Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 9,488 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am aiming a bit higher than what my background allows but they did want to interview me and I try to go for what I want. I received an interview for a dream job at a dream company but they wanted to do a timed test. It was more difficult than expected and I didn't even finish. Always seems like I end up feeling really crappy after interviews and I end up falling short on one thing that gets me rejected. I need to do some soul searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:59 AM

270 posts, read 282,492 times
I know what you mean.Interviews just make you feel pressured these days. Back in the day it was relaxed and they only asked about you and your experience. Today its all these behavioral questions and things that don't even have to do with the job. I use to be good at answering but now I just draw a blank. Its very nerve wracking having someone staring at you, waiting for you to answer a question about a time you blah blah blah.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:35 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,260 times
What industry is this for? In my particular line of work, technical interviews have always been the norm, and they usually are the first filter before they even start asking you about your experience.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:10 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
Yeah, I know what you mean. I recently had an interview where I was asked like 6-7 questions. It was tough, and I really didn't make it to an in person interview.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The addition of a test is meant to discover whether someone can actually do the job, since many candidates will exaggerate or lie on their resume. I had an opening for one position where I gave a work sample project, giving the candidates 15 minutes to complete. Those who really knew the work were able to finish and do it right in 5 minutes. Others never finished, or had ridiculous results. It's harder now to get a job for which you are not really well qualified, because they will find out and are not willing to do a lot of training. When you have a few days or a week before the interview, take time to do research, study and even practice for what they might throw at you in their questions and test. One thing that makes a difference for me in hiring is that the person clearly demonstrates a desire to be here, is not just looking for a job, but a job working for us. Again, research is key, knowing facts about the company and mentioning some details in the interview.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:12 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
This is why it makes sense to go for a fed job because the private sector has become just as onerous to get a job. Who in their right mind would want to go through this tedious process after every lay off cycle. At least with a fed job you only have to do it once and then stay until retirement.

These companies want ready made employees but are not willing to offer anything for it (ie iron clad job security with decent pay).

Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
This is why it makes sense to go for a fed job because the private sector has become just as onerous to get a job. Who in their right mind would want to go through this tedious process after every lay off cycle. At least with a fed job you only have to do it once and then stay until retirement.

These companies want ready made employees but are not willing to offer anything for it (ie iron clad job security with decent pay).

one of the few reasons that make me want to get US citizenship eventually--be able to get a federal job.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:56 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
They aren't difficult, just stupid and a waste of time. Talking about my strengths and weaknesses and where I see myself in 5 years tells the interviewer absolutely nothing about how I will perform the job

If I'm ever in charge of hiring, I will talk briefly with the candidate about his experience, let him know what the job entails, and then give him a skills test to see if he can handle the job itself.

When you get the canned, irrelevant interview questions, realize that you are dealing with an idiot.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 PM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,818 times
I have had many, many interviews over the past few years. I suppose it depends upon your field, but I don't find them too difficult. It's the lengthy number of steps and long periods of waiting that can be trying. I have seen some go 4+ separate phone interviews, others will go a month or more before you hear back about anything (if at all). Multiply that by how many times you go through these interviews, and it can wear you down over a period of time. I have had small projects in some that weren't difficult, but did take some time to complete. If you aren't able to complete the tests they give, it is possible the position may not have been good for you.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:05 PM

345 posts, read 252,263 times
Liz Ryan wrote a great article about this:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ten-h...-away-liz-ryan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search