Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times

Advertisements

Whether you are unemployed, underemployed, or just want a new and/or better job I encourage you all to try to apply for a job a day. My strategy is to scope out jobs online at work during my breaks/lunch and find a good one and then bookmark it and apply for it when I get home from work (tailor resume, do all that online Taleo crap) etc...

I just wanted to start a thread to encourage everyone to try to do at least one per day. Doesn't need to be every day but this thread is just for encouragement. Post here what you applied for whether it's a CEO of a multinational corp or a retail worker position.

What did you apply for today?

Today I applied for a Management Analyst position that is probably above my level but I figured I'd give it a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 02:06 AM

36 posts, read 49,180 times
today, i followed up to my application at a fast food place, woo

Old 11-28-2016, 07:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Good thread. I am doing this currently myself. I applied to 7 yesterday, have a plan to apply on weekdays after work. It was easier when I was off weekdays since I could interview quickly if needed. Having the standard office hours will make this more challenging, even though my workplace is unstable, often doesn't pay on time and it may end tomorrow anyway.

Motivation is always good Mr. Geek, Hope this thread inspires many!

Old 11-28-2016, 07:51 AM

Needless to say I guess I started this thread at a bit of a bad time with the Holidays and all. I took the long weekend off from applying (Thursday to Sunday) but I'm back at it today. I'm currently bookmarking some postings on LinkedIn that I'll apply for later today.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:05 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,989 times
This is a good challenge - I've been applying in ebbs and flows (once I start getting into the interview process, I tend to look and apply less). Waiting to hear back on the most recent role I interviewed for, they should have a decision this week, but I need to keep applying anyway.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Old 11-28-2016, 10:22 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,043 times
I do this on my lunch break and on the train.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:26 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
so what happens when your references get tired of being called? its not like its hard to get interviewed. and only so many places in town to apply before you run out of options. you can avoid this by giving them references after interview if you decide to proceed, but still... getting interviewed 8-9 times out of 10 is tiring

i apply maybe once every year or two, so i update resume and see what going rate for those new skills are. why bother applying more often?

Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so what happens when your references get tired of being called? its not like its hard to get interviewed. and only so many places in town to apply before you run out of options. you can avoid this by giving them references after interview if you decide to proceed, but still... getting interviewed 8-9 times out of 10 is tiring

i apply maybe once every year or two, so i update resume and see what going rate for those new skills are. why bother applying more often?
This post is for people actively looking for a new job. It sounds as if you're not looking if you apply one time per year or two. Where I'm at I'd never get interviewed 8-9 times out of ten. You should write a book or something. And places only call my references when they are preparing an offer and I don't get to that stage too often so my references don't get bothered.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:10 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This post is for people actively looking for a new job. It sounds as if you're not looking if you apply one time per year or two. Where I'm at I'd never get interviewed 8-9 times out of ten. You should write a book or something. And places only call my references when they are preparing an offer and I don't get to that stage too often so my references don't get bothered.
Agreed - I am in NYC, so it's not like there is a lack of jobs, but there is a ton of competition. I have been looking since April/May ish, and have only submitted my references once so far in the process.

Actively looking is a very different animal than what you seem to be describing.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:02 AM

Yesterday was a good day because I found and applied for two jobs that I think I'm qualified for. Some days it feels a bit difficult to find one let alone two. The area I'm applying doesn't have as many jobs as where I'm at now (Los Angeles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search