Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 07:10 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,081,683 times

Advertisements

For many years I struggled with finding jobs. I remember the newspaper ads (yes, way back) and watched as many more people had to work full time just to get employed. Then someone said to me..."get a license". After years I took some aptitude tests and did some informational interviewing. In 1993 I got that license as an R.N.

By having a license you are looking for job and eliminating 90% of all the frustration and madness. CT tech, RN, MD, Radiologist tech, you name it. You are competing with thousands LESS people. Now having been a nurse for 23 years I still see so many people struggling just to pay the pills for the job that is sought after by hundreds, many of whom always will be equally qualified as yourself. Health care jobs are in demand. I receive 10 calls (and more) a week asking for help some paying upwards of $75/hr.

If you are considering a big change and like people enough to be interested in them I can tell you gosh it's so much easier, less stressful (by a billion) and satisfying work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,351,830 times
indeed, healthcare jobs (especially those involving direct patient care) are among the most stable jobs out there, but then again, some people don't want to have to deal with messes, body fluids, germs, cranky sick people etc. they'd rather go to work with as much styling aids, makeup, nail polish, jewelery and fragrance (for men as well) as they can get.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:31 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,433,752 times
Yes, furthering the education with a trade or healthcare skill.. Does place you on a different shelf of discovery.
So let's just get folks educated ! I mean there is no upfront debt to do so or any aptitude that needs passed. Ohh yeah that's right.. Gotta spend money to make money.
I'm glad you pursued and are reaping the benefits.

I'm passed the age to invest or get back in the game. matter of fact.. After seeing how the game is orchestrated.. Not to keen on contributing further. It's the changing of the guards.. And this shift from common decency has been sold out for "the bottom line". Whenever I hear the phrase :" It's just business"I know that an unethical statement is about to be uttered.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:37 AM

429 posts, read 390,407 times
everybody knows this. Do you think this is news? Getting into an occupation that involves science, medical and lots of math equates to major money. Did it ever dawn on you that not everybody is good at math and science? If they were, everyone would go into nursing, chemistry and medical fields. Some have artistic talents and make major bucks there. Others are good with numbers; they go into finance or to Wall St. Some of us just don't have it in our DNA for nursing or medical brain surgery. You do what you do and I'll do what I do. Live and let live.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
everybody knows this. Do you think this is news? Getting into an occupation that involves science, medical and lots of math equates to major money. Did it ever dawn on you that not everybody is good at math and science? If they were, everyone would go into nursing, chemistry and medical fields. Some have artistic talents and make major bucks there. Others are good with numbers; they go into finance or to Wall St. Some of us just don't have it in our DNA for nursing or medical brain surgery. You do what you do and I'll do what I do. Live and let live.
Yes I do think it's news from all the dis-satifaction I have read here for years my suggestion may not be as "well known" as you say.

And yes, for people with attitudes such as your own I strongly recommend that you find a trade where you specifically don't interact with others. You seem to be really bad at it or cutting you slack maybe it's just a bad day for you.

That said, it's more about a helpful attitude which can overcome many of the math or science barriers leading to success in the fields of science and caring for others. The talent to help heal others is not based upon heart and should, brainiac helps but comes next on many occasions to getting people well.

Attempt to derail thread noted.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:11 AM

429 posts, read 390,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Yes I do think it's news from all the dis-satifaction I have read here for years my suggestion may not be as "well known" as you say.

And yes, for people with attitudes such as your own I strongly recommend that you find a trade where you specifically don't interact with others. You seem to be really bad at it or cutting you slack maybe it's just a bad day for you.

That said, it's more about a helpful attitude which can overcome many of the math or science barriers leading to success in the fields of science and caring for others. The talent to help heal others is not based upon heart and should, brainiac helps but comes next on many occasions to getting people well.

Attempt to derail thread noted.
I never asked for your recommendations regarding trades. Your advice on my personal choice of occupations is unsolicited. You know nothing about me, what I do or anybody on these threads. "Helping attitude" cannot overcome math/science barriers. Wow that's some myth. So according to you, if I possess a "helping attitude" it's ok if I can't do chemistry or calculus? Or, say algebra? Because that's what you need to get a nursing degree. They test you before you even apply for that major in college. That's what you need to get a BS and an RN license.So if I can't stand the sight of blood or other bodily fluids that's ok, just have a "helping attitude?" Are you really a "Nurse?" This isn't real.

Helping others is not a talent. Helping others is a personal characteristic. It' a personal attribute.Talent is inventing a new drug that cures an illness...talent is painting the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. Talent is singing La Boheme (opera). Talent is inventing a new computer system. ..Bill Gates...Steve Jobs...

Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I never asked for your recommendations regarding trades. Your advice on my personal choice of occupations is unsolicited. You know nothing about me, what I do or anybody on these threads. "Helping attitude" cannot overcome math/science barriers. Wow that's some myth. So according to you, if I possess a "helping attitude" it's ok if I can't do chemistry or calculus? Or, say algebra? Because that's what you need to get a nursing degree. They test you before you even apply for that major in college. That's what you need to get a BS and an RN license.So if I can't stand the sight of blood or other bodily fluids that's ok, just have a "helping attitude?" Are you really a "Nurse?" This isn't real.

Helping others is not a talent. Helping others is a personal characteristic. It' a personal attribute.Talent is inventing a new drug that cures an illness...talent is painting the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. Talent is singing La Boheme (opera). Talent is inventing a new computer system. ..Bill Gates...Steve Jobs...
Rrrright... so a post showing up on a public forum is talking just to you out of the blue offering you advice.

Last edited by AADAD; 09-26-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,762,017 times
Quote:

I like how you derailed a helpful post with someone sharing an experience.

I agree with some of your points but there was no need to go off on the OP like that.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I like how you derailed a helpful post with someone sharing an experience.

I agree with some of your points but there was no need to go off on the OP like that.
It's quite alright. We deal with that kind of attitude every day in the ER. Not a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search