Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,967,916 times

Advertisements

I found this to be an interesting article. It lines up with the complaints a lot of folks in this forum have about job search personality tests.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-working-lives

Quote:
Employers are turning to mathematically modelled ways of sifting through job applications. Even when wrong, their verdicts seem beyond dispute – and they tend to punish the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 AM

12,066 posts, read 23,114,094 times
I took the Kroger pre-hire personality test, whatever it is called. It is clearly designed to weed out people who are confrontational, always have to be right, and do not have a customer service attitude, which I think is a pretty reasonable expectation for a corporation that runs a retail operation in which customer interaction is crucial. I worked with high school kids, folks with graduate degrees, and everything in between, a number of whom would be considered poor, and some of them were fairly stupid, but they possessed the attitude that was wanted and were able to fulfill the roles they were given.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:09 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,476,823 times
what personality tests do people on CD even refer to? all my jobs, the only personality test is to ask current worker if they knew me/of me, and if they want to work with me. And I get ask that for people applying as well. It's a small field, just a few hundred for 1-2 million people.

maybe i missed it in article, but i didn't see how they "punish the poor", but they referred to it without anything to back up the claim.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,967,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
maybe i missed it in article, but i didn't see how they "punish the poor", but they referred to it without anything to back up the claim.
I searched the text for the word "poor." There were 2 sections that specifically reference an effect on the poor.

The first is the one about resumes being filtered by CV keywords and the poor not being able to afford professional resume services that tell them how to optimize their resume by including certain keywords.

The second is about resumes being filtered by distance from the job site. If an employer is located in an area with high-cost housing, filtering by distance discriminates against people who live a longer distance from that area, in housing that is more affordable to them.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,147 posts, read 80,240,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I searched the text for the word "poor." There were 2 sections that specifically reference an effect on the poor.

The first is the one about resumes being filtered by CV keywords and the poor not being able to afford professional resume services that tell them how to optimize their resume by including certain keywords.

The second is about resumes being filtered by distance from the job site. If an employer is located in an area with high-cost housing, filtering by distance discriminates against people who live a longer distance from that area, in housing that is more affordable to them.
Living far from the jobsit, or for that matter being poor, is not a protected class, so discrimination on either of those is perfectly legal. The poor may not be able to affor professional resume help, but there are plenty of free services, including a lot of websites. If anything, the difficulty for the really poor is having to go to a library to apply, if they have no internet, because almost all good jobs require online applications.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:32 PM

but those two things have nothing to do with being "poor"... the author is trying to spin it

I'm not really sure about a professional service either, my resume gets me hired and it isn't from any resume service either

Old 09-05-2016, 03:36 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,012,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

You don't need "professional resume services" to include keywords in the resume and living far from the job site does not equate to being poor. I think the author is reaching.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,918,220 times
Kronos is an evil Master. The one rule to all these tests is answer every question the way they want you to respond. NEVER tell the truth!

Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM

924 posts, read 745,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Living far from the jobsit, or for that matter being poor, is not a protected class, so discrimination on either of those is perfectly legal.
Might be legal, but it's frustrating for those of who are unable to drive, and have to rely on public transit.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
Might be legal, but it's frustrating for those of who are unable to drive, and have to rely on public transit.
frustrating to employers when their employees can't show up on time either if they are so reliant on someone else driving

in cities without good transportation, some employees never show up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search