U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Planet Telex
4,990 posts, read 2,559,674 times
Reputation: 4758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Yes, I believe this too. It's because none of them are going to get fired because they missed out on hiring someone. It isn't like they work in customer service where if they don't do their job they loose business or the customers complain.
There is an old saying. "Those who can, do; those who can't, HR."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM
 
16,240 posts, read 18,691,275 times
Reputation: 14176
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Because they probably found another candidate to fill the interview slot before you returned their call. Most HR reps are under pressure to fill slots so a lot of times whoever they get in contact with first usually gets the slot.
I am a job candidate that answered the live call and passed the screening interview that occurred during the live call. Another phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled to occur an hour later and I agreed to the short notice. That interview went well so a technical interview was scheduled with someone else for the next morning. I did well in that interview too and got the job offer the next day. I accepted the job.

I learned there were 3 candidate's resumes that matched the job qualificiations. All 3 were called but I was the only one that answered the call live. Things went so well with me that the other 2 candidates lost out because their calls went to voice mail and I answered live. The company was in a hurry to fill the position. It was a high paying job with a well known Fortune 100 company and the position was exactly what I was looking for. Luck was on my side that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2016, 04:56 PM
 
1,193 posts, read 775,425 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I am a job candidate that answered the live call and passed the screening interview that occurred during the live call. Another phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled to occur an hour later and I agreed to the short notice. That interview went well so a technical interview was scheduled with someone else for the next morning. I did well in that interview too and got the job offer the next day. I accepted the job.

I learned there were 3 candidate's resumes that matched the job qualificiations. All 3 were called but I was the only one that answered the call live. Things went so well with me that the other 2 candidates lost out because their calls went to voice mail and I answered live. The company was in a hurry to fill the position. It was a high paying job with a well known Fortune 100 company and the position was exactly what I was looking for. Luck was on my side that day.
Yup, if they call a candidate and get the voicemail they normally move to the next person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Seattle
2,597 posts, read 1,349,393 times
Reputation: 5159
HR Manager here.

We don't call and we don't reply because frankly, we simply don't care.

No HR person with any history wants to deal with the desperate masses. Sure, we'll put on a show and document that calls were made and emails sent, but if no one answers, or no replies within 3-5 minutes, we're happy close that door.

Now quit bothering me, I need to feed my 7 cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 04:56 PM
 
1,193 posts, read 775,425 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
HR Manager here.

We don't call and we don't reply because frankly, we simply don't care.

No HR person with any history wants to deal with the desperate masses. Sure, we'll put on a show and document that calls were made and emails sent, but if no one answers, or no replies within 3-5 minutes, we're happy close that door.

Now quit bothering me, I need to feed my 7 cats.
And that's probably because you figured most people have cell phones so why wouldn't they return the call in 3 to 5 mins if their phone is on them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Planet Telex
4,990 posts, read 2,559,674 times
Reputation: 4758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
HR Manager here.

We don't call and we don't reply because frankly, we simply don't care.

No HR person with any history wants to deal with the desperate masses. Sure, we'll put on a show and document that calls were made and emails sent, but if no one answers, or no replies within 3-5 minutes, we're happy close that door.

Now quit bothering me, I need to feed my 7 cats.
Thank God you're joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Seattle
2,597 posts, read 1,349,393 times
Reputation: 5159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Thank God you're joking.
Thank you sandsthetime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM
 
179 posts, read 105,491 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Thank you sandsthetime
Are you though? There's hints of truth in that post and unfortunately I'm not referring to the cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Seattle
2,597 posts, read 1,349,393 times
Reputation: 5159
Actually, I only have one cat who doesn't care much either.

It's true I'm an HR guy and no, I don't actually think or practice as I earlier posted. I wrote that response after seeing the multitude of HR complaints on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Southern California
212 posts, read 148,735 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
And that's probably because you figured most people have cell phones so why wouldn't they return the call in 3 to 5 mins if their phone is on them

True. But people who are currently employed and seeking another position often cannot answer their phones during their work hours and/or don't want to speak about an employment opportunity during work hours when they might be overheard by an employer or co-workers. Back when I was looking for a job, I waited until a break or lunch hour to call back so that there was privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top