Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,769,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnimeel View Post
Background - I was let go from my company almost 2 months ago. They basically let go of half of the their sales team. There was no warning that this was going to happen. They did not base who they kept on performance but based on tenure. Old people stayed, new people were let go.

I have been interviewing at companies as if I still work at my previous company. I'm a little embarrassed to say I was let go because this is the first time it has ever happened to me. When a company asks, why I'm looking to leave my current company after not being there for very long, I have a strong response as to why.

So I interviewed with a company and let them assume that I was still working. They made some comments about how it is a bit of a red flag that I'm looking to leave a company after only a couple of months but I talked around it and in the end they gave me an offer.

The offer is pending a background check where they asked me about my employment dates. I was honest with the background check and stated the date of when I was actually let go and selected that I was let go as the option.

I'm worried that once the background check is run, that my offer will get taken back. Has anyone experienced this before? If I was honest with the background check, will the report come back as all green saying that there is nothing to worry about. Or will someone read through it and notice that I was actually let go from a company a couple months ago and will that raise some flags?

Thanks so much!
I'm not certain but I would think that "being let go" from a company would be "flagged" by the background check and would definitely be provided in the report that the company gets. If you lied about during the interview (and assume you also lied about it on your resume), and even continued to play up the lie when they mentioned that it seemed like a red flag; I would think you wouldn't get hired or even worse could get fired if they somehow don't notice the lie until after you start working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
So... what was the outcome?

Old 07-23-2018, 10:53 AM

12,098 posts, read 16,979,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnimeel View Post
Background - I was let go from my company almost 2 months ago. They basically let go of half of the their sales team. There was no warning that this was going to happen. They did not base who they kept on performance but based on tenure. Old people stayed, new people were let go.

I have been interviewing at companies as if I still work at my previous company. I'm a little embarrassed to say I was let go because this is the first time it has ever happened to me. When a company asks, why I'm looking to leave my current company after not being there for very long, I have a strong response as to why.

So I interviewed with a company and let them assume that I was still working. They made some comments about how it is a bit of a red flag that I'm looking to leave a company after only a couple of months but I talked around it and in the end they gave me an offer.

The offer is pending a background check where they asked me about my employment dates. I was honest with the background check and stated the date of when I was actually let go and selected that I was let go as the option.

I'm worried that once the background check is run, that my offer will get taken back. Has anyone experienced this before? If I was honest with the background check, will the report come back as all green saying that there is nothing to worry about. Or will someone read through it and notice that I was actually let go from a company a couple months ago and will that raise some flags?

Thanks so much!
Yes, that happened to me.

I was in my early 20s and one of my first jobs I got canned after I think 14 months. I was talking to my mother and she thought THAT amount of time was bad to put on a resume, so she suggested to me that I tell employer/recruiters that I was still working at the company. So I did.

One of the recruiters called the company that let me go (can't remember reason) and I was outed. He did continue to help me though.

It was not a good idea to lie about that. People get laid off all of the time these days, especially if you are in sales.

What companies are more worried about is a string of short stints.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:17 PM

10,580 posts, read 11,991,567 times
The original post is from 2 years ago -- IF the OP Gnimeel is still around it would be nice to know if s/he was hired.

But OPs disappear and go AWOL all the time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search