Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 04:55 PM

179 posts, read 155,855 times

Advertisements

Is it so hard for people to call you on time for an interview? Really? Is it so very, very hard? Today was the umpteenth time that the "interviewer" did not call me on time for the phone interview. And we're not talking 5 or 10 minutes late - try 45 minutes. So the man calls, when I had just started my workout since I figured after 30 minutes they just didn't care and weren't ever going to call. Well, I was in the middle of my biceps curls and was not in a good mood to handle somone who can't tell time. So I told him, "weren't you supposed to call at noon?" He mumbles and stumbles about calling at 1pm because that is what his schedule said. I sat there and thought "but you're calling 15 minutes early for a 1pm appointment, that's even worse than calling me 45 minutes late." Whatever. Maybe they should teach people how to tell time in school nowadays.

Here's a tip to employers - CALL POTENTIAL EMPLOYEES ON TIME FOR INTERVIEWS THAT YOU SCHEDULE! You look like fools and act like it when you don't. And it's not that hard, it really isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 06:02 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
It's a sign of disorganization and maybe even incompetency on their behalf. Not only does it reflect poorly on them, but it does give you a negative first impression right off the bat.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
I had both a phone interview and an in-person interview with the same guy that were 30-45 minutes late. Irritates me to no end and is an immediate strike against the company in my book.

I hire in my current position, and I treat an interview with a potential hire as importantly as I do a meeting with my boss: I'm prompt and prepared. Being late or unprepared, as an interviewer, is a sign the you don't take your subordinates time seriously.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:49 AM

345 posts, read 252,263 times
I had a Skype interview scheduled last week with two different people at the same company. The first never called and I didn't receive a message about a cancellation. I guess my time isn't as important. Another phone interview scheduled yesterday and the guy called me 30 minutes late.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:58 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
I had a phone interview scheduled and the recruiter emailed me about five minutes before and said she was running a bit late and would call 10 minutes after the scheduled time. I waited... and waited... and WAITED. Over an hour after she said she would call, I emailed her and asked if there were any issues or if we needed to reschedule. The NEXT DAY I got an email from her that said "I'm so sorry! I got tied up and forgot! Can we reschedule for tomorrow?"

I understand that things come up, but that was ridiculous. If I'd done something like that to them, they would have blacklisted me.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I understand that things come up, but that was ridiculous. If I'd done something like that to them, they would have blacklisted me.
Yup. But see our time as job seekers is not worth anything to them because we are subhuman and they have jobs.

And another thing employers - when you call please identify who you are and what company you are from. Do you think us subhuman job seekers only apply to your job and wait, wait, wait for you to call? I apply to hundreds of jobs, mostly with the same job title - tell me who you are so I can look up where, when and how I applied for that job, especially if I have to call you back. Sheesh. Basic phone etiquette 101.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
I had a Skype interview scheduled last week with two different people at the same company. The first never called and I didn't receive a message about a cancellation. I guess my time isn't as important. Another phone interview scheduled yesterday and the guy called me 30 minutes late.
Yeah, what is the deal with that? Really, I want to know. Is it a generational thing and the young uns just really, really can't tell time? I think it is - no one wears watches any more, so time is irrelevant.

So, I talked to the hiring manager about an open position today and he said he wants a face to face interview. I said great! let's do it! He then said he has to go through HR to set it up. All my enthusiasm then disappeared. It'll never happen. HR does nothing, ever. Nothing will ever be set up. I will then have to contact the hiring manager again and he'll have no clue and never get back to me and maybe in two months I'll get a rejection notice. Guaranteed.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
And another thing employers - when you call please identify who you are and what company you are from. Do you think us subhuman job seekers only apply to your job and wait, wait, wait for you to call? I apply to hundreds of jobs, mostly with the same job title - tell me who you are so I can look up where, when and how I applied for that job, especially if I have to call you back. Sheesh. Basic phone etiquette 101.
Yes! I had one call and give absolutely zero information, not even her name. She just said something along the lines of "Hi Melodica, I got your application and I want to interview you. Call me back at xxxxx." Thankfully I was able to find out the company by the phone number she called from and I'd only applied for one position there, but yeah... total lack of professionalism.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:12 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
It never use to be this way.

Everything changed after this last recession.

Today, the people with jobs to give are very smug and couldn't care less about you, the applicant. Your time means absolutely nothing to them.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:02 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
It never use to be this way.
It did, actually. I've been blown off or delayed for phone interviews several times over the past 20 years. Once a prospective employer has treated me with a lack of courtesy, they generally have to work at it if they are still interested in the opportunity to speak with me. My time is every bit as valuable as theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search