetings. I wonder if I'm making a big deal out of the whole thing.
Who care's about being in the "in" group, if you are trying to get out anyways.
Sometimes it might be the opposite where they are more inclined to tell you things that you shouldn't know because your "leaving anyways"

Old 08-06-2016, 07:26 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
...at DICE.com or other sites even though your resume is not actively posted?

I have been searching through jobsites and did not post my resume online. I just send resumes directly through email to various companies. Actually, I call some of them over the phone.

Since I'm trying to "sneak out" of that company I just wanted to be absolutely sure there's no way that they can find out I'm looking.

Can y'all share some insights please?
depends on your job industry and location. If you're in financial services - it's a very well networked group so chances are potential bosses and your current boss know each other. I seen this across the country, but again, this is financial services - compliance/risk management. But its ok- as long as you're good at what you do - you'll only have good things said about you and it helps.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
Any boss or company that doesn't think their employees are actively looking or at least passively available for other opportunities, is seriously very dense. In many cases, our bosses are probably doing the same. I never understood why we all can't be more open about it. Many places don't do enough to keep the good employees they do have, so they should be even more aware.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:32 AM

1,091 posts, read 580,096 times
I left my last job in June, after an exhaustive search for a new one, and some comments were made which suggested that senior management suspected something. It didn't seem to bother them, and everyone was very supportive about my new job.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:48 AM

429 posts, read 390,873 times
some people are very spiteful and will fire you or make your life miserable if they find out you're looking. Most people aren't going to go our of their way to hate job seekers. But once in a while...well..you get it.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
Some websites will block your current employer
Indeed doesn't, funny you mention this because I uploaded my resume and HR dropped it off on my desk like hey look what I found online.

I think your boss will find out sooner or later when you start using conference rooms for phone calls and taking "random days off" for interviews. I'm at a small place so it's much harder to be discrete.

Me personally, I don't care if they know I'm looking.
Wow, that's rather bold and unprofessional for HR to do that to you at your current job. What business it is of theirs where you post your resume?

I remember about 8 years ago, a company I worked at saw my resume listed on hotjobs or monster, one of those places, and my boss called me into his office to ask if I was happy there. I was not happy at that place, but I told him that my resume has always been up on those job sites for years, even when I'm not looking and it's my right to have it up there. I told him it would remain there and if he had concerns about that? It stayed... he was eventually fired, and I quit a couple months later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search