Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 32,054 times

Advertisements

This is my first post on this forum but it seems to be filled with reasonably intelligent individuals so I will pose my query here.

I have worked in the IT industry for a good while now and accrued valuable certifications, education and experience. I have finally gotten the fortitude to change careers to a company I was really excited to work for. The issue here is that after my initial application process which was completed on their corporate site I was contacted by their recruiter (one of the many they have) and informed that I had passed their screening. Then I was interviewed on the phone and excelled with flying colors and was then told to interview in person. I interviewed on the 28th of January with their IT staff and manager who had to fly from Canada to speak with me they were extraordinarily pleased that I knew every facet, every detail, and every historically pertinent piece of information about the company. After the interview I got copies of their business cards and sent them both individual thank you letters expressing that I was enamored with the idea of working with this company and thanking them for their time. This was taken very well and I was later contacted by their senior recruiter who said everything looked great, but the start date would not be until early march and I needed to speak with one last gentleman in person and check my references before they could continue the process. Unfortunately the IT Manager was completing training in Canada and would arrive the first Monday of this month so he would be seeing me shortly thereafter I obliged and said it was not a problem (I live and work ~3 miles from the Company). Two days later my references called and told me that they had been contacted by the Company and felt really good about what they said. The IT Manager interview took place exactly one week ago today and the interview seemed to go well and I felt that I answered his technical questions appropriately and accurately. He said the HR Manager would call me shortly to continue the process.

I have received no correspondence as of yet. I have sent several follow up emails, but no one has replied back. Everything seemed to go spectacularly well up to this point I have sent the thank you letters, was very well prepared for the interview with pearlized paper resumes in custom envelopes for each interviewer when I saw every one of them, prepped my references, and expressed genuine interest in this position yet I haven't heard back from anyone.

Have I done something wrong? It would be very odd for a company of this size and stature not to tell me one way or the next so I am honestly perplexed. How long should I wait before I call my interviewers if at all? E-mails don't seem to get replied to, but to avoid looking anxious I have refrained to only sending one per 5 days. Is it time to call?

Sorry for being so verbose, but I feel like this is a truly great career move for me to make and I really love the company I interviewed at. Inpatient? Out of luck? or just crazy? Thanks again in advance for your input.

-iToast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,490,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iToast View Post
This is my first post on this forum but it seems to be filled with reasonably intelligent individuals so I will pose my query here.

I have worked in the IT industry for a good while now and accrued valuable certifications, education and experience. I have finally gotten the fortitude to change careers to a company I was really excited to work for. The issue here is that after my initial application process which was completed on their corporate site I was contacted by their recruiter (one of the many they have) and informed that I had passed their screening. Then I was interviewed on the phone and excelled with flying colors and was then told to interview in person. I interviewed on the 28th of January with their IT staff and manager who had to fly from Canada to speak with me they were extraordinarily pleased that I knew every facet, every detail, and every historically pertinent piece of information about the company. After the interview I got copies of their business cards and sent them both individual thank you letters expressing that I was enamored with the idea of working with this company and thanking them for their time. This was taken very well and I was later contacted by their senior recruiter who said everything looked great, but the start date would not be until early march and I needed to speak with one last gentleman in person and check my references before they could continue the process. Unfortunately the IT Manager was completing training in Canada and would arrive the first Monday of this month so he would be seeing me shortly thereafter I obliged and said it was not a problem (I live and work ~3 miles from the Company). Two days later my references called and told me that they had been contacted by the Company and felt really good about what they said. The IT Manager interview took place exactly one week ago today and the interview seemed to go well and I felt that I answered his technical questions appropriately and accurately. He said the HR Manager would call me shortly to continue the process.

I have received no correspondence as of yet. I have sent several follow up emails, but no one has replied back. Everything seemed to go spectacularly well up to this point I have sent the thank you letters, was very well prepared for the interview with pearlized paper resumes in custom envelopes for each interviewer when I saw every one of them, prepped my references, and expressed genuine interest in this position yet I haven't heard back from anyone.

Have I done something wrong? It would be very odd for a company of this size and stature not to tell me one way or the next so I am honestly perplexed. How long should I wait before I call my interviewers if at all? E-mails don't seem to get replied to, but to avoid looking anxious I have refrained to only sending one per 5 days. Is it time to call?

Sorry for being so verbose, but I feel like this is a truly great career move for me to make and I really love the company I interviewed at. Inpatient? Out of luck? or just crazy? Thanks again in advance for your input.

