Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,954 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get your advice. I've been reading the countless threads on similar matters already posted here, yet none of them quite pertains to my individual situation.

I have a conditional job offer (contingent on successfully completing a background check through TrueScreen) from an extremely large, well known company.

Here's where it gets a little sticky. When I first came to the USA, I was advised by a particularly bad / unscrupulous /idiotic recruiter to put an "Associates" degree down on my resume as equivalent education experience to what I achieved in the UK. At that time I was simply naive, did so, and have had no issues whatsoever in gaining two wonderful jobs (that didn't require a degree, mind) thus far. (I didn't at all put a major or minor or even area of study, I simply put Associates: Name of College (2007).

This job, also, doesn't require a degree - however, and it's only at the job offer stage that this even came up, I was told that of course a thorough background check will be completed and education will be verified as part of that. On the actual background check form, I was 100% honest when I put down what education I had actually achieved in the UK, and listed the name of the college and my attendance dates accordingly. My concern is that this potentially creates a discrepancy between what's listed on my resume, and what's listed by me on the background check form.

I believe I did the correct thing on the background check form, and of course prior to submitting the background check I immediately emailed the recruiter and advised her that the Associates degree I listed on my resume was indeed designed to represent equivalent education experience. She emailed back saying I did the right thing in the way I listed in on the background check form and should be fine, however I'm still absolutely terrified of the consequences now.

Does anyone in HR / recruiting, or anyone who's had experience with TrueScreen, have any input on this? I'm aware the onus is fully on me to ensure my resume is 100% accurate, and that I should never have listened to that particular recruiter in the first place. I was just stupid, and hoping that I haven't made a fatal mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:34 PM

Also, just an afterthought, but on the actual job application and in all conversations with the recruiter(s) involved I never mentioned that I was a degree holder whatsoever. It's simply at the very tail end of my resume.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:30 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
What degree did you receive in the UK?

I would doubt this would be an issue.. I would suspect it won't even get flagged, since you didn't put it on the form.. Which is likely what they're going off of.

Even attending college is pretty dang close to equivalent of an Associates degree. Not knocking them, I have one myself..

Old 02-06-2015, 09:55 PM

285 posts, read 534,717 times
I doubt it would be an issue. If it comes up, just explain that you put down the US equivalent of the education you received in the UK. Since a degree isn't even required for the job, I don't think it will present an issue. Usually they only verify to make sure people with bachelors/masters etc actually have the degree/education level they claim to have. Since you did genuinely attend college and didn't make up a degree, that's all they'll care about.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:15 AM

That's what I'm hoping! I'm sure it's just because this is my dream job that I'm thinking of every possible way they might say "Oh, sorry, we meant to send that offer letter to someone else!"

Double checked and the only requirement was whatever a GED is, and also double checked my entries on the background check and job application - didn't mention it whatsoever.

Just TrueScreen seem absolutely terrifying!

Old 11-04-2016, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,478 times
Hey, So can you tell us what happened? I am also going through a background check which is taking a long time and I am terrified by it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search