Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:30 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
hmm, I always had this thinking that if they knew you were looking for a job they'd keep you away from the "in" group, and all the coffee-room meetings. I wonder if I'm making a big deal out of the whole thing.
No, don't let them know you are looking for a job. Some people get passed over for promotions, or don't get a raise because they know you are trying to leave, so they have no reason to retain you. And what if you don't find another job you want to take for a year or more? No, there is no good that can come out of telling your employer you are looking for another job from my experience. They might terminate you, since they will feel better about doing so. It is a company, not your family, don't tell them anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I left my last job in June, after an exhaustive search for a new one, and some comments were made which suggested that senior management suspected something. It didn't seem to bother them, and everyone was very supportive about my new job.
When you tell them you are leaving and the response is, "I knew this was going to happen...", what it really means is that you caught them by surprise.

Who cares if the suspect something. If they suspect an employee is going to leave, it is their failing that led to it most likely, not that the employee isn't loyal. You aren't their property. You perform a service, and you get paid for it. That's it. You are like the utility company providing service and you pay for it. You don't invite the utility company to your Thanksgiving party with your family. :-)

Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
some people are very spiteful and will fire you or make your life miserable if they find out you're looking. Most people aren't going to go our of their way to hate job seekers. But once in a while...well..you get it.
Yes, some supervisors are very paranoid and selfish and become offended when people want to leave regardless of the reason. They become jealous too.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Wow, that's rather bold and unprofessional for HR to do that to you at your current job. What business it is of theirs where you post your resume?

I remember about 8 years ago, a company I worked at saw my resume listed on hotjobs or monster, one of those places, and my boss called me into his office to ask if I was happy there. I was not happy at that place, but I told him that my resume has always been up on those job sites for years, even when I'm not looking and it's my right to have it up there. I told him it would remain there and if he had concerns about that? It stayed... he was eventually fired, and I quit a couple months later.
I have a hard time believing HR is going to block another company's website. You can post your resume and look at websites at home, you don't need to do this at work. This isn't the 1990s when only the large company had internet access.

If anyone is blocking a company website, it is that company itself blocking it for your company (the competition) from viewing their website.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
some people are very spiteful and will fire you or make your life miserable if they find out you're looking. Most people aren't going to go our of their way to hate job seekers. But once in a while...well..you get it.
Yes, some managers/supervisors are egotistical and are offended by someone wanting to leave. The result can often be retaliation, even firing. A realistic manager knows that no one is indispensable, and that after some period of time with some loss of production, eventually a replacement will be up to speed. It's also up to us as managers to provide the motivation, monetary or otherwise to keep the best workers happy so they will stay.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:42 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,641 times
That's why I would have to be very discrete in transitioning to my next gig because I never want to be in a situation where I am fired and don't get the other job and end up with nothing.

So for starters I don't think job searching should be done while you at work using company computers even if they are in the computer room. Save all of that until you get home from work so you can concentrate and not worry about who will walk inside the room.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
If your employer fires you for looking for another job, send them a box of chocolates. They just made getting UI EASY!

Old 08-15-2016, 05:04 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
If your employer fires you for looking for another job, send them a box of chocolates. They just made getting UI EASY!
But getting UI is not a big deal since it's only 26 weeks

Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Depends on your level of discretion.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:30 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I rarely ever tell anyone I'm looking for another job. But I did teach high school for two years and my last year teaching, I made it clear to my administrator and department chair that I was looking elsewhere for a job. I only did this because I needed them for references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search