Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:00 AM

602 posts, read 505,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Driving record? I know the President probably doesn't drive, but wouldn't it say something about that persons character. After all, I am sure plenty of employers feel that way.
The problem with routinely checking driving records for positions that do not involve driving as a part of the job is if the applicant can't drive because of a disability then there could be discrimination issues. (The employer can ask if an applicant would have reliable transportation to get to work on time though - this is another example of one of those questions that can be asked but only phrased in a certain way that doesn't overreach.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's become more standard .. Across the board. while I think it needs to be aligned to the relevance of the job duties..
But as the other poster conveyed .. My list is out of context? Irrelevant .. (??). Tell that when you information is not secured .. And you are sitting before the courts having to explain you were not shopping in Nigeria.
These companies are not obligated to secure your information if they have no employer/employee relations..
So maybe it is relevant. Hmmmm...
And you know that how?

Here in Silicon Valley, in your typical private sector tech company, that is definitely not so.

1: Drug testing consent form -- well, yes.

2: Medical History- Mental/Physical- release forms -- no.

3: Driving Record- Includes violations and accident claims -- no, unless it's a job involving driving.

4: Federal/ State/ local Criminal Records- (You pay for them before getting hired) -- yes, buy the employee does not pay for this background check.

5: Consumer Report -- not sure what this is ... credit report? yes, part of background check.

6: Business Tax credit (WOTC)- -- huh? No.

7: Complete work history with wage -- well, yes. Part of background check.

8: voluntary waiver of rights to information ( I like how its "voluntary", if you don't sign it , they refuse to consider you for the application) -- No. Applicants usually have rights to the background check info.

9: College transcripts with Professor references -- well, if you're straight out of college, sure!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 AM

602 posts, read 505,129 times
The "business tax credit" form is when an employer is eligible for a tax credit incentive to hire employees from certain groups.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
The "business tax credit" form is when an employer is eligible for a tax credit incentive to hire employees from certain groups.
Ok, but that's a form the IRS requires from the applicant and is certainly not "standard". It benefits both the applicant and the employer.
Not sure what the complaint is.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8850.pdf

Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ok, but that's a form the IRS requires from the applicant and is certainly not "standard". It benefits both the applicant and the employer.
Not sure what the complaint is.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8850.pdf
That form is entirely for the
Employer. A 20% credit during the duration of the new hires employ. The employee receives no credit. And no the irs Does not require it of the employee. This is completely an incentive for the employer.
So next time a person is hired.. Politely negotiate for 10% more in wage if you filled out that form. Consider it a bargaining chip .
You are not mandated to fill it out.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:40 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Why worry about these things if you have nothing to hide?

I never did drugs in my life, I haven't learned to drive yet since I take mass transit and I drink occasionally.

It's standard to check this stuff.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:49 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Employer. A 20% credit during the duration of the new hires employ. The employee receives no credit. And no the irs Does not require it of the employee. This is completely an incentive for the employer.
So next time a person is hired.. Politely negotiate for 10% more in wage if you filled out that form. Consider it a bargaining chip .
No, you are not mandated to fill it out. The employer isn't mandated to hire you either, and may decide not to if you don't fill it out.

The concept behind the WOTC credit is that it makes it less expensive for bipusinesses to hire veterans and people on public assistance, so they will hire more of them. I doubt this works in practice, so I view the program as simply another type of corporate welfare. That doesn't mean that you want to establish yourself as a non-cooperative employee when you sit down and refuse to fill out some of the on-boarding paperwork.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
It's an incentive for the employer to hire you ... a quid pro quo.
If you don't want to fill it out, the employer may not be incent-ed to hire you... which kind of flies against your goal of getting hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search