Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 AM

62 posts, read 732,371 times

Advertisements

include the Job on your Resume, Application, Employment history, etc. I hear many people say different things regarding this, some say employers can only give out certain, limited information, like only the dates and if the person is rehirable, or that employers can give out any information they want to other employers about a former employee, and some say it is illegal for employers to do that, and others say the oppossite, and does it vary per state? Overall, can Employers still find out that you were fired from a previous job even if you do not include that job on your employment history, resume, application, etc.? They say your SSN gives out that information, and some people say that your SSN is not supposed to give out that type of information. So i'm confused
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,458 times
Based on my personal knowledge (so take it for what its worth) former employers normally do not give out much information aside from dates worked, position, and pay. Saying more may get them into trouble but it would still be hard to prove if a reference flat out lied--other than that its all legal information. Many companies are going to 3rd party verifiers for this reason. It removes the connection between the parties.

You can request your employment record through the social security office. It costs $14 (or there about)for each year of information. This information lists the employer, dates of employment, and wages.

An employer can find out everywhere you have worked before if they look hard enough. It also depends on who they contract to do their background checks. There are 3 leading companies that are used. They retain information on each check and can easily include other employment you did not list if they have that info.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 105,185 times
I think you are over estimating the ability of those background investigation firms in verifying previous employment of applicants. I was told that they are call centers with where they have hundreds of reps calling hundreds of places every day. It is a numbers game and it is to their advantage to get the information verified as soon as possible and then move on to the next order.

All they really can do is just verify the information that is given to them. They do not have access to some social security database with salary and dates of employment.

Anyone diagree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Based on my personal knowledge (so take it for what its worth) former employers normally do not give out much information aside from dates worked, position, and pay. Saying more may get them into trouble but it would still be hard to prove if a reference flat out lied--other than that its all legal information. Many companies are going to 3rd party verifiers for this reason. It removes the connection between the parties.

You can request your employment record through the social security office. It costs $14 (or there about)for each year of information. This information lists the employer, dates of employment, and wages.

An employer can find out everywhere you have worked before if they look hard enough. It also depends on who they contract to do their background checks. There are 3 leading companies that are used. They retain information on each check and can easily include other employment you did not list if they have that info.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Question View Post
I think you are over estimating the ability of those background investigation firms in verifying previous employment of applicants. I was told that they are call centers with where they have hundreds of reps calling hundreds of places every day. It is a numbers game and it is to their advantage to get the information verified as soon as possible and then move on to the next order.

All they really can do is just verify the information that is given to them. They do not have access to some social security database with salary and dates of employment.

Anyone diagree?
I had said the OP has access to the SS history. Third parties do use the info you give but with so many companies using places like HireRight and The Work Number it is easy to find out info.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,623 times
Who would have ever thought we would come to a time where employers looked for ways to get around laws.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Who would have ever thought we would come to a time where employers looked for ways to get around laws.
probably because of the crappy, horrible economy, employers have become more picky and choosy, because of the more competition unfortuneately

Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 PM

so does it really vary per state or not?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,567 times
How long would the gap be if you left out that employer? If longer than a few months how are you going to explain it?

Unless it was for something serious like theft or assault on another employer, I can't see how being terminated would necessarily hurt you.

Except for the "protected classes" and minimum wage almost all employment laws are State laws.

To save themselves from the potential lawsuit most will not give more information than dates employed, wage, eligible for rehire, some will only give dates employed.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
How long would the gap be if you left out that employer? If longer than a few months how are you going to explain it?

Unless it was for something serious like theft or assault on another employer, I can't see how being terminated would necessarily hurt you.

Except for the "protected classes" and minimum wage almost all employment laws are State laws.

To save themselves from the potential lawsuit most will not give more information than dates employed, wage, eligible for rehire, some will only give dates employed.
how about being fired for attendence issues?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCpopculturelover View Post
how about being fired for attendance issues?
That isn't good, I know many places where that is the only reason anyone is ever fired, some people just don't "get" point systems.

It comes down to what the gap in employment is and what the explanation would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search