U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:23 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,024,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I forget the exact wording, but on every form I've filed out, there is a part to list all of my former jobs. Under that there is a part that says something along the lines of "May we contact employer" with a yes or no box. If you check no, do they contact them any way? I'll be honest, I don't want them checking because one job I quit and the one before that I was fired from. The one I quit, I'm not much worried about, because I've seen them say we don't give references on the phone. The one I was fired from I'm sure does give bad references.
From what I've heard, the HR/hiring manager will respect whether you want them to contact your previous employers. However, a "No" will likely definitely come across as a red flag and if you have more than one "No", then I think most hiring managers would eliminate you. The only time they won't be suspicious is it is your Current employer, since many people want to keep it anonymous when they are job searching. Although, most higher-level professional firms contact your References as opposed to your previous employers anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 PM

10,019 posts, read 9,202,013 times
There is no legal obligation for HR or HM to abide by your request not to contact current or previous employers. As to how it is interpreted, that will vary from person to person. If a person checks that box for current employer, I assume that they want to keep their job search quiet. If they do it for previous employers, I assume that they were fired or left on unpleasant terms.

Regardless, if I am interested in hiring somebody, I will contact any and all employers, references, supervisors, etc. It doesn't matter whether I am granted explicit permission or not. Of course, that is for more senior positions. Entry or lower level positions get a trelatively cursory background check.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,859,122 times
I always check "do not contact" for my present job that I'm working at and "may contact" for all of my old jobs.

I get interviews, so that must be the way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or