U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 09:12 PM

289 posts, read 413,516 times

Advertisements

I was just offered two jobs. At company A they were upfront about some of the details, like salary, and said they will put HR in touch with me about the rest of the details (still waiting for the call). Company B offered me the job, but will not discuss details of the offer, including salary, over the phone (believe me, I asked); they want me to meet with somebody in person. I can't just take off work in the next few days to attend a meeting with them, as my current workplace really needs me those days. Plus their office is a long way from my current office, so I'd have to take off a big chunk of my day just to meet with them to discuss something I feel could be handled via phone or email. I don't know if it's feasible to meet with them next week, because by then company A will have likely presented me with the formal offer and will be expecting an answer. The position at both companies is timely and would need to start ASAP, so I feel like I'd be pushing if I asked company A for a long timeframe to decide (during which I would hopefully hear back from company B).

So how do I move things along here? Is it too forward of me to contact company B and say that I've been offered a job somewhere else, and say that am still interested in their position but would need the details of their offer ASAP in order to decide? Or would that turn them off? I mean, I'd be happy to meet with them in person again if I decided to accept their offer, but is it really asking too much to get a brief rundown of the salary, insurance, and PTO through a phone call or email?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 08:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,574,572 times
i have never heard of a company not giving a verbal offer for a position. I would call HR and let them know that you understand their preference for an in person meeting but due to your current work commitments you cannot meet them in person without knowing the basic details first. If they still decline, i would honestly be hesitant to even work there - and then you may as well tell them that you do have another offer and if they are not willing to discuss there's you are no longer interested. But again, this is really dependent on your situation and how much you liked that job/company and how much you need/want that job. good luck

Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 AM

15,924 posts, read 23,707,391 times
Company B sounds like an absolute no. I have never hear of an employer requiring someone to come in to give them a verbal offer.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:24 PM

2,763 posts, read 2,610,056 times
Company B sounds like a scam or some type of bait and switch. I don't know anyone who wasn't given salary information with a verbal or written offer.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Company B sounds like a scam or some type of bait and switch. I don't know anyone who wasn't given salary information with a verbal or written offer.
I assure you the company and the position are legit, but yeah it does strike me as kind of odd that they won't discuss salary up front. It makes me wonder if they're really low compared to competitors and think that revealing the salary will scare people away right off the bat. Either that or some other strange reason that really doesn't hold up to convention.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
i have never heard of a company not giving a verbal offer for a position. I would call HR and let them know that you understand their preference for an in person meeting but due to your current work commitments you cannot meet them in person without knowing the basic details first. If they still decline, i would honestly be hesitant to even work there - and then you may as well tell them that you do have another offer and if they are not willing to discuss there's you are no longer interested. But again, this is really dependent on your situation and how much you liked that job/company and how much you need/want that job. good luck
I do plan on calling them back and telling them the things you suggested. The offer at company A turned out to be better than I anticipated, so while I'm interested in company B and would still like to see what they have to offer, I'm not going out of my way to pry details about their position from them anymore. If they can't give me at least a brief overview on the phone then I'm going to decline their offer.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:18 PM

2,763 posts, read 2,610,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
I do plan on calling them back and telling them the things you suggested. The offer at company A turned out to be better than I anticipated, so while I'm interested in company B and would still like to see what they have to offer, I'm not going out of my way to pry details about their position from them anymore. If they can't give me at least a brief overview on the phone then I'm going to decline their offer.
Sounds like either way it is all going to work out.

Congrats!

Old 08-12-2016, 08:41 AM

good luck- hope everything works out!

Old 08-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Well I called the company and told them I needed more information, and this time they gave it to me. Turns out they were offering me a lowball salary- far less than all of the competition I've seen- which probably explains why they didn't want to advertise the rate up front or tell it to me on the phone. I don't know how far they're going to get with that tactic. I declined their offer on the spot.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
Well I called the company and told them I needed more information, and this time they gave it to me. Turns out they were offering me a lowball salary- far less than all of the competition I've seen- which probably explains why they didn't want to advertise the rate up front or tell it to me on the phone. I don't know how far they're going to get with that tactic. I declined their offer on the spot.
it happens - i've had that happen once as well, when i had two other competing offers at the same time. I basically told them i understand they may be trying to save money but that i wouldn't be the right person in that instance and politely declined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search