Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 08:23 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times

Advertisements

I recently got a tentative offer to join the federal government. They told me the formal offer would take between 1-3 weeks to get approved, and it's been less than one week since they told me that.

At my current work (I work in consulting), I'm about to wrap up the project I'm working on. So I was hoping for a smooth transition. However, my company just signed a new client and they want to assign the project to me and they are working on getting the rest of the staff required for the project. My concern here is that if I get the formal offer approved in a couple weeks, it will likely be at exactly at the same time that the new project is kicking off. So giving notice at that time will be terrible timing for my company, because they are going to have to scramble to find someone else to lead the project.

For them, it would be better if I gave notice now that they are looking for people to staff the project, so that they can also look for a project lead. But I'm not stupid enough to give notice of my intent to leave before I have a formal offer. If things fall through with the government, and I don't take the new project at my current work, I'd end up in a pretty bad situation professionally.

So I'm just looking for some advice on how to deal with something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Do your current job like nothing is happening and then when you accept an offer, put in your notice. Your employer will find someone to do the new work.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:15 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
You do your job as if nothing has changed -- and nothing has changed until you get a written offer and sign it.
How is the project going to be affected if you leave at the start?
Do you think your employer will think about the timing and your life's impact if and when they have to lay you off?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
^^ I agree with the others above.

Don't mention anything at your current job until your offer from the fed govt is far enough along that you already have the offer and background search is over and start date is 2 weeks away. Don't say a peep to anyone at your current job.

Don't worry about the project people changing later at your current job. This happens all the time and companies know how to handle it.

congrats on the new job.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:30 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Until you have signed contract nothing has changed.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:28 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Or you could speak with current supervisor when you get the offer and see if they will pay you more to stay...

Old 09-09-2016, 07:20 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,252 times
Until you have a signed offer from the new employer AND have passed all prerequisites (reference check, drug screening, etc.) you should not give any hint of your job search or possible leaving to your new employer. Job offers fall through at the last minute all the time. That would leave you without a paycheck if you quit too soon, or at a perfect point to be let go if you have them assign the project to someone else and now they know that you are looking to leave. And I agree with the previous poster who suggested that you offer to continue running the project for the old employer as an independent contractor during nights and weekends that you aren't working at your new job. Could be extra cash, and it communicates to your current employer that you will do anything you can to assist in the smooth transition of your duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search