Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 AM

341 posts, read 412,309 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Orland Park,Illinois USA. It is about ½ hour southwest of Chicago, Illinois,USA. I would like to relocate someplace. What is stopping me is Ineed/want to make sure I have a job first. I would like to stay inthe USA. My civilian background is in Early Childhood (ECE). Mymilitary background is in medical field. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:38 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
I currently live in Orland Park,Illinois USA. It is about ½ hour southwest of Chicago, Illinois,USA. I would like to relocate someplace. What is stopping me is Ineed/want to make sure I have a job first. I would like to stay inthe USA. My civilian background is in Early Childhood (ECE). Mymilitary background is in medical field. Any suggestions?
What's the economy like in Chicago? And is it making you want to relocate somewhere else?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,260 times
Do you specifically know where you want to relocate? Obviously the most basic of suggestions is to start applying everywhere you can. Literally make that your full time job and make it a point to make at least a dozen applications everyday all over the country (or whichever areas you find acceptable). That's really the only way you'll be able to find a job first. Finding a job is a numbers game, the more you apply the bigger your chances of finding something.

Since you have a military background you could start with USAJobs.gov

Networking is of course the easiest way of finding jobs, so definitely navigate your networks. But obviously if you are trying to relocate somewhere new where you don't know anyone it might be difficult.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 AM

68 posts, read 123,343 times
I relocated from Chicago to AZ several years ago...and I have deeply regretted it ever since. So when you say "I want to relocate somewhere" it sounds like confusion. Figure out where you want to move (and why), then begin targeting jobs in that location. Your military service will help you in places where they use a point system: government. Try state jobs. In fact, the City of Phoenix is having a massive hiring event next week. I know they are desperate to find employees. You can go to their website Phoenix.gov and they have an ad about it right on their website.

(Though I caution you from moving here, but thought I would share any way). Good luck

Old 08-19-2016, 09:14 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abvincent1 View Post
I relocated from Chicago to AZ several years ago...and I have deeply regretted it ever since. So when you say "I want to relocate somewhere" it sounds like confusion. Figure out where you want to move (and why), then begin targeting jobs in that location. Your military service will help you in places where they use a point system: government. Try state jobs. In fact, the City of Phoenix is having a massive hiring event next week. I know they are desperate to find employees. You can go to their website Phoenix.gov and they have an ad about it right on their website.

(Though I caution you from moving here, but thought I would share any way). Good luck
Out of curiosity, why do you regret the move? Is it related with the state of the job market in Arizona or is it a quality of life issue?

Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM

68 posts, read 123,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you regret the move? Is it related with the state of the job market in Arizona or is it a quality of life issue?
Arizona does not have the professional opportunities Chicago had; in fact it is no where close. Moving to AZ considerably slowed my professional growth. The culture is vastly different, the education is different, there is no green grass, there are just a lot of various reasons. However, I have also made friends, enjoyed the climate and many other things as well.

My family is in the Midwest which also makes it difficult. WHat I am saying is when I moved I do not think I fully thought it through. And that has created this level of regret. But life is short so don't live in the past if you want to move then do it. You garner less in life when you fail to take some level of risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search