U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:12 PM

7,667 posts, read 3,512,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
My experience is the more STEM type of classes you take, especially engineering and math, the higher you score on those type of tests, but it doesn't mean a thing about how you perform on the job.

I know several people who are unbelievable performers at work. I would absolutely trounce them on an IQ test, but it doesn't mean I could perform at their level on the job.
The job better be truly amazing for me to submit to a test that provides no advantage to ME other than the POSSIBILITY of a job. With professional licensure exams I am granted a license that I can put on my resume and it has a certain measure of respect and credibility.

Some half baked exam from employer Joe has no value outside of that job so if I am going to spend time preparing for and going in to take an onerous exam (since if I am taking said exam it means they don't think the state/federal licensure process ABET degree programs with 4-5 years of testing is good enough) then the package better be truly exemplary for me to be the dog or the pony in the dog and pony show.

We are talking 180k minimum with the full gravy pension medical flex time etc. Other wise im not taking some weird test so a supervisor can get his jollys. I would also need some assurances that I was not just some peasant in the mix of 500 resumes and exams and it would need to be in writing and measurable so it could stand up in court otherwise why subject myself to such nonsense.

Now if this is a job that has very little degree/governmental barriers to entry then it makes total sense to weed out the idiots. To many unknowns to know lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:03 PM

7,463 posts, read 7,881,608 times
I hope the OP gets back to us with more info -- so we can actually know what the heck s/he's talking about.
Can't really help without more specifics.
WHAT exactly is his field? What ARE his qualifications and experience? And WHAT title and level of job is he going for?

Maybe he IS just aiming to darn high. But we can't know that and help him without more info.
The tests aren't even the major issue really…..if he's not at east somewhat realistic about the jobs he's applying for.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:41 PM

179 posts, read 105,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalcore View Post
Always seems like I end up feeling really crappy after interviews and I end up falling short on one thing that gets me rejected. I need to do some soul searching.
You can search your soul to kingdom come and it'll never change interviews. You really cannot prepare for interviews because you have no clue what these people want and whether they had a bad day, or the boss' nephew is getting the job, or they just need to kill time before lunch. In fact, interviewers don't even know what they are looking for, what questions they are asking, or what answers they are listening to. It's all goobledygook. If you get the job, stroke of luck! If you don't, meh, most likely it had NOTHING to do with your interview, so you couldn't change anything even if you tried.

Just live in the moment in interviews. Say and do what you want. That's it. That's all you have to do. If you don't finish the test on time, who cares? Most likely if you finished the test, you still would be rejected and that would be even worse.

For all those who hate interviews and wonder what they did wrong on them. Ask this question at the end before you leave the interview:
"After speaking with me, what concerns do you have that would not make me the top candidate for this position?"

You'll either get your answer of why you didn't get the job or the person will look at you with a blank face and maybe twitch a bit (which is probably an answer as well). No more surprises and you can fix all the problems they tell you that you have for the next interview.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:11 AM

7,447 posts, read 3,556,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
You can search your soul to kingdom come and it'll never change interviews. You really cannot prepare for interviews because you have no clue what these people want and whether they had a bad day, or the boss' nephew is getting the job, or they just need to kill time before lunch. In fact, interviewers don't even know what they are looking for, what questions they are asking, or what answers they are listening to. It's all goobledygook. If you get the job, stroke of luck! If you don't, meh, most likely it had NOTHING to do with your interview, so you couldn't change anything even if you tried.

Just live in the moment in interviews. Say and do what you want. That's it. That's all you have to do. If you don't finish the test on time, who cares? Most likely if you finished the test, you still would be rejected and that would be even worse.

For all those who hate interviews and wonder what they did wrong on them. Ask this question at the end before you leave the interview:
"After speaking with me, what concerns do you have that would not make me the top candidate for this position?"

You'll either get your answer of why you didn't get the job or the person will look at you with a blank face and maybe twitch a bit (which is probably an answer as well). No more surprises and you can fix all the problems they tell you that you have for the next interview.
Fabulous piece of advice!! I usually said...Is there any other questions you have that can tip the scales to see am your employee for Hire! ...But I like your question better.

The last interview, and one that I would have bet the farm I had in the bag..ended with them insisting that next week they would call me back so the President of the company could meet with me. I called them yesterday...and suddenly I got the pass around. Today I got a cookie cutter email that the President had hired the other candidate. I'm to ired to respond to this, since He didn't even set a time to meet my being....
nor do I even know if this is true....They could very well still be looking....

Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 PM

15,106 posts, read 9,946,070 times
I've been on both side of the table. From the employer side, it's not so much who did great. I can tell you a lot of people that score highest in the test don't get the job. So don't worry about faltering. It comes down to other skillsets that you bring, temperament, and looks. I often hear from interviewers what they like about the person and it's usually about the personality. Almost all interviewers dislike people who brag or talk too much.

When I go to an interview, it's hard to prepare for tests however the companies that emphasizes passing testing are the worst places to work for. Very few people can get perfect score, even employees don't.