-iToast

You aren't alone.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,842,521 times
iToast - completely normal. Been there...many times. Worse time was last year...went all the way through drug testing and was just waiting for a start date. Job offer was made and accepted, thus the drug test. Turned out, company did not have the funding for the req...recruiter did not know that either! P***sed is an understatement of the year!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 32,054 times
I certainly hope that it is normal it is just racking my brain and nerves. Though funding may not be an issue with this corporation as they have moved their headquarters to the city I live and are quite profitable. However, I understand completely. Should I contact the last person I talked to tomorrow and try to discern what the status is/get contact info for the HR person in charge of making me an offer. They were supposed to call by the end of last week so...

Old 02-26-2008, 08:13 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,490,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iToast View Post
I certainly hope that it is normal it is just racking my brain and nerves. Though funding may not be an issue with this corporation as they have moved their headquarters to the city I live and are quite profitable. However, I understand completely. Should I contact the last person I talked to tomorrow and try to discern what the status is/get contact info for the HR person in charge of making me an offer. They were supposed to call by the end of last week so...

I would keep looking for a job. I would sit back and watch what this company does next. They might be getting people to accept jobs with them, then they will pick someone. It would be like if a place made you an offer, and you accepted, and then someone better made you an offer...
So...until you get a letter which says you have an offer and an amount of pay with a start date, I would just keep looking quietly.
If you had to move, you'd need that letter to apply for a place to live to show proof of income too.
Every place is the same. Money is the god. Just look out for yourself.

"The Michelle Thing"
I had one employer play games.
It's the old "we found someone else and we don't want to tell you, just in case this person doesn't work out, we can keep you for a backup" game.
I drove 5 hours for an interview, and the manager tells me she wanted another person to meet with me but "they aren't here today." I guess she didn't believe in calling me up and rescheduling and saving me some gasoline and miles. She said they would reschedule. It was over month before I heard back from them. Naturallly, I had still been looking for a job during this time. They asked me to come back again, and I thought, Okay, I will be flexible, I need a job, so I went. They told me they had interviewed someone else with more experience, but she didn't want the job.
The interview wasn't well structured and I went home thinking they didn;t want me. A long drive home. But hey, it is experience to interview, and one never can tell, it could have been a good place.
About a month later, this manager calls me and says "We at XYZ are extending an offer of this job and $X in pay." I accepted the offer. Then, she said, "I will need you to start here in 2 weeks." Now, she knew I lived out of state and had a child and would need to relocate. I told her, I will go there and look for a place. This was a small town, and I knew the pickings for a place to live weren't going to be plenty. I told her once I got a move in date, I could give her a firm start date. She then said, "Oh, don't worry, we are still interviewing." I said, "What? You just made me an offer and I accepted it." She said, "Oh, but we are still looking." She then told me they had a part time job of 16 hours per week they needed to fill. Ohhhhhhh....I get it now....She was going to let me accept the full time job, get a place and move there, and then spring the part time job on me. Gotcha.
Oh, okay, I get it...they had someone else, and wanted me as a backup. They took almost 3 months to interview me, and then wanted me to move and start in 2 weeks. She made me an offer I couldn't come through with, I couldn't guarantee I'd be in a place and starting in 2 weeks since I was out of state.
This kind of stuff is really bad.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,390,689 times
All of the important players may be out with the flu. Half of my office is home sick.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:22 AM

236 posts, read 1,082,812 times
Where do these HR people get off? How can someone leave their human being form in the parking lot when they get to work and play games with other people's lives? I really don't know how they sleep at night. A person would be better off to take the $500 or $1,000 and buy lottery tickets with it than to try to get a better job.

I guess I got spoiled when I was a truck driver. If I wanted to go back to doing that, I could spend the day on the phone, choose from several companies and have a plane ticket in the morning.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,274,114 times
For lack of a better analogy, I treat interviews with a "one night stand" attitude. By that I mean I leave my interview with a take it or leave it stance. It is true that some of the best positions that you think you've landed never come through; on the other hand, there are at least two that I've nailed when I thought I wouldn't. What's disconcerting is being led on, and it really is kind of like a bad date. You have high hopes, and then, POOF!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,698,860 times
Believe me, we have seen it firsthand in the last 4 weeks, that the wheels of the corporate world goooooo verrrrrrrrrrrry slooooooooow....It may be a lot of things like illness as mentioned above, funding, trying to decide how much to offer, or hopefully not, but the company's president's son may now have an interest in working for him and he wants to put him in IT. So, that said, keep looking. You have done all you can, like following up with calls/letters, and anymore on your part right now will make you look desperate. Just wait another week or so then, maybe place a call to the HR saying, that the last guy said you would be contacted by HR and you'd like to follow up on it. good luck!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM

114 posts, read 817,427 times
Yep, sounds very familiar. There are so many factors that come into play which most of the responders have mentioned. But pick up the phone and be straight and firm with them. Perhaps you could tell them that you have a job offer and need to make a decision in 24 or 48 hours. Tell them that how much you would prefer to work for them. Its so ridiculous what companies do. But maybe this isn't the job for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search