U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 AM

12,717 posts, read 12,375,487 times

Advertisements

I currently work in the public utilities industry and recently applied for a job in the healthcare industry due to the location, benefits, and high pay of the company. The job is similar to what I currently do now (project management & business analysis). I've been selected for an interview so they obviously saw something liked but I have some questions.

I've never worked in healthcare so it'd be an entirely new experience. I match many of the job posting qualifications/skills like can do X, Y, Z etc. But under preferred they list someone with healthcare experience and then they list out specific healthcare tasks and systems they'd like the person to be knowledgeable about.

I obviously have no experience in their processes or systems or even terminology so how would you go about answer some of the questions like: Why do you want to work in healthcare / for this company? How would you handle getting familiar with the new industry (terminology, processes, systems, etc...)?

Also, how would I best convince them I'd be able to pick up the new industry and all that went with it? I don't want to mess this up!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 AM

My interview is coming up this Wednesday, any tips? I've read stuff online but I'm interested in hearing some actual first hand suggestions, advice, etc...

Old 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM

16,371 posts, read 13,142,474 times
Well you'd better shine your shoes and get some similarities between public and private. Here are some tips on healthcare. The industry is under a great deal of pressure due to declining health care reimbursements. If its a smaller company this will be a key area where costs are under scrutiny e.g. successfully bidding jobs, finding reliable contractors. As well hospital systems are triple inspected as potential for loss of power, fire can be life threatening events in a health care setting. You should bone up on the regs affecting those and have a working understanding of that language. Correlate this to your current industry. Work in hospitals as well is completely different working odd hours not to get in the way of the clinical work and patient care. Loud voices, typical male jocularity while tolerated is not the norm and is noticed. Contractor hiring in hospitals is scrutinized as well and references will play a key part of your interview.

You should get busy. =)

Old 09-14-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Well you'd better shine your shoes and get some similarities between public and private. Here are some tips on healthcare. The industry is under a great deal of pressure due to declining health care reimbursements. If its a smaller company this will be a key area where costs are under scrutiny e.g. successfully bidding jobs, finding reliable contractors. As well hospital systems are triple inspected as potential for loss of power, fire can be life threatening events in a health care setting. You should bone up on the regs affecting those and have a working understanding of that language. Correlate this to your current industry. Work in hospitals as well is completely different working odd hours not to get in the way of the clinical work and patient care. Loud voices, typical male jocularity while tolerated is not the norm and is noticed. Contractor hiring in hospitals is scrutinized as well and references will play a key part of your interview.

You should get busy. =)
Thanks for the information and reply. I have my interview in a few hours and I now know more about the healthcare industry and this company than the average man should know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search