U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 PM

9,165 posts, read 13,533,873 times

Advertisements

I'm currently updating my CV and I'm just curious if something should be included. Different people have given me contradictory advice on this.

I'm a member of the Republican Party executive committee for my county, and also served as a delegate representing my electoral district in the GOP state convention where we voted on the party platform. Some have told me this reflects that I am a well-rounded person and demonstrates my leadership and community service skills. I know others who have put something similar on their CVs and just left out which political party they were a member of.

Do you think that's a good idea, to mention it but leave out the political party? I do know that political affiliation isn't a protected category and that they technically won't be breaking the law by asking.

Personally, if I was interviewing someone, and they said they were President of the College Democrats I would most definitely not hire them (I would assume they will demand an overly PC environment, take issue with any mention of God, perhaps demand an unreasonable salary like the $15 minimum wage advocates or engage in union blackmail) , but if they left the party unidentified I would see their involvement as something positive. What's y'alls take on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 PM

1,160 posts, read 576,930 times
Don't do it.

Our county is too divided right now. So much so that you really do need to hide your political affiliations, especially in the public sector. Look at what happened today - you were just lumped into a fringe "alt-right" ideology b/c you don't vote democrat.

Maybe say you served as a delegate and active in local politics. Just don't mention party until you know the hiring manager better.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 PM

6,080 posts, read 7,808,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Personally, if I was interviewing someone, and they said they were President of the College Democrats I would most definitely not hire them (I would assume they will demand an overly PC environment, take issue with any mention of God, perhaps demand an unreasonable salary like the $15 minimum wage advocates or engage in union blackmail) , but if they left the party unidentified I would see their involvement as something positive. What's y'alls take on this?
A politically active Democrat is not someone you would hire but somebody with a 50% chance of being a politically active Democrat is someone you would be more likely to hire than somebody with a 0% chance of being a politically active Democrat? This is why Republicans are fighting a war on science. They don't understand probability.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 PM

10,666 posts, read 18,068,190 times
I agree, don't mention party.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:38 PM

9,165 posts, read 13,533,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I agree, don't mention party.
But you think it would be good to just mention serving as a delegate and being on the executive committee but leaving the party out? Or just not mention that I'm involved in politics at all? I'm just concerned that someone will demand to know what party I served.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:06 PM

6,080 posts, read 7,808,622 times
Quote:
I'm just concerned that someone will demand to know what party I served.
If they wanted to know, they would just google it. No matter how common your name is, I'm guessing that it won't show up on the lists of delegates for both political parties.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:42 PM

2,364 posts, read 2,490,639 times
Dont mention it. Why risk your chances? Just because something is allowed legally, it doesn't mean people are comfortable with it. Always leave politics out of workplace & resumes if your field has nothing to do with politics. The same reason you wont mention your religion. Its a sensitive subject for many. Just because you wont eat the lion, doesn't mean that lion wont eat you.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:01 AM

10,608 posts, read 18,992,806 times
Unless it is for a political position in your party, I wouldn't mention politics at all.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:10 AM

6,079 posts, read 6,401,177 times
I was a manager at a very well known high tech company for 23 years. My advice:

Never discuss politics or religion in the work environment.

If I saw that stuff on your CV, I'd pass you by. I would assume that you would create problems that I would have to deal with. I would also question your judgment.

Work is about getting results to achieve an objective. Unless your work is dealing directly with getting somebody elected, leave politics off your CV.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:32 AM

5,339 posts, read 2,851,635 times
Quote:
What's y'alls take on this?
I recommend doing this only if you know for sure that the hiring manager shares the same political views. Research the HM online and find out if they donated to any political campaign recently or if they mention politics in any of their social networking posts. You never know, you just might run away with the "fit" factor and jump to the top of their candidate list.

I'm libertarian and always thought I could have at least some sort of dialogue about politics, or agreement about certain issues, with a conservative HM should something like that occur. However, this election cycle has revealed to me that most conservatives are very close-minded and have been quick to dismiss any other party as "being in bed" with Hillary Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search