Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 AM

85 posts, read 235,258 times

Advertisements

I have a little problem. I am trying to return to work after staying home with my children for almost 10 years. I decided to re-do my resume and I contacted some of my previous employers to make sure I had the correct dates of employment. My last job was in the medical field (not nursing) and there was some changes to company after I left. When I called to get my dates of employment at that job, HR gave an ending date that was a whole year later than when I left. I ended my employment soon after the birth of my premature twins because they wanted me to do call and I had no childcare available (husband was working out of town at the time). I guess they instead put me in the system as PRN after I left (clerical error?). I will say that the department was a mess around the time I left. They had to move a lot of people around. I know my old supervisor is no longer there. Apparently there is no other record other than that available. My question is what would you do? I don't want to lie but I don't want any inconsistencies that I would have to explain. Just asking what you would do? If I wanted to get it changed to the correct dates, how do I go about doing that? It's been almost 10 years.

Last edited by nutraveler; 08-30-2016 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I would put what you know to be correct on your application. If you are interviewed let the employer know that your former employer's records may be incorrect and explain why your date is correct. Possibly your former employer hoped that you would return to work once your children's care could be arranged, it could be a clerical error or it could be recording the expiration of fringe benefits.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the help. I just didn't want too many complications in my job search. It's stressful enough.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 AM

425 posts, read 646,911 times
This was 10 years ago so I wouldn't stress about it. If you get an offer and they said they will do a background check just let them know FYI you called to confirm records and there record is off by a year due to them not handling your maternity absence correctly. Not a big deal

Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
I had something similar to happen with an employer from about 12 years ago. Large financial services company, so the error was surprising. They had incorrect dates (off by about a year on start date and many months on end date) that they reported to subsequent employer inquiries.

The first time it happened, I compiled photocopies of long-ago bank statements showing direct deposits for the first and last months I worked there (and removing balances from the statements). I also put together a one-paragraph description of the error. I had to provide the information a couple additional times to subsequent HR departments, so it was worth putting this together.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutraveler View Post
I have a little problem. I am trying to return to work after staying home with my children for almost 10 years. I decided to re-do my resume and I contacted some of my previous employers to make sure I had the correct dates of employment. My last job was in the medical field (not nursing) and there was some changes to company after I left. When I called to get my dates of employment at that job, HR gave an ending date that was a whole year later than when I left. I ended my employment soon after the birth of my premature twins because they wanted me to do call and I had no childcare available (husband was working out of town at the time). I guess they instead put me in the system as PRN after I left (clerical error?). I will say that the department was a mess around the time I left. They had to move a lot of people around. I know my old supervisor is no longer there. Apparently there is no other record other than that available. My question is what would you do? I don't want to lie but I don't want any inconsistencies that I would have to explain. Just asking what you would do? If I wanted to get it changed to the correct dates, how do I go about doing that? It's been almost 10 years.
put the correct date; not the incorrect date from the company and you'll be fine

Old 08-30-2016, 01:12 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutraveler View Post
Give the correct dates as you know then, because who knows what other databases they have access to when doing a background check. If you gave the incorrect information the former HR has it will not match. However, I have to tell you, for background checks for things like dates, they usually come back to the employee to allow for corrections. But don't rely on that.

Meanwhile, I think you should find out who is head of HR at the old company. Write them a letter, send it registered by postal mailing written in a friendly and professional manner such as this:

Hello Mr/Ms. HR person,

My name is nutraveler and I'm seeking your assistance to correct HR records on my behalf. I was employer by XYZ as a "job title" from start/date to end/date. However, when I called to confirm this as I'm preparing my application to seek employment, it seems that HR has incorrect dates for my employment. I intend to give the correct dates that I have documents for (please see attached) to any prospective employers processing my background check. I would greatly appreicate your help in getting these HR records corrected. I can be contacted by phone at (xxx) xxx-xxxx, by e-mail at me@nutraveler.com or by postal mail at 124 N. Main Street, Anytown, USA 12345.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 PM

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search