I also dislike going to multiple interviews at the same company that keeps rescheduling you for different times with different people. Don't waste your time, they're just browsing and looking for that candidate that can please them but in the end they don't end up with the best candidate. This one job that did this to me, in just less than a year the same job I applied for is back on the market. They must have settled with someone who they were forced to take but could not perform the duties.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:20 PM

337 posts, read 170,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The job better be truly amazing for me to submit to a test that provides no advantage to ME other than the POSSIBILITY of a job. With professional licensure exams I am granted a license that I can put on my resume and it has a certain measure of respect and credibility.

Some half baked exam from employer Joe has no value outside of that job so if I am going to spend time preparing for and going in to take an onerous exam (since if I am taking said exam it means they don't think the state/federal licensure process ABET degree programs with 4-5 years of testing is good enough) then the package better be truly exemplary for me to be the dog or the pony in the dog and pony show.

We are talking 180k minimum with the full gravy pension medical flex time etc. Other wise im not taking some weird test so a supervisor can get his jollys. I would also need some assurances that I was not just some peasant in the mix of 500 resumes and exams and it would need to be in writing and measurable so it could stand up in court otherwise why subject myself to such nonsense.

Now if this is a job that has very little degree/governmental barriers to entry then it makes total sense to weed out the idiots. To many unknowns to know lol.
Agree! Next time I will be walking out if I am subjected to hours of testing.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:08 PM

4,991 posts, read 2,564,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
You really cannot prepare for interviews because you have no clue what these people want and whether they had a bad day, or the boss' nephew is getting the job, or they just need to kill time before lunch. In fact, interviewers don't even know what they are looking for, what questions they are asking, or what answers they are listening to. It's all goobledygook. If you get the job, stroke of luck! If you don't, meh, most likely it had NOTHING to do with your interview, so you couldn't change anything even if you tried.
Bingo.

The bold sums up my experience with interviewing since 2014 when I graduated college (haven't been on an interview in a while cause I have a job, but I'm sure things haven't changed a bit). One of my professors actually called me up last spring and asked what I thought about interviewers and the job hunt. I flat out told him, "I get the impression that a lot of them really don't know what they're doing." He laughed. And it's not because I didn't get the job, my ego isn't that big, but I always witnessed the same lack of organization, poor planning, and generally clueless hiring managers always sitting in front of me. I also had a good deal of unprofessional interviews where the HM badmouthed a fellow boss/employee, trashed other companies, asked me about my love life, my parents occupations, and anything else irrelevant under the sun. I had no problem getting interviews, though. I even turned a couple offers down. But I quickly grew tired of interviewing and don't wish it on my own worst enemy.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Bingo.

The bold sums up my experience with interviewing since 2014 when I graduated college (haven't been on an interview in a while cause I have a job, but I'm sure things haven't changed a bit). One of my professors actually called me up last spring and asked what I thought about interviewers and the job hunt. I flat out told him, "I get the impression that a lot of them really don't know what they're doing." He laughed. And it's not because I didn't get the job, my ego isn't that big, but I always witnessed the same lack of organization, poor planning, and generally clueless hiring managers always sitting in front of me. I also had a good deal of unprofessional interviews where the HM badmouthed a fellow boss/employee, trashed other companies, asked me about my love life, my parents occupations, and anything else irrelevant under the sun. I had no problem getting interviews, though. I even turned a couple offers down. But I quickly grew tired of interviewing and don't wish it on my own worst enemy.
Curious if the professor you mentioned this to had heard this from others. As a hiring manager I never subjected candidates to useless interview questions, but I am not experiencing this right now (if you were a fish what kind of fish would you be?--seriously?). I am 56 and laugh all the way home sometimes at some of the questions I am asked. Mind you I have over 20 years of experience in my field and am treated like I don't know what I am talking about. Good for you that you have a job!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:08 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,401,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Curious if the professor you mentioned this to had heard this from others. As a hiring manager I never subjected candidates to useless interview questions, but I am not experiencing this right now (if you were a fish what kind of fish would you be?--seriously?). I am 56 and laugh all the way home sometimes at some of the questions I am asked. Mind you I have over 20 years of experience in my field and am treated like I don't know what I am talking about. Good for you that you have a job!

During a great interview, which I thought for sure I had the job in the bag, the interviewer right at the end asked me if I could be an animal, what animal would I be? and after giving him my answer the absolute look of disappointment on his face was all I needed to know.

All the interviewing psychobabble is pointless.

Any company that relies on these type of questions to decide who they should hire, is a company I have no desire to work for.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
During a great interview, which I thought for sure I had the job in the bag, the interviewer right at the end asked me if I could be an animal, what animal would I be? and after giving him my answer the absolute look of disappointment on his face was all I needed to know.

All the interviewing psychobabble is pointless.

Any company that relies on these type of questions to decide who they should hire, is a company I have no desire to work for.
You got it! In addition to test after test. Gimme me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or