Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

How many of these do you think the avg person has to do in his/her lifetime? Hopefully not many. So, I had to do one of these for work purposes the other day (got new job).

The times I had to do them, you're waiting in the waiting rm & of course hope you have to urinate at the right time, otherwise, they give you water to drink until you can. Then you leave the container that you urinate in on some shelf right outside the restroom OR in the restroom & you're free to leave. Simple!

Not anymore! I brought a bottle of water to drink before my appt. because I probably wouldn't have to go otherwise for a long time. You just hope the timing is right with having to go & when they call your name. Once you're back there, there's a whole multi-step process:

- you sit in that little room while they explain how things will go
- they tell you to wash your hands while they watch
- they lead you to the bathroom where you have exactly 3 min to urinate! It almost looked like she was going to come in to watch me urinate, but didn't!
- of course you have to fill up the cup so much
- you can't wash hands immediately yet or flush any toilets
- you tell the employee you're done & they check out things in the rr
- they tell you to turn on some switch outside the rr, then they flush toilet
- you're then told to wash hands
you go back in that little room where you watch them do a few things, such as put on the label & you initial your own label on your urine container, then they have you click & sign a few places on their computer, then watch them do this & that. I realize it's to make sure nothing's tampered with.
- Then, you're finally done, whew!

I hope I don't have to take too many more of these in my lifetime!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-13-2016 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:46 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
I've had to do those ever since I joined the service years ago, and yes, I hate them. In the military we actually had to have someone watch you pee in the cup. And I've also had to serve my turn as the watcher. I don't know which is worse, being watched or having to watch people pee all day.

But to me the worst part about it is the fundamental assumption you're guilty until proven innocent and all you can do is prove you're innocent today. I've actually heard OSI guys say that they know everyone is guilty but they just haven't caught you yet. Everything about it violates the most fundamental beliefs of our founding fathers.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
Wow. You have just met the reason why so many pre employment urine tests USED to result in phony "drug free " readings. People would bring in a hidden test tube of urine from somebody else, who was "clean " and put it into the test tube.

THAT is why the testing now is so controlled. Blame the wide spread use of illegal drugs in your country.

Of course, in some industries, even current employees are subject to sudden snap testing. Examples would be transit operators, miners, electrical line men, transport drivers, and of course medical Doctors and Nurses.

JiM B.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:56 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I have done at least 7-8(maybe 10, I lost count) of them in the past 5 years because I do consulting work and often new clients require a drug test.

One time a took a tad too long in the restroom and the nurse almost broke down the door. You could hear the distress in her voice. After that I learned to go(produce sample) at lightning speed and finish up immediately. I also leave the door open 1-2 inches in case the nurse needs to enter. The door is at the end of a hallway in the staff area so only the nurse would go near the door anyway.

The reason it's so involved now is that people can cheat. You forgot to mention they have a built-in thermometer on the urine cup and they check the temp. This is to prevent someone bringing in urine from someone else and pouring into the cup.

I just took one again a few weeks ago.

The worst part about taking the tests is that you must meet the deadline to take it else it's considered as failed. I always go the first day to prevent any unforeseen emergencies that could cause you to miss the test. In my area only are open for drug tests for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon. If you are in an existing job and drug testing for a new job, you likely will need to take the morning or afternoon off, unfortunately. 10-12 and 1-3 are typical drug testing hours that I have seen.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:06 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Wow. You have just met the reason why so many pre employment urine tests USED to result in phony "drug free " readings. People would bring in a hidden test tube of urine from somebody else, who was "clean " and put it into the test tube.

Great idea. Thanks for the advice. I was about to quit smoking pot, but I'll try your way first.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:44 PM

I wish they'd give random surprise tests to my SO's sister. She smokes weed.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:01 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
I have not taken a drug test in years. If they drug tested in the places I have worked, the businesses would have to shut down.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
How many of these do you think the avg person has to do in his/her lifetime? Hopefully not many. So, I had to do one of these for work purposes the other day (got new job).

The times I had to do them, you're waiting in the waiting rm & of course hope you have to urinate at the right time, otherwise, they give you water to drink until you can. Then you leave the container that you urinate in on some shelf right outside the restroom OR in the restroom & you're free to leave. Simple!

Not anymore! I brought a bottle of water to drink before my appt. because I probably wouldn't have to go otherwise for a long time. You just hope the timing is right with having to go & when they call your name. Once you're back there, there's a whole multi-step process:

- they lead you to the bathroom where you have exactly 3 min to urinate! It almost looked like she was going to come in to watch me urinate, but didn't!
you go back in that little room where you watch them do a few things, such as put on the label & you initial your own label on your urine container, then they have you click & sign a few places on their computer, then watch them do this & that. I realize it's to make sure nothing's tampered with.

Let's see...

Go into place (Bummer it was in a city I avoid due to traffic)
sign in, show ID
Wait 25 min (Bladder saying "Yeah, I can do this")
Go in, fill cup close cup
finish and call attendant
She checks temp (It's on bottle)
Seals placed
Leave...

I've even had one where I went in, showed ID, handed cup, told to fill and finished, came back out, they sealed bottle and I left....Never had anything explained to me since it pretty much was commons sense. Never HAD to wash hands (Did it after I was done) but that's optional....(I usually don't pee on my hands)

Old 08-13-2016, 02:23 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Honestly, you're making a big deal out of nothing. Have to do the same thing for an annual physical at the doctor's office.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Honestly, you're making a big deal out of nothing. Have to do the same thing for an annual physical at the doctor's office.
True, overall, wasn't too bad & if you can urinate quickly & at their requested amount, you're in & out in 15 min...NOT counting the wait in the waiting room before they call you in. That's another 15-20 min usually even w/ an appt.

The new surprise for me was the 3-minute time limit to urinate when I wasn't sure I even had to go, but I did it. Also, never had all the watching the employee do several things & signing my signature in a few places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search