Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 PM

332 posts, read 990,282 times

Advertisements

I have a job that I am looking to leave because I want more responsibility and autonomy. The pay and benefits are actually quite good for the position where I am but I can't deal with being micromanaged any longer. I've interviewed for two higher level positions and made it to the final round of interviews but ultimately wasn't chosen. With two different positions and multiple interviews (two each) for each one I have had to take a lot of time off. It's difficult because being out brings scrutiny, and it forces me to play catch up when I get back in the office. It's also difficult to focus on the job search and to make myself available when employers call for an interview. I had to take a full day from work for one of the first interviews I did because the employer called me in for 11:00 a.m. on a Wednesday and it was an hour away from my current job. I didn't feel as though I was in a position to demand a different time so I took a "sick day."

Would I be better off if I just honestly explained to my current employer that I was leaving (and why), and also explain this honestly to any prospective employer? I should also add that I'm currently enrolled in a Masters program in order to advance my skills and qualifications in the field, so my coursework is also competing. Basically, if I didn't have a job currently I could jump at any opportunity to interview at the prospective employers convenience, but could that also be viewed negatively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 01:43 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
I honestly wouldn't quit unless you definitely have another job in hand. I'm currently looking for a better job myself but I'm not quitting unless I have a solid offer.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:29 PM

242 posts, read 300,398 times
Employers tend to prefer employed candidates and apart from that you don't know when you might get another job so you don't want finances to get tight.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:41 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
It's never a good idea to quit before you have an official job offer in hand with a start date.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
What happens if you quit and then don't land another job for a while? In addition to the possibility of having financial difficulties (school isn't usually cheap), you also are unemployed. Employers often view candidates who are employed as more attractive. Kind of like how the married man or woman looks like a better catch than the long-time single person.

Unless you are independently wealthy, I think you're better off keeping your current job and continuing to make it work with your job-hunting activities.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:12 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It sounds like a bad idea.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:33 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Do you have the needed money saved so you can pay your bills for at least 1 year if you don't get a job quickly after you quit? Do you have availability for health insurance during the time you are unemployed, and funds to pay for it?

It's better to work and interview/apply versus being unemployed. However, I almost always search for work while unemployed. As you notice, you can focus on the job search and interviews much better and you aren't on guilt trips for taking time off from your current job. AND you can fully prepare for each interview because you aren't being rushed from your job to the interview.

Here's a suggestion for you: Try to stick with the current job while you job search - at least until the beginning of January. This way your resume takes you into the new year with a 2017 job. Try to schedule the interviews first thing in the morning as early as possible. Or late in the afternoon as late as possible. This way you can interview before work or after work. Of course a long interview might require another day off but at least you can handle many of the interviews early/late while still working.

Revisit this situation in early January. If you have enough money and if you are able to get health insurance, then consider resigning in January. Modify your resume to have years (without months). So your most recent job would say, for example, 2012-2017. This doesn't make it obvious whether you are working or not. Also it will look a lot better than 2016 as the job end date since they won't know when in 2017 you left(or wouldn't even be sure if you left or not,until they ask in the interview. But by then you will have the opportunity to sell yourself).

Early January (the first week), there will be a larger volume of job openings posted. Be ready for it. This happens every year due to new budget years and also because new jobs from Nov and Dec are sometimes held for January posting because of Nov/Dec holiday related vacations for the interviewers.

If not working, and they ask why, tell them the truth in one or two sentences. When I wasn't working and was job searching , employers didn't hold it against me. Well, I couldn't tell anyway. But I got offers and interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search