U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:11 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,932,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
During a great interview, which I thought for sure I had the job in the bag, the interviewer right at the end asked me if I could be an animal, what animal would I be? and after giving him my answer the absolute look of disappointment on his face was all I needed to know.

All the interviewing psychobabble is pointless.

Any company that relies on these type of questions to decide who they should hire, is a company I have no desire to work for.

what industry are you in? the last time i did an emergency interview with the manager (they expected me to work prn that day, but i was actually scheduled to do an interview), i never experienced silly questions like those. and we do group interviews with a candidate (the whole side of our department) while we treat the candidate to lunch, and we are very careful with our questions. some of the staff would ask questions like "what do you expect from this team?" or "what can you bring to this team?" or "what concerns do you have so far?" (typically after we have taken the candidate to an on-site tour and following selected members to experience the work environment). we might ask if they have pets, what they enjoy for hobbies/leisure, but we're barred from asking if they're married/single/dating/pregnant (for female candidates). but then again, we typically need any candidate that goes our way anyway lol, hence our more conscientious way of interviewing.

i work in healthcare, and our company is very stringent on diversity/political correctness/privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 10:56 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,403,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
what industry are you in? the last time i did an emergency interview with the manager (they expected me to work prn that day, but i was actually scheduled to do an interview), i never experienced silly questions like those. and we do group interviews with a candidate (the whole side of our department) while we treat the candidate to lunch, and we are very careful with our questions. some of the staff would ask questions like "what do you expect from this team?" or "what can you bring to this team?" or "what concerns do you have so far?" (typically after we have taken the candidate to an on-site tour and following selected members to experience the work environment). we might ask if they have pets, what they enjoy for hobbies/leisure, but we're barred from asking if they're married/single/dating/pregnant (for female candidates). but then again, we typically need any candidate that goes our way anyway lol, hence our more conscientious way of interviewing.

i work in healthcare, and our company is very stringent on diversity/political correctness/privacy.
It was for an engineering job.

On that very same job interview.

"I know I'm not suppose to ask, but how old are you?"

Here is another one for you guys.

The last interview I went on the very FIRST question I was asked was "What does your wife do for a living?"

I'm pretty sure I had a nice deer in the headlight look for a couple seconds, lol.

Last edited by High Altitude; 09-14-2016 at 11:16 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,566,429 times
Quote:

The last interview I went on the very FIRST question I was asked was "What does your wife do for a living?"

I'm pretty sure I had a nice deer in the headlight look for a couple seconds, lol.
I've also been asked my age before, at least three or four times. My most memorable one involving this included a phone screen with an old geezer at a small local company who, at the conclusion of the interview, told me he was really only interested in hiring an older mom for the role. Seriously? Why even bother calling me up? That was a waste of 15 minutes. And I only had one job and a college degree on my resume at the time; surely he could have figured out that I was in my early 20s before asking me towards the end.

I'm surprised (or I guess I shouldn't be) that the age question is still asked. Wouldn't it better for them to just pop your name and location into Google and find out that way rather than blatantly come out and ask, or they just don't care?

Old 09-15-2016, 03:33 PM

179 posts, read 105,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I also had a good deal of unprofessional interviews where the HM badmouthed a fellow boss/employee, trashed other companies, asked me about my love life, my parents occupations, and anything else irrelevant under the sun.
The worst interviews are the ones where the person you are replacing is in the interview as well. The replaced employee (usually "moving up" in the world) sits there with a smug look on his or her face and asks you the most asinine questions about minute details of the job that he or she is currently doing and that you have no clue about. And when you give the "wrong" answer the replacement employee huffs and rolls his or her eyes at you like you are a nobody and can never be AS GOOD AS HE OR SHE IS! In addition, the other interviewers are handcuffed in the questions they ask because they can not say anything bad about the replacement's work since that person is sitting there. And you can't ask questions about the current job and what they are looking for because the replacement will be offended. Always a pleasant interview.

I had a phone interview TWICE with a "technical consultant" who was contracted by the company I was interviewing with to do the job I was interviewing for. That consultant did not want to give that job up, and at the end of the interview I told the company to hire that consultant full time, that NO ONE would be qualified for the position if they relied on the opinion of the consultant in the hiring process. Fun times.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,728 posts, read 57,781,329 times
Quote:

The actual law addresses only the prohibition against discrimination (age, race, color, religion, sex/gender identity/orientation, pregnancy, national origin, or disabilities. It does not prevent asking questions, so I suppose some employers are willing to take a chance and ask them hoping that there will not be a resulting lawsuit or complaint to the EEOC. Of course, they may also just be inexperienced or not too bright. In this case, if you answered, and do in fact have a wife, you and your attorney would still have a difficult time proving that the company didn't hire you because of your age or because you are married to a woman. Your wife's occupation does not put you into a protected class. Marital status could be a factor if someone is hiring for a job that requires a lot of travel. The correct way to ask, however, is whether there is anything in your personal life that would interfere with your ability to travel XX% of the time.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:41 PM

3,597 posts, read 2,038,701 times
I used to think "oh if only I had more interviews to screw up on" and while it does still suck to not even get considered, I still do not feel confident in the fact that I have one.
Interviews mean that yes you beat out most people but at the same time you are in for the most difficult part of the hiring process. You have to beat the very top people and that scares the crap out of me because I have far too much baggage/technically not enough experience to look better than those top people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
For all those who hate interviews and wonder what they did wrong on them. Ask this question at the end before you leave the interview:
"After speaking with me, what concerns do you have that would not make me the top candidate for this position?"

You'll either get your answer of why you didn't get the job or the person will look at you with a blank face and maybe twitch a bit (which is probably an answer as well). No more surprises and you can fix all the problems they tell you that you have for the next interview.
I've asked about concerns but most of the time they will say they're concerned I don't have enough experience so I must have done something else wrong because why would they even bother interviewing me if this was a concern?
Unless it would change the outcome if I said "top candidate"?

Old 09-26-2016, 03:07 PM

179 posts, read 105,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I've asked about concerns but most of the time they will say they're concerned I don't have enough experience so I must have done something else wrong because why would they even bother interviewing me if this was a concern?
Unless it would change the outcome if I said "top candidate"?
If they tell you you don't have enough experience, then it's quite proper to ask them why they called you for an interview in the first place. Something on your resume must have stood out to them. Ask them what it is about your resume that attracted them to call you.

I have gotten the "not enough experience (job gaps)" answer as well, and then went on to explain how my experience was quite relevant and enough for the job posting. I then ask "has my answer addressed the concerns you have?" Last interview, the snotty interviewer said "good answer!" in a snotty tone of voice. Oh well, onward to the next interview. At least I learned about the job gap issue, and have now addressed it on my resume and interview tactics for the next interview.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:44 PM

58 posts, read 37,320 times
Quote:
During a great interview, which I thought for sure I had the job in the bag, the interviewer right at the end asked me if I could be an animal, what animal would I be? and after giving him my answer the absolute look of disappointment on his face was all I needed to know.

All the interviewing psychobabble is pointless.

Any company that relies on these type of questions to decide who they should hire, is a company I have no desire to work for.
So, what animal would you be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or