U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 08:52 PM

704 posts, read 348,248 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Summarizing my story: Spaniard Chemical Engineer with nearly 2 years of experience in power generation and Oil & Gas (projects). I have been unemployed 1 year and a half between I was in Spain and moved to Mexico to land a job (see unemployment in Spain). I had a hard time looking for jobs in Mexico so I decided to look for jobs everywhere in any country/continent but finally I got a job offer in Mexico.

Currently: Now I just have 1 month and a half working as engineer in Mexico (near Mexico City but out of that state). I am now working as Project Developer in pneumatic/mechanical conveying systems for bulk handling materials (no background experience at all in that field). The main problem: I am working in local conditions, no holidays at all, long-hours a day working (10-12), really bad salary to only survive and I need to be supported by my parents from Spain to have a "decent" life.

I read somewhere else in this forum that is not a bad idea to look for jobs while working and in the past weekend I updated my resume putting in the current job: July 2016 - Present. Now I have many questions: what to do?; where to go?; what in the hell I am doing in this country? (I come from the developed world).

I accepted the job because I really need experience (I am 30 and lack of years of experience) but to be honest, I would need a really good job to want to stay in Mexico in the future (I don`t like Mexico, it`s a poor country). My idea is to gain international experience and come back to Spain (no matter where I gain international experience); international experience in an engineering field could be valuable there but the problem is the financial crisis and the huge unemployment rates in Spain. Of course, is a difficult situation and I am worried about taking bad decisions. I can`t afford it now.

Is a good idea to start looking for jobs right now? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 12:30 AM

64 posts, read 40,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hi everyone,

Summarizing my story: Spaniard Chemical Engineer with nearly 2 years of experience in power generation and Oil & Gas (projects). I have been unemployed 1 year and a half between I was in Spain and moved to Mexico to land a job (see unemployment in Spain). I had a hard time looking for jobs in Mexico so I decided to look for jobs everywhere in any country/continent but finally I got a job offer in Mexico.

Currently: Now I just have 1 month and a half working as engineer in Mexico (near Mexico City but out of that state). I am now working as Project Developer in pneumatic/mechanical conveying systems for bulk handling materials (no background experience at all in that field). The main problem: I am working in local conditions, no holidays at all, long-hours a day working (10-12), really bad salary to only survive and I need to be supported by my parents from Spain to have a "decent" life.

I read somewhere else in this forum that is not a bad idea to look for jobs while working and in the past weekend I updated my resume putting in the current job: July 2016 - Present. Now I have many questions: what to do?; where to go?; what in the hell I am doing in this country? (I come from the developed world).

I accepted the job because I really need experience (I am 30 and lack of years of experience) but to be honest, I would need a really good job to want to stay in Mexico in the future (I don`t like Mexico, it`s a poor country). My idea is to gain international experience and come back to Spain (no matter where I gain international experience); international experience in an engineering field could be valuable there but the problem is the financial crisis and the huge unemployment rates in Spain. Of course, is a difficult situation and I am worried about taking bad decisions. I can`t afford it now.

Is a good idea to start looking for jobs right now? What do you think?
Did you try the US?

Have you considered maybe switching fields?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:10 PM

2,383 posts, read 2,034,795 times
Start looking.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,123,540 times
Get into alternative power sources, desalinization, water recovery, that's the future.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:26 AM

704 posts, read 348,248 times
Thanks for the replies.

I think if I have an open mind I will get a decent job. I will consider US as an option, why not? The objective is quite simple: gain some international experience and get a job in my home country. It`s not as hard as someone can think, with experience is possible to find a job in Spain, just bypassing the following problem as I am trying to do right now:

To get a job in Spain is mandatory to have at least 2-3 years of experience ---> You don`t have such experience ----> it`s impossible to get any job in Spain ----> solution: bypass the problem by gaining experience somewhere else ----> you have that experience -----> now it`s possible to get a job in Spain because you meet the initial condition (something like this...).

All I need is good ideas to make it possible. Nightlysparrow, you are right my friend, your idea is not bad at all and I will put it on practice, the wider my job search, the better results I will have. Any other suggestions in respect of countries/places?

Thank you very much.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 PM

6,139 posts, read 3,639,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Thanks for the replies.

To get a job in Spain is mandatory to have at least 2-3 years of experience ---> You don`t have such experience ----> it`s impossible to get any job in Spain ----> solution: bypass the problem by gaining experience somewhere else ----> you have that experience -----> now it`s possible to get a job in Spain because you meet the initial condition (something like this...)..
It's pretty much like that in the U.S.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:55 PM

147 posts, read 114,050 times
Hi Jorge,

Congratulations on your new job. You have successfully established a beachhead in a foreign country that is in dire need of energy infrastructure investments.

Putting aside your desire to go back to your home country now. It is time to think locally, in a big way. Take a look at Mexico's Program Nacional de Infrastructura and see where you fit within this picture, hint: energy Programa Nacional de Infraestructura 2014 Note that the 50% of the scheduled budget is set aside for the energy sector, with 41 projects alone associated with Pemex in oil & gas and 80+ with CFE in power generation: https://www.pwc.com/mx/es/industrias...-ejecutiva.pdf

Before being able to make a successful transition to your field of power generation and oil & gas, you need to kick ass in your current job. In addition, learn the work culture and "Mexican" speak, in other words, go local fully and show that you can successfully lead a project in Mexico, despite being a non-Mexican. Meanwhile, start finding networking opportunities/contacts by attending any seminar or conference if any/available, associated with Pemex/CFE/Secretaria de Energia in the metropolitan Mexico City area. At the same, start formulating in your head, proposals that you can present to the specific projects listed on that Mexico Infrastructure Plan. Aren't you a project manager? You know where I am going with this.

Last edited by mechgator; 09-03-2016 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or