U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:30 PM

4,999 posts, read 2,569,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelon View Post
I thought it was against the law to ask someone's age, whether direct or indirect.
An employer can ask you anything they want. They just can't discriminate against you because of it but good luck trying to prove that. I've been asked how old I am before, if I was single or in a relationship, and also the occupations of my parents. Anything goes in a job interview these days, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 12:04 PM

13,343 posts, read 18,122,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
How would you answer if asked though? I was honest and I'm not too far from 40 so I was probably too old. My resume showed over ten years of professional experience though so my age was no secret and they still interviewed me.
I've been asked similar questions before on a phone screen and have asked them back "May I ask how my highschool GPA and extra-curricular activities relate to the job qualifications? " They merely mumbled something about being required to ask as part of their standard practice.
It was Google.
But, to be fair, that was 10 years ago and they didn't ask me these questions in my most recent interview with them.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:48 PM

429 posts, read 313,352 times
when the HR or employer questions clearly lack any intelligent intent other than to pick apart/scorn/discriminate - then it serves absolutely no purpose for the job seeker to continue with the interrogation. It becomes a posturing or really "mine is bigger than yours" because "I'm in the position of power." It's a game to some people.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 AM

12,666 posts, read 11,417,861 times
I dug deeper and found this is a tactic they use on most of their interviews. Always asking about HS and College, even when interviewing executive/upper management type positions. A rep claims they are seeking out well rounded, outgoing individuals, who had a good balance in school of studying and extra curricular activities and not just someone who pounded the books.

Unfortunately most people aren't the same people they were in HS or College so their efforts are worthless/pointless. When I told them I worked at a shelter in college, they really pushed the issue about what kind of shelter and asked what my duties were. When I finally said a womens shelter they pressed why men weren't allowed. When I finally said it was a battered womens shelter, they asked if I had a personal connection to a battered women's shelter. Talk about clueless lol

Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM

436 posts, read 362,962 times
What industry is this if I may ask?

Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 PM
ERH

1,272 posts, read 1,773,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
What industry is this if I may ask?
And what level/type of position?

Old 08-23-2016, 09:52 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,710,507 times
''Morons who are the gatekeepers'' is right! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or