Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 02:38 PM

57 posts, read 63,781 times

Advertisements

Now that I've worked there a full week, well, 1/2 days because the hours are 8-12, I'll give an update. I still think it's perfect, but I was spoken to on Thurs by the boss (owner of the company). She doesn't feel I'm picking up QB fast enough. So I'm on thin ice depending on how next week goes. It's difficult for me because my desk is right next to hers so she hears every click of the mouse and every click of the keyboard and sees everything I'm doing. So if I stop to look at something and think for a second, she jumps right in. I know I could get it if I was given a little bit of time. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 03:56 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
No big deal. Learn QB the best you can and if you get fired at least you can take that experience elsewhere. People are always looking for that skill.

The real issue is on management hiring less skilled workers because they don't want to pay and not being willing to train and have the patience for people to get up to speed. In less than a month you would be just fine.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
No big deal. Learn QB the best you can and if you get fired at least you can take that experience elsewhere. People are always looking for that skill.

The real issue is on management hiring less skilled workers because they don't want to pay and not being willing to train and have the patience for people to get up to speed. In less than a month you would be just fine.
Exactly my plans. I bought a "QuickBooks for Dummies" book and have been reading and studying the notes I've taken. I had planned on offering to take a cut in pay until I got up to speed, but now I think I've changed my mind after speaking to a couple people. She knew going in I haven't touched QB for close to 17 years. I think I'm doing pretty damned good. And I've also been out of the work force for a year and a half. Not asking for special treatment just a bit of time to get the rust off and I'll be a great employee.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
You are doing the right thing. Never negotiate your pay downward on training related matters.

Work on your skills on your own time. See if quick books has a free trial version you can download and practice on. When you have a victory if some sort by mastering a new skill, celebrate it and make sure your boss realizes that you have made progress.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Today was a success. I went in and gave her a rundown of how Friday went (she wasn't there) and she was very pleased with how I did. I let her know the couple mistakes I made, you know, the things you remember in the middle of the night that you didn't do or did wrong, and she either said not to worry or showed me how to fix them. Then we went about our day and later she told me she was please with my progress and I told her I studied my notes and bought QB for Dummies and she told me I should bring it in so when it was slow I could use it with the software.

All in all, she's happy so I'm happy. I'm going to learn as much as I can just in case.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Glad to hear it. Most people are understanding of mistakes, particularly when you admit the mistake and take steps to prevent them.

You sound like an ideal employee to me.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 PM

Thank you. I like to think I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search