Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 11:54 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times

Advertisements

I have been in a position for about 6 months and there is a different position for which I would like to apply. There are two main reasons I would like to leave my current position: 1) there is a civil war underway between my manager and a second manager that I have to work with closely as part of the position; 2) I am dissatisfied with the very weak customer service culture at this company. I feel that I am a poor fit as my customer service standards are much higher, which causes some tension.

When applying for this other position, should I reference one or both of the reason I would like to make a change in my cover letter? Or should I focus solely on my qualifications and address the short tenure if/when I am asked? I was in the position prior to this one, so there isn't a history of job-hopping otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 12:03 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
There's two things going on here that need to be addressed.

First, no, you never mention extraneous details in your cover letter. The cover letter is to highlight your past experience and qualifications and why you feel that you are particularly suited for this position (what you bring to the table for this company and how you can contribute to its success). You address the short tenure only if asked at some point later on. That is, IF they ask. This question could very well be in the form of, "why are you currently looking/applying to our company."

Second, and this is a big one, you never mention anything negative about your current/former employer. Your two reasons why you want to leave are just your own personal reasons. Those two reasons are not suitable to mention to any potential employer, at least in its current form. So you have to put a positive spin on why you are seeking other opportunities, without badmouthing the company management, culture, etc. There are many google links on how to properly answer the question of why you are looking to leave your company.

Again, this is IF at some point the company asks about this.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:07 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Good advice. If I am asked, I wouldn't mention the "civil war" at all. The positive spin I would put on the switch, if asked, would be related to my desire to find a position with a highly customer-centric organization.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:22 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I'm in the same boat. I've been at my position for almost 6 months. I like my job, but my salary is WAY too low, and I dislike the location. I'm not putting anything in the cover letter about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search