Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 11:58 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

I know someone who is 3 months pregnant, and they are applying for a 5-6 month contract position, should they inform the employer during the interview they are pregnant or wait a month or two after they have the job and starts showing to let them know she is pregnant?

Is she obligated to mention it?

Would this be dishonest to not bring it up at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:06 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
This would not even be a question in my mind. No on all counts. And certainly not at the interview when she hasn't even been offered a job.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:50 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
some advice

https://www.learnvest.com/2014/05/pr...job-interview/

Quote:
That’s the predicament Karin Zannella, 35, of Fairfield, Conn., found herself in while pregnant with her first child in 2011. Though she was just eight weeks along (and wasn’t showing yet), Zannella decided to inform both companies she interviewed with for a new job.

“I was very nervous, as I knew I could be risking my shot at either job, but I knew that it was the right thing to do to ensure it was the right fit—both short term and long term,” says Zannella, who is now a senior manager of customer marketing and sales planning for a major food brand.

She wanted to use her pregnancy news as an opportunity to ask each employer about their willingness to let her work from home two days after her baby arrived, so she told them over the phone before her third round of interviews.

“I could have kept it quiet until I was hired and well into my second trimester. But I felt that it was important to be upfront and honest from the start in order to gauge how each would respond to my situation,” says Zannella.

In the end, her honesty paid off. Both companies responded that her pregnancy news didn’t affect her candidacy—and she ultimately received two offers. She accepted the one that gave her the best flexibility.
Forbes Welcome

Pregnant? What to say in a job interview - CBS News

Old 08-22-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
This would not even be a question in my mind. No on all counts. And certainly not at the interview when she hasn't even been offered a job.
It is supposedly a final interview in which they want to meet her in person before giving her the contract job, but she hasnt mentioned she is pregnant to them yet. I think she is due in late April and the contract is Sept to Late March, so right when she is due is when the contract should end.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:39 PM

8 posts, read 7,723 times
I personally wouldn't mention it if I were her. I sat in on an interview for a candidate for a full-time, salaried IT position. The interview went well and we basically thought that the candidate being interviewed was the one. At the very end of the interview, she dropped a bombshell on us - she had been diagnosed with cancer and would need to begin treatment soon.

That revelation from her caused the hiring manager to reverse course and remove this candidate from consideration and the hiring manager offered the job to someone else, purely because the candidate with cancer would end up needing time off from work for treatment and she wanted someone who could be there day-in and day-out regardless and would could potentially work overtime as well. That was unethical and basically illegal but that is what she did. Always be careful what you disclose.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:00 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
you realize men can take paternity leave as well right?

If my wife had our kid, I would be there for the full 12 weeks as well. With both taking 12 months each, one of us is there for the first 6 months

Old 08-22-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Mayhem View Post
I personally wouldn't mention it if I were her. I sat in on an interview for a candidate for a full-time, salaried IT position. The interview went well and we basically thought that the candidate being interviewed was the one. At the very end of the interview, she dropped a bombshell on us - she had been diagnosed with cancer and would need to begin treatment soon.

That revelation from her caused the hiring manager to reverse course and remove this candidate from consideration and the hiring manager offered the job to someone else, purely because the candidate with cancer would end up needing time off from work for treatment and she wanted someone who could be there day-in and day-out regardless and would could potentially work overtime as well. That was unethical and basically illegal but that is what she did. Always be careful what you disclose.
True and being in a right to work state, im sure they can do what they want. Hopefully she gets the job, but if she gives birth before the contract is over, I hope they cant say she breached the contract.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
True and being in a right to work state, im sure they can do what they want. Hopefully she gets the job, but if she gives birth before the contract is over, I hope they cant say she breached the contract.

At will is the law that allows flexibility; all RTW covers is collecting union dues from 100% vs just those deciding to join a union on their own.

Outside of EEOC issues, employers can choose to not consider any candidate for any reason, in every state. A few states have disallowed background credit checks, but that only comes when someone is selected.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:35 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I understand that being pregnant is not a reason to fire someone. But what happens if you work at a job for months, then go on maternity leave for two months. Let's pretend that your position is essential to the function of your company, and the company would have problems hiring a temp replacement for a few months.

Would the company be able to fire you for not keeping your end of the contract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search