Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 PM

299 posts, read 439,938 times

Advertisements

So, bottom line - I already know I'm screwed, but someone should help me feel better because I'm SO embarrassed.... borderline mortified AND I look like a complete careless, idiot. I hate feeling like this because I put a lot of pride in my work.

Long-story short: I am applying for a second part-time job. I'm a grad student with an internship, so I need something flexible. I applied to a nonprofit this morning and forgot to send a cover-letter. I e-mailed back once I got home from work and wrote a really nice cover letter... and apologized for forgetting to attach it. BUT, I addressed the cover letter (that I "forgot to send") to the WRONG nonprofit. Yes I'm serious. Yes i realize ITS very stupid. I am REALLY embarrassed.

I addressed the cover-letter to a VERY similar nonprofit, with a similar mission statement, but a completely different name. I even included the wrong nonprofit's mission statement. I am mortified and I have no idea how I let this slip past me. I've never done it before and mistakes like this REALLY aren't like me.

I don't know what to and that's where YOU ALL come in. Should I send a follow-up e-mail? I'm thinking probably not because I already sent an e-mail saying I had forgotten to send the original cover letter. I know I look like COMPLETE idiot. I don't need people to tell me that. Should I hope she doesn't notice??

****ty thing -- is this would have been a really cool gig, but I know I messed up my chances. I'm seriously so embarrassed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 09:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Quote:
Should I hope she doesn't notice??
I think she'll definitely notice. That's not the kind of thing that slips by. I honestly don't know what the best approach to this is. You could just forget about it and hope she calls anyway (wowed by your credentials and all), or you could send a new cover letter with a quick line about a previous email being in error (short and sweet). Honestly, I'd probably go with the latter, since you already messed up. I think I personally would feel better about correcting my mistake so they knew I realized I'd made one (not that I'm so flaky I didn't even know I sent the wrong letter). But I'm sure there are others who wouldn't bother sending in a new one.

In any case, don't beat yourself up about this. It's a big mistake, yes, but you're not the only one to make this kind of mistake. Good luck with the job hunting!

Old 08-09-2016, 03:57 AM

17 posts, read 13,768 times
It happens your human. Companies know that people use the same cover letter and tweek it so don't feel bad. I wouldn't bring any further attention to it. Just let it ride and keep job searching.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:48 AM

68 posts, read 123,343 times
Send them a copy of your resume and cover letter in through snail mail. Otherwise forget about it. I applied for a job yesterday and didn't include a cover letter. I don't think most read them any way. If you are qualified and they are struggling to find qualified people, a smart manager wouldn't eliminate a candidate because he/she didn't include a cover letter. If they did, they shouldn't be in a leadership position because every day that a job is empty the business loses money.

If you want to seem interested and silently cover up the issue, just send them a copy through snail mail.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:20 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
Resend an all new resume with the proper cover letter.

HR Rep "Annie," who receives your first submission, might think you're loopy, but HR Rep "Betty," who receives the good one, might forward it on to the powers that be.

No need to include any history.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:25 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
So, bottom line - I already know I'm screwed, but someone should help me feel better because I'm SO embarrassed.... borderline mortified AND I look like a complete careless, idiot. I hate feeling like this because I put a lot of pride in my work.

Long-story short: I am applying for a second part-time job. I'm a grad student with an internship, so I need something flexible. I applied to a nonprofit this morning and forgot to send a cover-letter. I e-mailed back once I got home from work and wrote a really nice cover letter... and apologized for forgetting to attach it. BUT, I addressed the cover letter (that I "forgot to send") to the WRONG nonprofit. Yes I'm serious. Yes i realize ITS very stupid. I am REALLY embarrassed.

I addressed the cover-letter to a VERY similar nonprofit, with a similar mission statement, but a completely different name. I even included the wrong nonprofit's mission statement. I am mortified and I have no idea how I let this slip past me. I've never done it before and mistakes like this REALLY aren't like me.

I don't know what to and that's where YOU ALL come in. Should I send a follow-up e-mail? I'm thinking probably not because I already sent an e-mail saying I had forgotten to send the original cover letter. I know I look like COMPLETE idiot. I don't need people to tell me that. Should I hope she doesn't notice??

****ty thing -- is this would have been a really cool gig, but I know I messed up my chances. I'm seriously so embarrassed!
Just re-send a corrected version. Say something like "Please disregard the first cover letter, it contains an error, and this one corrects it. I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused."

That's all you need to do. People make copy/paste mistakes, so this is understandable.

No, it doesn't make you look like an idiot. It makes it look like you are concerned about getting things right, can admit a mistake and correct mistakes when you discover them.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:29 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
I think they know that you are not applying to just one job. And everyone who sends out many letters is bound to make a few mistakes. I certainly wouldn't sweat it. They are primarily interested in your resume and what your can do for them - not in counting the mistakes you make - at least not till you are inside.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
Lotsa good responses here. Sometimes best not to overdo trying to fix things. THAT can actually do more harm than good.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
I wouldn't do anything and I wouldn't sweat it. They probably won't notice it and if they even read your cover letter they probably won't care.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:44 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I think they know that you are not applying to just one job.
That goes against everything employers say these days. They only want candidates who really want to work for them. If they find out that you're applying elsewhere, then they take it that you're just looking for any opportunity and truly don't believe that the particular company stands out from the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search